Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2016, 10:35   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Dog in the yard...hoisting the pup

Our boat will be out of the water for a few more weeks until we finish some work. We are hoping to stay aboard to save money. However, we will have our dog with us.
Anyone have ideas about how to lift 60lbs of happy fur 12 feet up? We were thinking of a basket and pulley but how do we keep him in the basket?
It could be a nutty idea and we might have to find a short term rental. But if we can figure it out the boat woukd be best.
Old 28-10-2016, 10:40   #2

Re: Dog in the yard...hoisting the pup

That's a tough one. Not sure where you are , but weekly cheap motel rentals are a solution I used in FLorida. It was just plain easier than living in the yard anyway.
A dog's broken leg is gonna cost you more than a cheap motel... :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 10:52   #3

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 48

Use boom as a crane and this:-

https://www.travellingwithpets.co.uk...stBxoCzz_w_wcB
paulajayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 11:07   #4

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Dogs have a tendency to want to leap out of a basket, make sure it closes.
As they jump, the basket flips away, and they usually land on their chin.
We used to carry Jack up in our forearms when he got older, but until then he used to climb up himself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	he.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	134200   Click image for larger version

Name:	h208.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	134201  

Click image for larger version

Name:	h246.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	134202  
Old 28-10-2016, 11:07   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

The basket idea may work, though getting him used to it would need to be done in stages. And if it freaks him out, then it's time to find a flat for everyone for the duration. Some of whether or not he'll take to it depends on his personality, along with your being super calm & reasurring during everything. As if he picks up that you're nervous, then the odds are high that he'll get wound up too.

To keep him in a (structural lifting) basket you can use netting made from 1" wide nylon webbing. Obviously make sure that it's so solidly attached to the basket that he can't fall out even were you to invert the basket & shake it violently.

Also ensure that there's a custom fitted hole in it for his head, so that he can see out of it, but still be securely in place. And you may need to work up slowly to getting him comfortable in the basket. Doing the acclimatizing to it in stages. Including giving him a treat each time he completes a task, especially ones where he's "lashed" into the basket, as well as when the basket leaves the ground. Since that's likely to be the scariest for him.

The other thing with the netting is that you'll want to have things rigged so that it can be removed almost instantly, so that if he's freaking out, freeing him is a simple task. Especially so that he doesn't hurt himself straining in trying to exfil the basket. Or do so while he's tied in place.

I'd say try it down low, sans netting first, in order to see if he's okay with it. And then go from there.

Edit:
One other, perhaps better option, is to use some webbing netting, or fabric to create a cradle which wraps around his torso, & locks in place. And then use that to lift him. So that his legs & head are free to move, but that he's safely wrapped in a custom lifting sling. One which is built so that you can again, remove it in seconds, even if he's wriggling around like mad. But that it's impossible for him to fall or get out of.

Also, might lifting him like this, 12' into the air draw you a visit from some local legal arm of SPCA types? You know, where a neighbor calls a local agency, which then yields you an unwelcome visit from the authorities.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 12:53   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sea Dreaming, I had a look Googling around, and understand you're time limited for finding a solution. First, ask your vet. They'd have a way of lifting a 60 lber, and know where to get one that's well designed.

If you have time, you could make one. Use heavy weight nylon corudura, or if you have sunbrella remnants, it's strong enough, and the quick snap-in buckles, and webbing, the 2" size and make a chest strap, too. Design it so his ribcage supports his weight. Sew lifing loops on either side of the opening at his back, for the halyard to go through. Once you've made it. let the dog wear it a bit till he knows it's his.

There are dog life jackets, with a lifting handle on the back. I do not know personally if one is strong enough to hoist the dog when the penalty for it breaking would be broken bones. But possibly the 2 in. nylon webbing could be used for a sling by itself?

I tried googling dog lifting sling and did not find something suitable.

Ann
Old 28-10-2016, 13:10   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sy_gilana View Post
Dogs have a tendency to want to leap out of a basket, make sure it closes.
As they jump, the basket flips away, and they usually land on their chin.
We used to carry Jack up in our forearms when he got older, but until then he used to climb up himself.
Awesome doggy! Ours is slowing down too. I dont think he is for the ladder anymore. But he made his first ever live killl (squirel) the other day,I guess he isnt too.old..

Thank you for the suggestions Uncivilized and Ann. These ideas are similar to idea we have had. Yay! We aren't crazy! Big plus!

I think.I like the sling idea best. The sling can fit around his torso and have body straps sewn on the inside. The outside can just wrap around and be secured through re-enforcements at the top..like a doggy taco.

We can also use the boom off the port stern as the height is lower than where the gate is midships.

Oh, and he like singing. Ill have to sing to him as we lift him in. We will need video of this!

Old 28-10-2016, 13:32   #8

Here is a link to a blog where the owners had the boat on the hard and were still living aboard. They have a couple of dogs so they had to figure out a way to get the dogs on and off the boat.

D & D Nagle aboard MV DavidEllis

There is a nice photo of the dog elevator and here is some info:
Quote:
Since Rusty & Rascal joined the crew, we use a dog crate and blocks (pulleys) to rig an elevator for getting them up and down at pp time. It's a long ways from the ground to the rail of the back deck, maybe 20'. The boat is like an iceberg, quite a bit below the water line, out of sight. Out of water, you realize there's much more to the boat than you pictured in your mind.
If you contact the owners they might provide more information.

Good Luck,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 02:04   #9

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
-----If you have time, you could make one. Use heavy weight nylon corudura, or if you have sunbrella remnants, it's strong enough, and the quick snap-in buckles, and webbing, the 2" size and make a chest strap, too. Design it so his ribcage supports his weight. Sew lifing loops on either side of the opening at his back, for the halyard to go through. Once you've made it. let the dog wear it a bit till he knows it's his.

There are dog life jackets, with a lifting handle on the back. I do not know personally if one is strong enough to hoist the dog -----
You should already have a life jacket with lifting ability so you can get the dog out of the water if he ever goes overboard. There are lots out there, including some custom made varieties.
I would think that would be the simplest solution.
Old 29-10-2016, 08:20   #10

Boat: Pearson 530 53'

We have a 26 lb. Westin who spends several weeks a year in the yard at Virgin Gorda. We put him in a LL Bean canvas bag and hoist him manually. He is perfectly content to sit during this maneuver and now responds to "Bag Dog". 60 lb would be a stretch for my wife and I.

We have a life vest with a handle on back maybe something like that would work.

Good Luck!
cantamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 08:25   #11

We love dog people!! I would try to find a rental shop that you can do a monthly rental of a portable set of steps. Or failing that, think of building a simple scaffolding with steps up from rented materials. this is readily available.
Skye Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 08:35   #12
Marine Service Provider

We made a sling. Canvas and wedding straps.
svJasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 08:47   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
You should already have a life jacket with lifting ability so you can get the dog out of the water if he ever goes overboard. There are lots out there, including some custom made varieties.
I would think that would be the simplest solution.
We do have a life jacket for him. I worry a bit about extra strain on it, and the dog. Although they are met for lifting occasionally, the design of most uses narrow straps that cut across the low pelvis. We all can be lifted that way, but none of us would want to be!

Still thinking on it for sure!
Old 29-10-2016, 09:04   #14

In days of yore horses were hoisted aboard by a canvas sling that went UNDER them, between fore and hind legs. The sling had bolt-ropes all around with earrings and nettles in each corner. The nettles were taken to a spreader bar running fore'n'aft and this was in turn bridled to the hoist. When the strain was taken, the canvas folded UP around the animal's flanks but its legs dangled free.

There is no way an animal can slip out of such a sling, and it seems to me that that is the very best, a tried and true, solution to this problem, because walking the animal over the canvas lying on the ground and then attaching the nettles to the spreader doesn't spook the animal. When (or if) the animal spooks as the canvas closes around it, there is no way for it to get a grip with its feet on the sling and therefore it cannot wiggle out. Spooked or not, the animal is perfectly secure.

Ideal for bigger dogs, I should think. Small ones like cats can go in the kinda carry bag that is a dime a dozen at all pet stores.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 09:14   #15

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
We do have a life jacket for him. I worry a bit about extra strain on it, and the dog. Although they are met for lifting occasionally, the design of most uses narrow straps that cut across the low pelvis. We all can be lifted that way, but none of us would want to be!
-----
Had a dog with age/leg problems once. My ex found a vet out west somewhere who custom designed lifting harnesses, not cheap as I recall. Unfortunately i have no idea how to find them but they're out there.