Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2009, 20:49   #61
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
I got a dog ramp that slides to open up, 72", made from black marine grade polymer. It has 3" sides and outdoor carpet for grip. It's from dogramp.com. Got it used at a swap-meet.

Drilled holes in flat lip that is meant for laying on the edge of a tailgate. Ran rope thru it to make a loop big enough to drop over a mooring cleat on the dock or the side of the boat. On the dock the flat lip sits on the edge of the dock and is held fast by the rope. On the boat the rope is longer and allows the lip of the ramp to brace against the hull. A towel hung over the side to protect your gelcoat might be a good idea. This way Cara gets up the ramp and can hop over into the cockpit.

To float it I scavenged some packing Styrofoam cubes from an electronics store. They are duck taped to the underside of the ramp and can be adjusted up or down for correct flotation.

Does this make sense? I think you could make this pretty easily, sans the sides, and sliding feature, but they don't seem to make a big difference. The carpet glued on the ramp is important for traction. Even the flattened lip at the top is not critical. It serves no function when used on the boat and a straight ramp could be braced against the side of the dock in the same manner.

A fender could be used instead of the Styrofoam and like hello sailor says, a board would work. I like the polymer, light and dries fast.

The ramps made for water use seemed expensive and the modifications the ordinary one needed were easy.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 21:10   #62

Boat: Westerly Cirrus 22' - Rosebud
Thanks for the help. I've looked at paws aboard and the Cabela's offerings and they all seem either too pricey for what you get, or just too bulky to store aboard my little boat.

Securing a fender under the end of the fenderboard is a start. I'll need to secure the boat end low enough and so it won't pop up. I may be able to catch it under the rub rail somehow. This seems promising but pretty unstable for a timid 60 pounder. Just hoping other's experience may shorten my learning curve.
brightnsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 19:36   #63

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
And any listing of equipment for your dog should also include the latest in dog recreation stuff while sailing - SCUBA gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	scubadog.t_250.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	10073  
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 20:14   #64

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Here's the photo I really wanted to find - it is a real life SCUBA dog in action:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scuba-diving-baby-dog.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	10074  
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2009, 21:20   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

rig it so you can hang an anchor from the head of the board and the fenders under the outer end. That should keep it from popping up. Ours is long enough at 72" to not be a problem.

wow.

looking at that pic...

We had a setter who insisted on diving with us, but she stayed on the surface and contented herself with following our air bubbles and tracking us from above. I don't know what I would have done if she had insisted on diving under the water with us...

; - }

Old 24-09-2009, 06:19   #66

Boat: Westerly Cirrus 22' - Rosebud
Hadn't thought of an anchor to hold it down. Thanks. I have a perfect little river anchor that should do the trick.

The ramp is all ready to go. Just have to take my time letting my very timid Pogo get used to the idea.
brightnsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 07:35   #67

Cruisers Forum Supporter

treats? water proof treats? beef jerky maybe? my pooch will do anything for jerky ; -)

Old 24-09-2009, 10:54   #68

Boat: Hunter 430 Legend
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
I got a dog ramp that slides to open up, 72", made from black marine grade polymer. It has 3" sides and outdoor carpet for grip. It's from dogramp.com. Got it used at a swap-meet.

The ramps made for water use seemed expensive and the modifications the ordinary one needed were easy.
This seems much better priced than the plastic yellow one but the website says the sides are made of aluminum. Has your ramp rusted? I was thinking about the plastic one but it has steps, which works well for getting the dog out of the water but not to use as a ramp from the stern to the dock or the side to the dock. A flat surfaced ramp would work better for that.

Our Golden Retriever loves the water but is getting very old and not so good with stairs anymore. So we are looking for modifications to the stairs in the companionway to make it easier for him and for us. Any pictures with modifications to your companionway that you can share will be great.

Name:	Cousteau.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	10112
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 11:29   #69

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It was better priced and since I got it from a swap meet ours was PARTICULARLY good... but even new... The one we have is an older model and has plastic sides the same as the ramp. I wouldn't think aluminum would be a problem, that will oxidize but not rust like iron/steel will. we have aluminum all over our boat ('67) and it's fine after 40 years, if a bit powdery looking.

For the companionway we are lucky. 11 month old Irish setter speeds up and down with out even slowing down. She likes to make her pass thru the hatch, down the ladder and up the length of the boat to the v berth in about 2 strides, where she promptly curls up and chews her bone.

When I have had older dogs and had to deal with the old hip issue I had a sling I put under her waist and used to support/guide her up and down stairs and in and out of the car. You could take a sturdy canvas bag with handles on it and split the side seams so you have a long rectangle of fabric with a handle loop at each end. Slide it under your dog's belly just in front of the hind legs and use the handles to take some of the weight off the joints. Lets you help them control the speed of decent also which was another problem. When her hips got bad she would sort of stagger and then fall down the steps on her own.

I can see how the companionway would be a real problem. maybe this sling would help, or maybe someone else has a slicker idea.

something like this only cheaper ; -)

Old 24-09-2009, 11:38   #70

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightnsunny View Post
The ramp is all ready to go. Just have to take my time letting my very timid Pogo get used to the idea.
This won't be of much help but to have a dog really comfortable with something, you need to expose it to it in a positive manner in about the first five months of puppyhood.

So cats, other dogs, lizards, horses, children (noticed how I put them right after animals , subtle eh?), dingies, strangers, gunshots, stairs of all sorts, the ocean, swimming, etc, etc. This advice came from service dog trainers.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 13:05   #71

Boat: a sailing boat
My neighbour had a barking dog onboard. The spare sinker worked great !

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 14:13   #72
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor
Entlie - thank you, this will be my first trip south with my pup and I was wondering what should be along - although, since she became a stowaway as a mere 8 week old (with help!) in Varadero Cuba last winter, to become a free citizen here in Canada, it isn't her first trip by any means.
I must admit, I admire the skills shown in the photos, and aspire to emulate such Olympian efforts this winter...
canucksailor is offline   Reply With Quote