Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2017, 04:16   #31

Re: Dogs

Having noise come from your boat that is loud enough to be heard... and disturb others is simply inconsiderate. It's an invasion of the rights of others to enjoy quiet and peace.

Our two Westies have now passed. But they did bark at times and my wife was really disturbed by this and the moment they would bark she would put the dog below. She's very respectful of others... Something sorely lacking in most people I am sorry to say... You see it in how they drive... how they discard things into the environment... how they play their music in public. Thankfully the era of the boom boxes has given way to the ear buds... so people can destroy only their own hearing as a result of the obsession with "music". Mind you, I like everyone else loves music. I don't need it constantly... don't want it constantly and would never impose my music on others without their consent of course.

And so it is with barky dogs... If they are watch dogs who can identify real threats... fine. Jet skiis are noisy and creepy and could be a threat by usually are not. Barking at them does nothing but make things worse.

As our Westies got older... the barking ended. Maybe they were deaf or something... but they stopped barking at the most things experienced as "hostile" and barked when they were happy such as seeing one of their friends.

I think the music, motor ... "noise" problem is far worse than dogs... But NOISE is annoying... by definition.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 05:10   #32
CLOD

Boat: none

7:40am they let that dog out again, it proceeded to bark at all the boats in the mooring field for the next 15 minutes until the owners decided that the rest of us were now aware there were boats here
Old 21-01-2017, 05:18   #33

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
7:40am they let that dog out again, it proceeded to bark at all the boats in the mooring field for the next 15 minutes until the owners decided that the rest of us were now aware there were boats here
He probably thinks if you don't like it, you're free to move.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 06:07   #34

Boat: Custom 55

And if that's the way the neighbor with the dog truly thinks, he's an ass. There's no need to let your pet be that obnoxious.
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 06:29   #35

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madwand View Post
......... I have never done any anti-barking training, I just refuse to let them learn to bark.
You should write a book on how you do that. It would be a best seller.
Old 21-01-2017, 06:33   #36

Boat: 1962 Sunfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
You should write a book on how you do that. It would be a best seller.
The part you didn't quote was how you do it.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 06:36   #37

People and their dogs are closely related, the Barkers that take away from the peace and tranquility of a beautiful anchrage are usually owned and mastered by dick heads.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 06:46   #38

Boat: Bristol 27

People probably shouldn't take their dogs on their boats but calling them names isn't going to fix the problem.

Most dogs bark in a new environment or when an unidentified living thing enters their area

For folks on boats in marinas and at crowded anchorages, the tranquility can be interrupted by a barking dog, folks partying, powerboats, loud music, wakes, weather, loud NPR, restaurant PA,(Jones party of 5 at 11pm), a band on the boardwalk, and so on ..........the list is endless

It's best to find a nice isolated spot if possible unless you are in the mood for noise.

In Spring up here, the marinas are really busy. I don't see how the liveaboards deal with all the activity unless they just enjoy being a part of it
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 06:47   #39
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

There are no perfect dogs as there are no perfect humans. I don't think I've ever come across a dog that didn't bark. Barking for a dog is like talking is for a human, a way to express themselves. As I said earlier, we try to keep our dogs barking to a minimum as we try to respect our neighbors. Sometimes a group of people getting together for a sunset drink make more noise than a pack of hyenas, yet that seems to be socially acceptable.[emoji16]
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 06:57   #40
CLOD

"Funny" how some people say that if I don't like hearing the dog bark I'm the one who should move. Bet those the same people who like banging halyards. Btw I was here before the boat with barking dog!
Old 21-01-2017, 07:05   #41

Our imperfect dog. He's a rescue mutt, and who the hell would breed a Beagle and a Jack Russel anyway??

He has his share of odd hysterics and freakouts (not related to sailing, usually when he sees other dogs), but he's been awesome to have with us.

I do remember a funny ode to a mutt in the back of 'Outside' magazine. It concluded: 'You know, I'd take a bullet for this dog. And someday I probably will.'

My sentiments exactly.

Now for Baxter's 15 seconds of fame...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Baxter San Blas.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	139907   Click image for larger version

Name:	Baxter somewhere.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	139908  

Old 21-01-2017, 07:43   #42
smj

Quote:
"Funny" how some people say that if I don't like hearing the dog bark I'm the one who should move. Bet those the same people who like banging halyards. Btw I was here before the boat with barking dog!

By all means discuss your objections with the owners of the dog, if they are reasonable maybe they will move or try to correct the problem. Just remember, sometimes the owners bite is worse than the dogs bark! A little humor there😬

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-01-2017, 07:54   #43

Just make sure he doesn't look like the kind of guy who'll punch you in the nose before proceeding.... Not that you can ever really tell. Good luck!
Old 21-01-2017, 07:56   #44
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
By all means discuss your objections with the owners of the dog, if they are reasonable maybe they will move or try to correct the problem. Just remember, sometimes the owners bite is worse than the dogs bark! A little humor there😬

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Are you suggesting that maybe they don't know that the barking dog brothers others

It's kind of crowed here due to weather windows and the barking dog boat has a boat ratted to them. But hat boat has a dog also, but it only did barking thing the first day.
Old 21-01-2017, 08:03   #45
smj

Quote:
Are you suggesting that maybe they don't know that the barking dog brothers others

It's kind of crowed here due to weather windows and the barking dog boat has a boat ratted to them. But hat boat has a dog also, but it only did barking thing the first day.

Some people don't realize. A dog that occasionally barks doesn't bother me, but one that constantly barks does. Everyone is different.

Tags
dogs