Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2010, 10:08   #31

Boat: a sailing boat
Pets on boats are always a pain your neighbours' lower backs. Even when they are educated enough (the neighbours,-) not to let you know explicit.

This goes mostly for cats (pissing everywhere) but dogs are not saints either (noise, but not only).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 10:30   #32

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
Old 16-06-2010, 11:51   #33
Armchair Bucketeer

I posted an Avatar like that - and the Mods told me off
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 12:26   #34

I love dogs...and know their behavior well enough to recognize a friendly play-charge from an aggressive attack. But it is still rude to allow it - especially since most people are more concerned than I am around "friendly" dogs. FTR, I've never been bit, but twice only due to quick reflexes. Both times it was a dog I knew, and it was my fault.
There are certainly places dogs don't belong though, and if you haven't taken the responsibility to properly socialize it, then for you, that would be Everywhere. I hate to think it should become a paperwork issue, but some people make me think you should have to get a license to own a dog - the way they train them, it's bad for everyone, including the dog.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 12:45   #35

Boat: Nordhavn 47
Shouldn't we say the same thing about kids. I hate to have the toddler in the grocery store that pulls stuff out of your cart or the infant that has that "poopie" smell as you pass by. Don't get me started on teenagers in the mall or the loud car radios at the stoplights.

The reality is that each of us have things that bother us about life. It really can't be other peoples responsibility to make sure we are not bothered by any of them. It has to be our own deal. I can't ask you not to have your kids or grandkids on the boat because they occasionally scream and interrupt my quiet time. I can let you know they are bothering me when they are so that you will know and can make an effort to control them if you choose to. Dog owners probably deserve the same courtesy.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 12:48   #36

Boat: CT54
Dogs should be on leashes at marinas unless you are 110% sure your dog will not run up to another person or another dog. Anytime a dog runs up to a person or another dog when off leash (even wagging its tail) it is considered bad manners in the doggie world. That is why my dog is ALWAYS on a leash when walking around a marina. I have owned dogs that would never run up to another dog or person (I consider this a well mannered dog that can be left off leash) but unfortunately my dog now loves people and other dogs and will try to great them in a friendly manner and this is unacceptable so he is leashed.
My dog also is not allowed to jump off the boat or bark at people walking by but he will bark if someone knocks on my boat but he is expected to stop barking as soon as I greet that person.
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 13:04   #37
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
just wondering, but how did you explain all this to the dog?
sailorboy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 13:25   #38

Boat: 1970 Albin Vega 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepitts View Post
Dogs should be on leashes at marinas unless you are 110% sure your dog will not run up to another person or another dog. Anytime a dog runs up to a person or another dog when off leash (even wagging its tail) it is considered bad manners in the doggie world. That is why my dog is ALWAYS on a leash when walking around a marina.
The law everywhere I've been across this great and oily nation is that you must be 100% in control of your dog 100% of the time. If the dog is not on a leash, you are in violation of that law.

On the other hand I love dogs and own two bigguns so I'm occasionally guilty.
RedBellies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 16:38   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
Shouldn't we say the same thing about kids. I hate to have the toddler in the grocery store that pulls stuff out of your cart or the infant that has that "poopie" smell as you pass by. Don't get me started on teenagers in the mall or the loud car radios at the stoplights.

The reality is that each of us have things that bother us about life. It really can't be other peoples responsibility to make sure we are not bothered by any of them. It has to be our own deal. I can't ask you not to have your kids or grandkids on the boat because they occasionally scream and interrupt my quiet time. I can let you know they are bothering me when they are so that you will know and can make an effort to control them if you choose to. Dog owners probably deserve the same courtesy.

Jim
I agree, different things bother different people. Though, if I were a live-aboard and some guy let his dog pee where the smell wafted into my cabin for hours on a hot day....I'd make an argument for him being an irresponsible dog owner.

For me, the difference lies in the frequency and duration. There is no like you can draw to say "this is tolerable, this is not" but, I'd say several times a day every day inconveniencing someone else is probably too much.
Event_Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 19:17   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Event_Horizon View Post
I agree, different things bother different people. Though, if I were a live-aboard and some guy let his dog pee where the smell wafted into my cabin for hours on a hot day....I'd make an argument for him being an irresponsible dog owner.

For me, the difference lies in the frequency and duration. There is no like you can draw to say "this is tolerable, this is not" but, I'd say several times a day every day inconveniencing someone else is probably too much.
And that is where a simple conversation with the dog owner would probably do the trick. I can honestly say that in over 45 years of dog owning I have never smelled dog pee except when house training a puppy so if you are smelling anything my dog would do you would have to tell me as it would not even cross my radar that anyone would ever smell pee from a dog that went in the flower bed, etc.
I am sure the mothers that stand next to me with "poopie" diapered kids don't know it either.

Jim
Old 16-06-2010, 22:00   #41

Quote:
I am sure the mothers that stand next to me with "poopie" diapered kids don't know it either.

Jim
Ummm...We Know. We can also tell by smell if they are just wet. Sometimes it is simply not possible to change it in the next 2 seconds, and we have realized that the baby will survive until we get back to the car, instead of leaving our shopping cart mid-transaction, going to the nasty changing tray in the restroom, and then starting the check-out all over again later -- this tends to result in a screaming baby rather than a dirty one. (Of course, I am assuming here that we are heading for the car PROMPTLY, not sightseeing for an hour.)
We also know when our babies are crying. We don't need people to tell us, in either situation.
If it's a next-boat-over, constantly bothering you, though, whether it's a dog or a child, it is good to tell us politely, before you get so frustrated that you CAN'T be polite.
Mariness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 01:55   #42

Quote:
Shouldn't we say the same thing about kids.
I agree. There's nothing worse than having kids pooping up against the lamppost. As for sniffing each other's ..........
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2010, 06:12   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
I agree. There's nothing worse than having kids pooping up against the lamppost. As for sniffing each other's ..........
Actually I have seen more kids urinating on the dock in my life then I have dogs so I guess everyone has their own perspective. Although I have to agree I haven't seen the sniffing the genitals thing really take off among the human population.

Jim
Old 17-06-2010, 06:14   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariness View Post
Ummm...We Know.
I stand corrected. Sorry

Jim
Old 17-06-2010, 15:46   #45

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Woof. Woof woof woof. Gruff! Gruff woof woof.
Woof.

Connor The Wonder Dawg

(For those of you who don't speak canine, Connor said that he could make quite a few unfavorable comments about the behavior of humans, but he is too dignified to do so.)