Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2014, 06:44   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ramsey,NJ
Boat: Pearson P30 30 ft
Posts: 60
Re: DIY Reupholstery questions

yes you are right about the 1/2" being need for support on my chairs, but a 1/8" staple will not even penetrate a folded piece of your fabric. Plywood 1/8" thick would probably have to be purchased at a hobby shop (not cheap) and not in the size you need I've never seen less than 1/4" at lumber yards or HD, or Lowes. Besides when you sit on the top it pulls on the sides and 1/8" would curl like wet lasagna.
I am just offering an opinion but I have spent 42 years in many phases of home building, rebuilt an entire 35' Chris Craft including made new decking with caulking grooves,rebuilt 2 engines and installed them. Restored 3 antique autos and upholstered them. I do not want this to sound like an I did I I I rant, just want to be clear I do know a little about this and I hate to see people waste time and money.
The staple must not only go through the fabric it must go through (come out the other side)of the wood on anything under 3/8".
You might be able to get away with 1/4", but 3/8" would be better, but I will use 1/2"birch ply the US made stuff has exterior glued plies. Do not use cheap sheeting plywood (that wavy, curled stuff you see at HD) or you will have wavy bases.
__________________

__________________
wsulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 06:55   #17
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: DIY Reupholstery questions

Indeed this a VERY dark purple job here too.... More plumb than magenta...

Dudes get very excited about machines that boast the word "sail" imbedded in the brand name, and delight at improbable images of running 1/2" plywood under the foot....

That being said, the plywood idea is brilliant... It is how every ski boat I've owned was done from the factory.... I'll do this on the 22...

There's a forum group here:
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Sewing Group. Boat canvas projects

__________________

__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 07:20   #18
Senior Cruiser
 
AfterHoursNLCT's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Quaker Hill, CT (just above the US Coast Guard Academy)
Boat: Silverton 34 Convertible
Posts: 190
Re: DIY Reupholstery questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckywizard View Post
It's actually a real relief to see all these men sewing! I was at a seminar at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show in October about gender roles on board and heard many a man snort at the mere thought of tackling a traditionally pink job. ...
Tailors have been around for a long time......LL
__________________
AfterHoursNLCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 07:35   #19
Registered User
 
Suijin's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Annapolis MD; currently in Oriental NC
Boat: Valiant 40
Posts: 2,880
Re: DIY Reupholstery questions

I'm about to sew new covers for my settees and buy new foam for my aft cabin berth (where I sleep...it currently has a "furrow" in it that makes sharing the bunk a bit of a challenge). I've done a bit of research on the whole affair and thought I would offer up some links that might be of some help.

First, a demonstration video from Sailrite about sewing boat cushions. Lots of helpful tips and tricks:


Next, a blog post by a sailor who did a bunch of research on choosing foam, with some good links in it to more "technical" data about foam types, hardness, etc:
The unbelievably complicated world of boat cushions | Sundowner Sails Again

Sailrite's fabric calculator:
Fabric Calculator by Sailrite
__________________
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 07:48   #20
Registered User
 
sparrowhawk1's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Miami Beach Fl
Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsulli View Post
yes you are right about the 1/2" being need for support on my chairs, but a 1/8" staple will not even penetrate a folded piece of your fabric. Plywood 1/8" thick would probably have to be purchased at a hobby shop (not cheap) and not in the size you need I've never seen less than 1/4" at lumber yards or HD, or Lowes. Besides when you sit on the top it pulls on the sides and 1/8" would curl like wet lasagna.
I am just offering an opinion but I have spent 42 years in many phases of home building, rebuilt an entire 35' Chris Craft including made new decking with caulking grooves,rebuilt 2 engines and installed them. Restored 3 antique autos and upholstered them. I do not want this to sound like an I did I I I rant, just want to be clear I do know a little about this and I hate to see people waste time and money.
The staple must not only go through the fabric it must go through (come out the other side)of the wood on anything under 3/8".
You might be able to get away with 1/4", but 3/8" would be better, but I will use 1/2"birch ply the US made stuff has exterior glued plies. Do not use cheap sheeting plywood (that wavy, curled stuff you see at HD) or you will have wavy bases.
Hey I asked you a question because I wanted your opinion. By the way before I became a captain I was a professional carpenter for 10+ years. Heh heh. The plywood I'm referring to is called door skins. it's available at any large lumber store and is usually made out of mahogany and dirt cheap. But I think you're right about the staples I'll have to figure out how thick my fabric is and add one eighth of an inch to it. And even if they stand a little proud I don't think the cushion will compress enough to have to worry about it. the applications I'm talking about it's going to be sitting on top of a flat surface so I don't know what curling you're talking about. And I also suggested putting holes in the plywood and adding strips of wood underneath to raise it.
__________________
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 08:13   #21
Registered User
 
sparrowhawk1's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Miami Beach Fl
Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Indeed this a VERY dark purple job here too.... More plumb than magenta...

Dudes get very excited about machines that boast the word "sail" imbedded in the brand name, and delight at improbable images of running 1/2" plywood under the foot....

That being said, the plywood idea is brilliant... It is how every ski boat I've owned was done from the factory.... I'll do this on the 22...

There's a forum group here:
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Sewing Group. Boat canvas projects

I've also seen plywood used on the cushions for many small power boats. I remember it being about an eighth of an inch thick. can you confirm this? Thanks
__________________
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 08:33   #22
Moderator
 
HappyMdRSailor's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: May 2008
Location: North Mississippi
Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon-C22 Chrysler Sunpiper- 19 Potter-Preparing to cruise w/my girl
Posts: 5,980
Re: DIY Reupholstery questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
I've also seen plywood used on the cushions for many small power boats. I remember it being about an eighth of an inch thick. can you confirm this? Thanks
Sparrow...

Know for a fact that all were 1/2" or so.... The interior of these boats are expected to get wet... Open bow... Rain... Etc... Cushions tossed about to access under seat storage and battery compartments... We even used them on shore to lay/sit on...

If I were going to do this method on interior (which I will for the 22) I would go for 3/8.... 1/4" may be adequate, but I wouldn't use a door skin.... You need alternating plies and grain orientation for strength and rigidity...

Don't forget to seal the ply...
__________________
In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 08:41   #23
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Ramsey,NJ
Boat: Pearson P30 30 ft
Posts: 60
Re: DIY Reupholstery questions

Try this site they seem to have good selections and prices. I think the HD-36 HQ or maybe the lux hq wish I had a sample of each.
Welcome to Foam Factory, Inc.
__________________
wsulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 06:12   #24
Registered User
 
luckywizard's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Flag Harbor, MD
Boat: 1972 Columbia 30'
Posts: 26
Re: DIY Reupholstery questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsulli View Post
Try this site they seem to have good selections and prices. I think the HD-36 HQ or maybe the lux hq wish I had a sample of each.
Welcome to Foam Factory, Inc.
Thank you, wsulli. This site is great!
__________________

__________________
luckywizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:39.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.