Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-06-2010, 16:18   #16

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
I would love to have a Lab or a Golden.

But I am sick and tired of dogs in marinas.

It is summertime now......it's hot......you may pick up the poo but the stench of urine is getting old.......

The marina I am at has a weedbarrier under the mulch around the bushes.... whed Fido pees there it doesnt go into the soil....it stays in the mulch and plastic till it cooks off.

I am not even going to start with the dogs that "mark" the piers and common areas.

Sounds like a pet peeve to me.

I actually feel like my life would be less fulfilling without my dog. He gets my newspaper every morning. Thereby sparing the neighbors the horror of seeing me in my tidy whities.
He barks at every single power boat that cruises by the shop. I think that he picked that up from all the yelling that we did at the ones who don't know what a no wake zone is.
He is always on duty and provides me with a sense of security when I'm sleeping or when I'm not at home. Heck, I've even quit carrying my gun these days.
He brings me cold beer when I'm in the pool and don't want to get out.
The list goes on and on.

These kind of discussions remind me of how a lot of people talk about sailing and baseball. They don't see the sense or the attraction of something they don't understand.

I agree however that a undisciplined dog is almost as bad as a undisciplined child. Just glad that there aren't nearly as many of them.

Old 15-06-2010, 17:18   #17
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post

These kind of discussions remind me of how a lot of people talk about...............baseball. They don't see the sense or the attraction of something they don't understand.
Over here it's very popular as well, albeit it's called Rounders. and played by school girls

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2010, 17:49   #18
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Always wanted a dog… Never had a dog… and it was my older brother’s fault!

While in our teens…. our family was walking by a dog that was cleaning himself and licking his balls.

My brother joked out loud…. “Wish I could do that!”

and I innocently quipped…. Well maybe if you ask nicely he will let you.

Mother absolutely forbade any dogs in our family after that.... was not fair....
Old 15-06-2010, 18:38   #19

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Over here it's very popular as well, albeit it's called Rounders. and played by school girls
Clew told me to tell you to Bite Me!
GO RAYS!!
Old 15-06-2010, 21:08   #20

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I'm an animal lover and I don't quite get dogs on boats. Well, maybe a lap dog, but anything bigger is just cruel IMO. And I just hate people who don't pick up after their dogs.
We don't have our big boat yet, but I can't get our ski boat out of the garage without both dogs going nuts! They are lab mixes around 100 lbs a piece. and LOVE the boat. We are very careful that they don't bother other people ( this includes where they do their business).They know that they are not allowed on anyone elses boat when we are all tied up and seem very happy to stay in their own boat..Sounds like the OP has a problem with people, not dogs.After all, it's the owners responsibility to keep their pet from bothering other people. Just wish all parents would pay as close attention to who their children are bothering as I do my dogs.
Old 15-06-2010, 22:11   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel
I do love dogs BUT...

Most dog owners think their perfect dog-child is better than all the other dogs and does not need to be as closely watched as the other ill-mannered imperfect dogs. Dogs on the other hand know when they can get away with sheet....and they doo.

Also most cities, which include the marinas within those cities, have leash laws. I like dogs but not when they are off the leash causing problems.

Don't ya just love it when a dog is running at you and the owner says "Oh, he's friendly" ..and the dog is not showing any indication of friendliness? Am I supposed to let him chomp into my leg first or defend myself with whatever I am holding first?

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 03:26   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Event_Horizon View Post
Dogs can be highly inconsiderate and their owners often have nearly zero accountability.
You're confusing dogs with cats. In (UK) law, a dog is a licenced animal and has an owner who is responsible for it and its actions, however a cat is deemed to be an "independent agent" with no owner.

If you think that dog p*** smells, try what a tomcat leaves behind to mark his spot.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 03:45   #23

Boat: CT54
Quote:
Don't ya just love it when a dog is running at you and the owner says "Oh, he's friendly"
This is a pet peeve of mine too....
If a dog runs up to me or my dog even if he is acting in a friendly manner it is considered bad manners. Why dog owners don't see this is beyond me.
Old 16-06-2010, 03:48   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
You're confusing dogs with cats. In (UK) law, a dog is a licenced animal and has an owner who is responsible for it and its actions, however a cat is deemed to be an "independent agent" with no owner.

If you think that dog p*** smells, try what a tomcat leaves behind to mark his spot.
Lucky, here in the states we have less rules to protect us from the nonviolent trespasses of canines. And the ones we do have are (in general) poorly enforced.

Ironically, we care very much for canine rights. Dogs are one of the few species that when exploited or murdered by the wealthy/powerful/famous can gain satisfaction and justice through legal means. Not even humans can do that. Their victories are made even more shocking because VERY few dogs can afford legal fees!
Old 16-06-2010, 04:53   #25
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post

Don't ya just love it when a dog is running at you and the owner says "Oh, he's friendly"

Yeah. Well I have never liked dogs since I was bailed up by one bigger than me when I was about 3. Then I delivered newspapers (I was 4, my parents hated me). Then when I was 6 they moved city (it took me 6 months but I found them) and there were dogs up and down the street and they knew I was terrified.... Dogs know when you are terrified... they go for the jugular...

And for the next 44 years all I have heard "Oh, he's friendly".... but now, since I was released from jail for multiple murders of dog owners by shotgun, they finally realize thats a fool statement and their puppie has mere seconds to live............

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2010, 05:15   #26

Boat: 1970 Albin Vega 27
I don't believe you've ever delivered newspapers...

We had this same discussion on the hiking forum some years ago. After much debate we came to the conclusion that that there are dog people, non-dog people, and there are some places dogs don't belong.

As you can see, we solved everything.
Old 16-06-2010, 07:15   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBellies View Post
I don't believe you've ever delivered newspapers...

We had this same discussion on the hiking forum some years ago. After much debate we came to the conclusion that that there are dog people, non-dog people, and there are some places dogs don't belong.

As you can see, we solved everything.
OK, since the hikers solved the dog issue how about working on the oil spill in the Gulf and world peace.
Old 16-06-2010, 08:43   #28

Boat: 1970 Albin Vega 27
I was thinking that you lot should take that one since we solved the dog thing...
Old 16-06-2010, 09:45   #29

Send a message via Skype™ to DannySt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
I would love to have a Lab or a Golden.

But I am sick and tired of dogs in marinas.

It is summertime now......it's hot......you may pick up the poo but the stench of urine is getting old.......

The marina I am at has a weedbarrier under the mulch around the bushes.... whed Fido pees there it doesnt go into the soil....it stays in the mulch and plastic till it cooks off.

I am not even going to start with the dogs that "mark" the piers and common areas.
The phenomenon has a name... let me see if I can remember...

Ah yes,

Grumpy old man
Old 16-06-2010, 10:35   #30

Boat: O'Day 37 "Epiphany", Hull No. 3
I always pick up after my dogs. But hose off the dock after they pee? Gimme a break. That's why God made rainfall. Why don't we ban drunks, Republicans, country music lovers, and boats with motors of over 50 hp from marinas? If you're entitled to have your predilections catered to, so am I.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: