Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2014, 17:49   #1

Dog Potty Breaks During Extended Cruising

I just returned from my first ocean crossing on someone else's boat. I have two dogs who are my babies, and where I go they go. Surely going to do some cruising on my own boat someday.

I wasn't quite sure how the dogs could easily go potty up at the bow with the heeling over and motion of the swells. Although we were heading upwind, and most cruising is downwind, but I am still curious to see if anyone adjusts the sails to even the boat out for potty breaks? And does the netting get super gross from #1 and #2 getting all over it? I don't see how you'd be able to keep it off with the movement of the boat.

Thanks!
SassySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 04:29   #2

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'
Re: Dog Potty Breaks During Extended Cruising

I too have a problem envisioning a dog pooping on the bow of a heeling sailboat, but my concern is more about the dog than the aftermath. Dogs loose 99% of their stability when squatting, and I'd hate to see them slide overboard in that position. I'd much rather see them squat in the cockpit. Why not try to train them to use a small swatch of AstroTurf set in a plastic storage bin lid that you can toss overboard once the deed is done?

This said, I also have a problem envisioning a dog sitting quietly on board for weeks on end with no possibility of going ashore during a crossing. When I was a kid, my dad would take me to France every couple of years on a small ocean liner called the Flandres. They decided that the best way to keep me out of the engine room (and out of trouble in general) was to keep me busy taking care of the dog kennels, which I took great pride in doing. That's when I learned that dogs can get seasick with the best of us, and that an hour a day in a 100' x 20' run didn't keep some of them from going stir crazy to boot.

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 04:40   #3
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Well the obvious answer is a catamaran...
Balrog uses the net, then he bounces on it like a trampoline till it falls through to the water below.
Often he is on board for a week at a time while we make passages and anchor. His exercise is swimming off the back of the boat.
Usually if we take him to the beach for a run all he wants to do is swim there anyway so he obviously doesn't miss the land. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1409225995.814702.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	316.6 KB
ID:	87231
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2014, 06:32   #4

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
I too have a problem envisioning a dog pooping on the bow of a heeling sailboat, but my concern is more about the dog than the aftermath. Dogs loose 99% of their stability when squatting, and I'd hate to see them slide overboard in that position. I'd much rather see them squat in the cockpit. Why not try to train them to use a small swatch of AstroTurf set in a plastic storage bin lid that you can toss overboard once the deed is done?..........
We trained ours on puppy pads.

I would be concerned about the dogs being unrestrained on the deck as well. It's not a safe situation.
Old 28-08-2014, 06:53   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We never used any netting on the perimeter of our boat for ourselves, our children or our dog. Everyone wears a harness when they are out on the deck offshore. Our schipperkye, Zorro, was trained eary to head for the aft deck of our center cockpit to leave all is deposits and his harness was set up so that he could not extend his passage over the transom.

A dog harness, rather than a collar, is far safer for support and retrieval of a dog!
Old 28-08-2014, 07:02   #6
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i don't see how the deck could not get gross if dogs were using it for their waste. but i guess many things can be tolerated by pet owners including poop and urine clean up duty
Old 28-08-2014, 07:34   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
i don't see how the deck could not get gross if dogs were using it for their waste. ......................
'easy aswer! A bucket of sea water tossed at the area in the overboard direction while the deposit is fresh solves this. As for the chore, I can't speak for others, but while I'm distance cruising I have huge amounts of time and often to much just sitting. Tossing a bucket of water is not much to ask. My hard work usually comes when I'm in port!
Old 28-08-2014, 07:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
We never used any netting on the perimeter of our boat for ourselves, our children or our dog. Everyone wears a harness when they are out on the deck offshore. Our schipperkye, Zorro, was trained eary to head for the aft deck of our center cockpit to leave all is deposits and his harness was set up so that he could not extend his passage over the transom.

A dog harness, rather than a collar, is far safer for support and retrieval of a dog!
You bring up a good point there, I too have a center cockpit. I never thought of using the aft portion of the boat but I would be more comfortable with that.

I've seen that photo before with the schipperke, perhaps you have a website that I've read? How does Zorro do when the boat is heeling over? Is he still able to go?

I have two dogs that have a lot of energy even though they're 8. I have a feeling harnesses and tethers, although I'd use them, would get tangled really easily. Great ideas though, I'll have to test it out and see how it goes!
Old 28-08-2014, 12:09   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassySailor View Post
I've seen that photo before with the schipperke, perhaps you have a website that I've read? How does Zorro do when the boat is heeling over? Is he still able to go?

I have two dogs that have a lot of energy even though they're 8. I have a feeling harnesses and tethers, although I'd use them, would get tangled really easily. Great ideas though, I'll have to test it out and see how it goes!
No website of my own, but I've been active at several locations and my dog, Zorro, always had more friends than I. Unfortunately, after 12 years as a cruising partner, Zorro is no longer alive. He would still go aft during a steady heel, but not with a lot of changing motion. Zorro could always communicate his intent for a trip aft and, if your dogs would be able to do this, you could have a designated harness clip just for these trips.

Zorro was a great boat dog!
Old 28-08-2014, 12:24   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I liked the story of Zorro tieing up the tender
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2014, 15:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
No website of my own, but I've been active at several locations and my dog, Zorro, always had more friends than I. Unfortunately, after 12 years as a cruising partner, Zorro is no longer alive. He would still go aft during a steady heel, but not with a lot of changing motion. Zorro could always communicate his intent for a trip aft and, if your dogs would be able to do this, you could have a designated harness clip just for these trips.

Zorro was a great boat dog!
Several of my neighbors have skips, they're actually similar to my dogs but mine are white and a little fluffier and bigger. Great boat dogs! Sorry to hear of his passing.
Old 29-08-2014, 15:25   #12

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

=== Well the obvious answer is a catamaran...===

Ruh Roh, monty. Now you've gone and done it.
Old 08-09-2014, 14:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Well the obvious answer is a catamaran...
Balrog uses the net, then he bounces on it like a trampoline till it falls through to the water below.
Often he is on board for a week at a time while we make passages and anchor. His exercise is swimming off the back of the boat.
Usually if we take him to the beach for a run all he wants to do is swim there anyway so he obviously doesn't miss the land. Attachment 87231
Oh... My wife has been pushing for a cat for our retirement home. I was trying to steer her toward a mono but I might end up yielding if she sees this. Our golden retriever goes everywhere we do.

We still have 2-1/2 years to decide. Until then we're happy with short hops on our 26 foot trailerable.

Do you have much trouble finding guest slips for a catamaran? Do you end up paying more when you do?
BudGates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 07:31   #14

We took two dogs with us when we circumnavigated. I made a box 3'x3' and put astro turf on it and placed it on the stern. We used an harness with enough line to allow them to reach the turf. Cleaned up with sea water. No problem. Well no problem until we reached NZ and Aus. They didn't like much of anything we did for our dogs.
The only real problem was in heavy weather. We had another smaller piece of turf that was placed in the cockpit. Clean up wasn't too bad but dogs were safe and happy.
kingwoodie
s/v The Lady Margaret Ann
kingwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2014, 05:47   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwoodie View Post
We took two dogs with us when we circumnavigated. I made a box 3'x3' and put astro turf on it and placed it on the stern. We used an harness with enough line to allow them to reach the turf. Cleaned up with sea water. No problem. Well no problem until we reached NZ and Aus. They didn't like much of anything we did for our dogs.
The only real problem was in heavy weather. We had another smaller piece of turf that was placed in the cockpit. Clean up wasn't too bad but dogs were safe and happy.
kingwoodie
s/v The Lady Margaret Ann

Okay, I'm curious. What happened in Australia and New Zealand?
BudGates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, extended cruising