Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2009, 11:40   #31

4 men

When stormy and at the helm using a laundry detergent bottle with the spout removed is safer than over the side. It can be used without standing if need be. If you lived somewhere where long traffic jams were the norm wouldn't similar devices be better than soaking your car seats.
blgklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 11:54   #32

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennsnow View Post
As a fairly new sailor and typically just a reader of this forum, not contributor (as I really feel I have no knowledge to share yet)
I take issue with this statement.

Quote:
...., I am sometimes appaled at the comments of other members. I find it very discouraging at times that instead of people being supportive and open to new ideas they are quick to judge and put people down. I realize this is a free world and you are entitled to your own opinion but really - what ever happened to - if you don't have anything nice to say than don't say anything at all? Especially in reagards to a matter that is not life or death and does not effect you personally! Get over yourselves! Ok - rant over and I hope that most of the members whom this does not apply you do not take offense.
"not contributor".... ?

I think you just did.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 12:01   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace View Post
To jennsnow -
Hear, hear.
and another hear ....here
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 12:23   #34

Boat: not yet!

s/v faith: you caught me! So much for "sailing under the radar"
jennsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 13:08   #35

Boat: Privilege 37
Whilst broadly agreeing with the principle that there are too many people who shout out against a new idea just because it was not invented last century, dissenting voices have a major part to play in forum life.

As for this gadget, it certainly does have some applications. Military particularly, and for ladies on cross country skiing immediately leap to mind.

However for use on a yacht -- I personally dislike the practice of peeing over the stern, or from the leeward shrouds. A practice developed by mono owners whose heads compartment is to small to swing a cat even when upright, and dammed uncomfortable when close hauled. Certainly not a problem in a modern catamaran - and as for the argument that you are saving wear - I am sorry, but if your equipment is that fragile, replace it with something more robust.
Old 21-09-2009, 13:18   #36

Boat: not yet!
Talbot - agreed! I certainly do not think one has to agree with everything that someone says just for the sake of being polite. I was simply trying to point out that some of the comments/comparisons were rude and constructive criticisms are far more productive than being negative just for the sake of being negative. Thank you for reminding me of that
jennsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 13:19   #37
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Come on, Moitissier didn't even bother unzipping his foulies! .

Re: the funnel/tube, Underway, who cares? Seems like a useful innovation.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 13:26   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talbot View Post
... However for use on a yacht -- I personally dislike the practice of peeing over the stern, or from the leeward shrouds. A practice developed by mono owners whose heads compartment is to small to swing a cat even when upright, and dammed uncomfortable when close hauled. Certainly not a problem in a modern catamaran - and as for the argument that you are saving wear - I am sorry, but if your equipment is that fragile, replace it with something more robust.
Most of us, whose personal equipment might be described as “cat-like”, don’t generally swing it.
Whether our personal equipment (cat-like OR rooster-like) is fragile or not; it’s generally impractical to replace it.

S&S: Bernard Montessier might not be the best exemplar of personal hygene.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 13:31   #39
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post

S&S: Bernard Montessier might not be the best exemplar of personal hygene.

LOL, true, so true.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 14:56   #40

Boat: Rainbow 24
Oddly enough, we have a local company that's been promoting the heck out of their Go-Girl product, which sounds like the original poster's invention, minus the tube. Our local news team featured some of the ladies who were shilling at our recent State Fair, along with Fair-goer's reactions. The level of enthusiasm of passers-by for the product was inversely proportional to their distance from Uptown. The Iron Range gals thought it was the bee's knees!

The Go Girls have been at just about every outdoor festival in the Twin Cities for the past year. I first ran into them at the ice racing event in St. Paul last February. The looks on people's faces as they realize what's being sold can be pretty entertaining.
Old 22-09-2009, 01:24   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Most of us, whose personal equipment might be described as “cat-like”, don’t generally swing it.
Whether our personal equipment (cat-like OR rooster-like) is fragile or not; it’s generally impractical to replace it.

That’s a good one Gord.

So those of you who do not think this is a good idea...is it better that the man or woman on the dog watch go below to do their business and disrupt the sleeping crew?

I see it as a courtesy.

I for one would rather pee outside any day!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 16:17   #42

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
I can tell you while I was working I used to spend a lot of time selling agricultural machinery in Africa usually out in the boondocks. I have seen women alongside the roads peeing while standing up! No go girl or other conveniences needed, they would simply hike up their wraps and bend forward and the stream would squirt back several feet on to the ground. So ladies, when offshore and it's legal just back up to the rails and give it a shot!
Oddly enough in some areas in Africa the men squat down to pee then dry themselves with dirt or dust.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 17:59   #43

Hell I just pee my pants when on watch
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 21:12   #44

Speaking of Upholding Civilization…

Quote:
Red Mantis, he say:
The level of enthusiasm of passers-by for the product was inversely proportional to their distance from Uptown.
You just said the city-dwellers liked it, while the town & country folk didn't. But I think you mean the reverse, so something like this contains the correct logic:

The level of enthusiam of passers-by for the product was directly proportional to their distance from Uptown.

That makes the country folks the sanguine set & the urbanites the disdainful group.

FIFY
Old 22-09-2009, 21:45   #45

Boat: Jason 35
To Starbuck -
Very good. Had a problem with that myself. I love logic. Got a class on it starting tomorrow. There have been some here that pay no respect to it.

www.joekeck.com
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended cruising