Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2009, 18:33   #46
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
We have a life vest, a Fido Float, with the mesh on the underside. Its cool and easy on her belly when we are lifting her up out of the water after a swim. We love this one, it's easy to put on and she is comfortable in it. The handles are sturdy.
Fido Float

For water I can't recommend a Water Boy enough. We use one on the boat and one in the car. We just finished an 11 day road trip thru the Pacific Northwest with out a single spill... and we leave the bowl down while we are driving the mountain roads... Recently we brought the new boat thru some big swells and the Water Boy didn't spill a drop. Really, these are amazing.
Water Boy

We have a harness that we use to tether her within the cabin and cockpit. We use a light weight coated wire cable so she can't chew it. These are usually available with big stakes for outdoor tie outs. Needless to say the stake is not used aboard! You can make your own at the hardware store to any length.
Tie Out Cable

She has a bed that fits under the vberth in the little cubby under the fill in board so that she knows her place. We keep a good supply of chewies and toys onboard.

If she is dirty when we get to the boat, because it's muddy or whatever, we put on the vest and dip her feet in the water. I don't mind wet so log as it's clean wet!

She will learn to use a basic rag rug to pee on. I get them at Ikea for $2.50. Very useful item. The astro turf idea is appealing as it would rinse better, but the lack of absorbency would leave the pee running all over the bow I think... I'd rather throw out the rug every few months and get a new one...

And the idea for solid waste in a bag is brilliant. I should have thought of it! Just scoop and then toss once ashore. I am cool with washing the pee overboard, but not the solid waste. I am getting a box of these.
WagBag
Attached Images

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 18:53   #47
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

WagBag: a nice package (no pun) but at $3 each before shippping, a bit pricey. A way cheaper alternative is to buy a $3 roll of 4-5 gallon sized 100 plastic trash bags and a $10 box of premium clotting kitty litter, which will be about 10-14 lbs of it.

Put the bag in any standard commode or bucket or dry toilet, throw a cupful of kitty litter in the bag, and then just tie it up for disposal after it is used. By all means, double-bag them.

I've used this for invalid care (no one likes cleaning out commodes!) and disaster supplies (when the water and power are out, there's no more indoor plumbing or sewage disposal) and can tell you that even the best grade of kitty litter is dirt cheap compared to potty kits. Not to mention--it can be used for all sorts of other purposes.

I suspect that despite what the Wag people say, putting any kind of "sanitary waste" in regular trash is illegal anyplace there are building and sanitary codes.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 19:23   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I like the ideas of the bags and powder being biodegradable, so they won't sit in the land fill forever... just half way to forever...

I don't think disposing of these would be much different from disposing of disposable diapers, or feminine hygiene products (I can't believe I just typed that!!) which is legal.

I expect that it would be possible to make up your own version of a wag bag with ziplocks and some kind of porta potty treatment, but the bags would not be degradable. Maybe double bagging as you suggested with biodegradable poop scoop bags would be a good compromise. The cat litter would be cheap, but I don't think it controls odor very well, a problem on a hot weekend when the bag will be fermenting until you make landfall. Would be a good solution in cooler weather maybe.

Now I just have to figure out how to convince her to go on the rug on the bow...

Old 22-07-2009, 20:35   #49

Boat: Swanson 38" 'SWANSONG 1'
Thank you Sara.
We found easily here in Australia the life vest, quite similar to your FidoFloat.
But the essential part, to lift up our two large dogs on deck without damage to them, is the net.
Will look for FidoFloat and, unavailable here, will easily add something for their underbelly!
As to the WaterBoy, probably there is something similar here.
Thank you again!
Paolo
Paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2009, 21:38   #50
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Biodegradable is a very imprecise term. Some "plastic" bags, made on a corn starch base, are called biodegradable. As is newspaper. But bury either one in a landfill with no oxygen present, and it may take 500 years for them to "degrade". As opposed to under a year bouncing around in a sunny fenced yard.
Old 30-07-2009, 11:45   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

a nice article about canine lifevests.

BoatUS Foundation Findings Report #33: Canine PFD's - How Safe Is That Doggie in The Water? November 2000

Old 30-07-2009, 12:29   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
A fine article my foot!
All political correct propaganda to make our life on board even more difficult!
Down with Canine LifeVests!

Fidelio
4-years old Labrador
Old 30-07-2009, 12:31   #53

Apologies. Couldn't stop Fidelio.
The article is excellent and practical.
Paolo
Old 30-07-2009, 12:37   #54
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You're blessed, indeed, to have such a unique companion, Paolo. Any dog that can read, use a computer and type is a Good, Good Boy! (I'm guessing about the "boy" part - can't see from here.)

TaoJones
Old 30-07-2009, 12:52   #55

Thanks for the link. I can finally get off the dime and find vests for Princess and Piglet now!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 13:00   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

heh.. what can you expect from a LAB? after all...

*snooty Irish sniff*

with finest canine regards,
Carabella
(see sara's profile for my closeup!)

Old 30-07-2009, 13:04   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I have to note here that while I thought it was a good basic article for *why* canine lifevests, I still feel that the mesh bottom vest over all, especially in warm climates, is the optimal choice.

(see my snooty little redhead Irish girl above modeling her latest model.)

We were recently rafting in Montana and she wore a borrowed vest with the straps under the belly and we found it much less stable, especially whilest hoisting her not inconsiderable bulk into the boat after a swim... leggy redhead she may be but at 9 months her weight is getting up there!

Old 30-07-2009, 13:13   #58

Thanks for recommending the book "Doggy On Deck." It seems to be a great reference guide.
Beverly Stayart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 18:47   #59

Boat: Westerly Cirrus 22' - Rosebud
I'd really like to see a photo or diagram of how you use your fenderboard dog retrieval ramp. I'm trying to construct something similar for my 60# dog and keep being frustrated. Thanks!
brightnsunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 20:25   #60
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

brightn-
If you look at web sites like Cabela's Official Website - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear at competitive prices. (hunting & outdoor supply, including waterfowling with dogs) you'll see many options for ramps to get dogs back in boats. Bass Pro probably has them also.

Cabela's -- Paws Aboard Pet Boarding Ladder

A bit pricey but one of many options they offer. If that link doesn't come across correctly...I think "dog ramp" is the search term I used to find it.

A ramp and a fenderboard are both basically just a plank. Lay it sideways from deck into the water, and a dog can walk out. A lot of dog ramps have a float under the end, to support the ramp & the dog as he starts to climb out and puts weight on it. A fenderboard with an attached fender would be quite similar.