Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2017, 05:04   #1
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Dogs

I understand people LOVE their dogs. But having one on the boat that likes to bark at all the boats, and there are boats all around when you live on a boat, just becomes like nails a chalkboard to all the rest of us!
Old 20-01-2017, 05:56   #2

Re: Dogs

I have to agree. We are dog people. About tens years ago we were simultaneously discussing getting a big (big to us) boat, and getting a dog (our last dog had passed away). We soon decided it would need to a dog OR a boat.

[enter the haters and trolls]

Now, I'll prefice by saying...."It's your dog, you can pet it any way you want".

I see many folks with dogs on boats. Some are larger dog breeds (Labs, Labradoodles, etc). The admiral and I are of the thinking that this is not fair to anyone (the dog, the owner, or neighbors).

Walk down the dock and have an overprotective dog barking at you as you pass by. Hopefully you're not sharing the finger pier with them, which RALLY gets annoying. Anchored next to them where the dog is left alone, bored and barks our of frustration or at every single dinghy that passes by (i'm just trying to read my book or take nap here WTF??).

The thing that concerns us most is that there is simply no room on a boat for a dog. Sit on a boat that has a dog and you;ll quickly realize the dog is in the way ALL THE TIME.

Finally, there are shore trips. The boat/dog owner is constantly having to make trips ashore. Their entire day is scheduled around bring the dog to shore. We have friends that are hard to make plans with because of the dogs schedule. This isn't fair to the dog, or the owners.

Just my .02.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 06:23   #3

Boat: Camano Troll

Do you have a dog with that problem or are you complaining on the board about someone else's dog?

My wife decided that she had to have another dog (a Yorkie). We have a boat, of course. We don't live on it but we cruise on it and we'll often spend weekends on it at the marina.

Our dog is fine until jet skis pass us. She barks at them. That's fine, I would too if I knew how to bark.

To the OP; If you're at a marina and someone's dog is annoying you, either talk to them or talk to the marina management. It doesn't do any good to complain on a web forum. The dogs owner is probably not reading this and even if he/she is, they don't know you're talking about them.
Old 20-01-2017, 06:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post

The thing that concerns us most is that there is simply no room on a boat for a dog. Sit on a boat that has a dog and you;ll quickly realize the dog is in the way ALL THE TIME.

Finally, there are shore trips. The boat/dog owner is constantly having to make trips ashore. Their entire day is scheduled around bring the dog to shore. We have friends that are hard to make plans with because of the dogs schedule. This isn't fair to the dog, or the owners. .
The same can be said of children.

We have a small dog. She is not in the way all the time. She is trained to do her "business" on disposable puppy pads.
Old 20-01-2017, 07:30   #5

I can recall our 110lb. labrador barking three times in nearly fifteen years. I doubt if you were nearby.
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 07:37   #6

If this is a thread to complain about other boaters, let me post my number one gripe:

People who play their "music" as loud as possible and especially late at night. Or even just loud talking late at night. Sound carries on the water, even in a marina. People are trying to sleep. It's rude.
Old 20-01-2017, 07:38   #7
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Don't get me wrong here, I understand that dogs bark. That is their real purpose, to let the people know there is something around. But dam it they should get to the point that it understands that boat going by in the channel 100 yards away isn't attcking its' home
Old 20-01-2017, 07:51   #8

Boat: Custom 55

I understand what you're saying. It's really rude of dog owners to let their pets bark incessantly in the close quarters of a marina. We live on board with our mutt, and we don't let him get away with it. We can't help a couple barks here and there (he's a Beagle/Jack Russel mix, what are you going to do?), but it's just common courtesy to keep it to a minimum.

By the way, our little dog has been all over the place with us (something like 14 countries) over the last 9 years that he's lived on board, even on week+ passages, and I can say unequivocally that he's perfectly content to live on board with his people. He's not in the way, and the attention that he needs is FAR outweighed by the excellent company he offers. So what if we have to take him to shore? It gets us out walking around too.

He gets restless after a couple of days out, but some good petting and tug of war in the cockpit takes care of it, mostly.

To each their own, but sailing with a dog is just fine for all involved if the dog doesn't mind.

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 08:23   #9

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

I have a 9 year old Cairn Terrier. She doesn't bark. She was never trained to bark. None of my previous dogs have ever barked. The reason dogs bark is because someone encouraged it when they were young. Because I am capable of owning dogs who do not bark, it really infuriates me to have to hear one.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 09:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
............The reason dogs bark is because someone encouraged it when they were young. .........
Nope, it's the other way around. Dogs naturally bark, some breeds more than others. Unless you resort to a shock collar, it's nearly impossible to train them not to bark.

Smack your dog when it barks, it only learns not to bark when you're around to smack it. It will still bark when you're gone.
Old 20-01-2017, 09:45   #11

Boat: Boatless

One thing you learn early in the Bahamas and Caribbean is that you must be alert to the thieves who steal dinghies and invade boats.

We would view having a barking dog on the boat next to us as a plus and my wife would take doggy treats when she went over to introduce herself to our neighbors. We have made many friends this way...people and dogs but mostly dogs!

When we were in Cartagena, where there are lots of dinghy theft, a cruiser complained, on the morning net, that someone had stolen his pit bull guard dog!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 09:54   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Nope, it's the other way around. Dogs naturally bark, some breeds more than others. Unless you resort to a shock collar, it's nearly impossible to train them not to bark.

Smack your dog when it barks, it only learns not to bark when you're around to smack it. It will still bark when you're gone.
If they barked naturally, I wouldn't have never had a dog that barked. I have never done any anti-barking training, I just refuse to let them learn to bark.
Old 20-01-2017, 10:06   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

some dogs donot bark until taught--siberian huskies, for a really good example--until my brat sister taught the lead dog to bark, they only sang. sibies singing is a pretty noise, whereas barking is annoying, especially if it is useless random barking or barking at airplanes.
chow is another --they bark only when necessary. and i have never heard an akita bark.
i have watched as friends taught their exuberant doggies to not bark-- go figger--that works--and to bark selectively at specific occurrences and things.
hell if one doesnt wanna do this themselves, others will do it for em. is why these individuals are labelled dog trainers.
after her last siberian died( a sweet champion tracker), momma became a dog trainer for a while. she was good at it, and didnt even charge folks.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2017, 10:10   #14

Of course there are some ignorant breeds that'll just bark no matter what. I avoid those.
Old 20-01-2017, 10:42   #15

Boat: Bristol 27

If it's not a dog barking, it will be something else whenever boaters get close together and especially at a marina or favorite anchorage.

Some folks believe its party time whenever they are at the boat.

It's like others have said, staying or living at a marina is similar to living in a trailer park except you are actually closer together at a marina.

As far as the dogs, most dogs will bark if you enter what they believe it their territory. It seems the larger dogs calm down though much quicker than the smaller ones.

Labs though would rather just be retrieving than barking at strangers ............
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitch in Little Creek.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	139887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitchell near the CBBT.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	139888  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags