Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-08-2009, 19:13   #16

Boat: J-36, Beneteau 50
Send a message via Yahoo to procrew4u
tie the bitter end of a long 3/4 inch line to the aft pulpit and Flemish it as if it was a spiral rug, when the dog relieves itself on it, reward the pup with a treat and nice praise, at this point you can kick the coil of line overboard for easy cleaning in the sea. As for up and down the companionway I would suggest two pintals and gudgeons attached to a folding board that is hinged in the middle, make sure it is at a comfortable angle for the pup and not to wide for you to use the steps yourself, hope this helps.

procrew4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 04:26   #17

Boat: Bristol 38.8
I'm astounded at how many folks sail with dogs. Where do these dogs pee and poop?

Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 04:59   #18

Boat: Island Packet 35
Originally Posted by Jetexas View Post
Does Roxy jump through the railing around the edges when she gets on the boat or do you have a way to open yours for her?
Sorry I didn't see this post until just now. Roxy doesn't like to jump through the lifelines but we have gates on either side that she will go through. We make her wait until we tell her OKAY to disembark or to embark. Most of the time she is good about it but sometimes she gets in a hurry.
Alibi35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 12:25   #19

Boat: 43 Fountain Pajot Belize
We have a 14 yr. old dog who bites if we try to pick him up as well, so in and out of the dinghy or to the dock if we cannot use the passerelle we put his life jacket on. This doesn't seem to bother him, much. We take it off once on shore so as not to over heat him.

He had a problem with the stairs at first. I took some spongy cabinet lining "paper" you buy at the grocery and used sticky tack (found at hobby lobby) to secure it to the steps. Now he has no problem up or down. The sticky tack is re-useable and does not leave a stain. I also discovered that there is a lot less dirt in our hulls because of this.

We just bought a Pet Potty, basicallly a piece of astro-turf. I tried everything, putting some of his "business" on it, using commands, treats, a dog trainer even to me to pee on it. That didn't work so well. Finally after being unable to go ashore for 2 days he broke down and peed on it. 2 days later when we returned to shore he still had not pooped. He doesn't like to use it because we've taught him not to go in the house. I put it on the starboard aft deck because it's easy to clean up from that location and that is also where we exit the boat.

We're buying a puppy in hopes that the old dog will go where the new dog goes.

By the way, we put netting on our life lines to make sure the dog stays on the boat when we need him to.

Good Luck
MeckDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2009, 13:58   #20

Boat: Irwin Citation 34'
A friend had good luck with "Pup Grass". Not cheap, but may save $ on antibiotics to treat infections from "holding it".

I just put 3M "Safety Walk" on my companionway steps. I must admit, I only did it once I started slipping on them.

Seems some way to extend the steps so they aren't so steep is a great idea. But also wait, they have a way of figuring it out given some time.

S/V Janis II is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: