Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2013, 12:08   #1

Do Crew Seekers Allow Children?

Hello,
I am new to this forum and very new to the idea of sailing. No experience yet, but my husband and I would like to start somewhere.

So here's a dumb new person question...
We figure that one good way to start learning about the sailing experience is to join a boat who is looking for a crew for a short sail. Do folks with kids ever do this? Is there a typical minimum age for this?

thanks!
athena7878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 12:18   #2

Re: Do Crew Seekers Allow Children?

I don't use volunteer crew often, but I'd want to know the parents really well before I let their kids on my boat. Too much responsibility and potential for liability. Age would depend on the kid.
H Romberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 13:10   #3

Boat: Nimble Artic 26

I allow children, but then I'm landlocked and only day sail at the moment
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 14:16   #4

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

Heck.....half of my crew are already 'kids'!

What part of the world are you in? There are folks and folks with families all over the world on this forum. It would help you find someone to 'hook up with' if we knew where you were at.

It has been a few months since I have updated.....but here is the blog of our 'weekend adventures and wonderings'.

KatABRA

Welcome to the forum!
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 14:33   #5

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling

And now that I think about it. Follow the blogs of some folks that actually DO live aboard with children!

Here are a couple that I follow. I know one of these families are on the forum...not sure about the other. Both families are currently in Mexico.

Rebel Heart - Charlotte's Blog
Bumfuzzle
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 14:39   #6

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Personally, when I'm looking for crew, I don't previously know, I'm hesitant to even accept a couple as I feel it may leave me odd man out on my own boat. I really don't want the added risk and liability of the kids of someone I don't know.

With friends, it's a whole different thing.

My guess is finding a boat willing take on a family will be tough, but there's no reason to not try. You only need one that is interested.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 14:51   #7

Boat: Hunter 410
For us, it would depend at least in part on the itinerary, and perhaps on the age of the young'uns. I would certainly suggest that you offer when folks are looking for crew. For some, the answer would be no, but for others it might well be yes.
jpsgirl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 14:59   #8

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Any yacht clubs around where you are? They tend to have members with kids and often a kids sailing program. When our kids were young we had them do a couple of summers each in the yacht club sailing program to learn the basics and it made them much more comfortable around boats and the water, and they probably know boat handling better than lots of adults. I bet your kids would make friends that way with parents with bigger boats, and they would be less reluctant to take you out knowing that your kids are good around boats. Low-key yacht clubs can be surprisingly cheap, and often have a fair number of members who are not boat owners, believe it or not.
Old 28-02-2013, 15:13   #9

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

If you are talking more long term crewing for cruisers, it would be difficult. They are looking for crew to help with the boat. If you bring children along then you are taking time away from your crew position to tend to the children. As mentioned earlier, liability could be an issue and frankly not all sailboat owners are kid people.

Daysailing is a different animal and many owners are looking for company for daysailing. The kid thing is just a matter of finding the right owner.

With that said, you didn't mention where you live, but many Yacht Clubs have Kids sailing programs. This would allow you kids to learn to sail and at the same time allow you to network in the Yacht Club for crew position or rides.

You could also take some US Sailing or ASA sailing courses and eventually rent boats for you and you family.

Good luck!

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 15:23   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena7878 View Post
Hello,
I am new to this forum and very new to the idea of sailing. No experience yet, but my husband and I would like to start somewhere.

We figure that one good way to start learning about the sailing experience is to join a boat who is looking for a crew for a short sail. Do folks with kids ever do this? Is there a typical minimum age for this?

thanks!
both of my kids grew up on our boat during 2 circumnavigations,during which time we took on many paying crew for the long ocean passages.

small kids on a boat are a 24 hour job,so if they are under 14 i would say you will not find many vessels willing to take on the responsability and disruption that a child will bring.

older than 14 if they can stand a watch,cook and clean and occupy themselves i can't see a problem other than boredom on the part of the child.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 15:25   #11

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I think they are just looking for sailing experience at this point--not necessarily going on a long cruise with someone.
Old 28-02-2013, 15:33   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I think they are just looking for sailing experience at this point--not necessarily going on a long cruise with someone.
join a sailing club,kids get bored very quickly on anything longer than a daysail.

clubs are great,many have optomists and lazars etc which are much more hands on than a yacht.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 16:08   #13

Boat: Beneteau 393

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena7878 View Post
Hello,

thanks!
Where are you located?

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 16:46   #14

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I crewed for many years, it was a great way to learn about sailing. But I would strongly suggest not to take your kid on any boat, except maybe a daysail, near shore, and after checking out the boat and captain carefully. You should definitely not take him/her offshore until you know how to sail, have basic navigation skills, know and demonstrate common sense with the systems aboard, and of course know the boat and crew.

When new to sailing it can be hard identifying what a safe boat is, wether it is leaving port at a safe time of year, been maintained properly, and if it has the right safety gear. Also, it can be hard identifying a ******** captain.( sorry for the language, couldn't think of a better word).

If crewing is what you want to do, take turns crewing. Husband take a trip, then wife take a trip. Once you feel you have a good handle on things then take your kid, but I'd be very careful.

Personally, if I were in your situation, I would think about taking sailing classes. You and your family can learn together, without the risk.

Erika
Old 01-03-2013, 06:06   #15

Thanks all for your enlightening responses.
We currently live in very boring Ohio (neither of us is originally from Ohio). However, we have some family in Daytona Beach and some friends in near Lake Michigan, so we might have some opportunites to take your advice and visit the local Yacht club in those areas.

We currently have a 1.5 yr old, very young I know...so for now, yes, we were just thinking to do some day sails.

I do see there are many threads with many interesting posts on cruising with children. Over the next few years, if we get to the point were we've learned enough and feel comfortable with the idea of being out in the vast ocean, we may want to buy a boat and take long sailing cruises.
athena7878 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children, crew