Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2011, 14:05   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Disappointing Broker

I recently checked my calendars to make sure they all showed 2011. I did not need to correct any of them this late in July (July 30). Well this afternoon I felt like I walked into 1959 (yes I did see 1959 on my calendars the first time). I was touring marinas in the Annapolis area this afternoon and happened to see a boat brokers door open. I thought that was nice I will go in and talk about buying a boat.

Sitting near the door was a man and an obvious man woman couple. I waited a little and then said "I am interested in buying a boat". I believe that sounds normal for someone wanting to buy a boat talking to a boat broker. What I got back in return was very disappointing.

The arrogant, self-important (you fill in the rest) starts with, "do you have an appointment?" Cute, obviously the jerk knows I don't. I replied in the negative. He then proceeded to talk down to me as if I had no clue what a boat was or even looked like. If I had been last Thursday I would have shredded the idiot's face, fortunate for him it is not.

I am a large, older woman, always blond, with an accent that is more heard in the high plains deserts of the west, 1,000 miles from any water of note, than on the shore of the Chesapeake Bay. But, he has no idea of my background nor me of his. I do know now he will not have my business.

Now, are there any brokers I should talk to in the Annapolis, East Shore area who will talk with me, not down to me?
Old 30-07-2011, 14:10   #2

Boat: private yacht always moving
Re: Disappointing Broker

That attitude sounds about right for the average broker. Most remind me of used car salesman
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 14:20   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-and-Boo View Post
I recently checked my calendars to make sure they all showed 2011. I did not need to correct any of them this late in July (July 30). Well this afternoon I felt like I walked into 1959 (yes I did see 1959 on my calendars the first time). I was touring marinas in the Annapolis area this afternoon and happened to see a boat brokers door open. I thought that was nice I will go in and talk about buying a boat.

Sitting near the door was a man and an obvious man woman couple. I waited a little and then said "I am interested in buying a boat". I believe that sounds normal for someone wanting to buy a boat talking to a boat broker. What I got back in return was very disappointing.

The arrogant, self-important (you fill in the rest) starts with, "do you have an appointment?" Cute, obviously the jerk knows I don't. I replied in the negative. He then proceeded to talk down to me as if I had no clue what a boat was or even looked like. If I had been last Thursday I would have shredded the idiot's face, fortunate for him it is not.

I am a large, older woman, always blond, with an accent that is more heard in the high plains deserts of the west, 1,000 miles from any water of note, than on the shore of the Chesapeake Bay. But, he has no idea of my background nor me of his. I do know now he will not have my business.

Now, are there any brokers I should talk to in the Annapolis, East Shore area who will talk with me, not down to me?

Sorry to hear of your bad experience, we are also shopping right now and have seen similar things! Dont worry, there are some decent brokers out there, it is however true that you may get treated a bit better if you call a few days ahead to let the broker know you will be in the area and what you are looking for, but that is still no excuse for this idiots behaviour!! Having bought real estate over the past 23 years I do think there are many brokers in the boating industry who need a massive boot up the backside, these are really tough times.................dont get me started, theres another thread where we go over this.....
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 14:28   #4

Those threads were so much fun. After you buy a boat make sure you go back and show the broker the boat you bought and apologize that you could not give him the money because he was to lazy to get off his arrs and get it.
Old 30-07-2011, 15:01   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
I do know now he will not have my business.
How lucky you are! In 10 seconds you have found one broker who you could never deal with.

Perhpas you could name drop so others can also be wary, and if the broker ever reads this he could consider retiring.

Good luck finding your boat

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 15:08   #6

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

I feel some empathy for boat brokers, having spent 25 years in retail. Time wasters are a huge problem for any salesman and "time waster" is exactly what you are if you don't have a specific boat purchase in mind. Having said that we ran up against some genuine pricks while shopping for Gray Hawk. If I really wanted to see the particular boat that the broker was representing then I would put up with a lot. On the other hand if I was at all indifferent about the boat I usually would succinctly explain the meaning of "recession" and "buyer's market".
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 15:10   #7

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
That attitude sounds about right for the average broker. Most remind me of used car salesman
Thanks for reminding me of when I used to build performance car engines. Occasionally I would need a part; I would go over to the parts store with the vehicle information (even though that had nothing to do with the engine), the part type, OEM part number and the part store number on a yellow sticky. The counter guy would take the yellow sticky, look at it and then ask me if I could bring my boyfriend in or have him call so he could find the part number - and that was the part number on the yellow sticky. Urrr!
I told 'em, look at the yellow sticky or I leave. I had to leave a couple stores.
Old 30-07-2011, 15:17   #8

Well what do you expect. Send a women to do a mans work. Men don't need stickers, we know the part number by heart.

I AM IN SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH TROUBLE NOW

hope the flowers smoothes things over with you
Old 30-07-2011, 15:20   #9

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

bob, I understand "time wasters' bu thtere is a polite and respectful way of seeing who is serious and who is not. Would it have been so difficult for the broker to get up, introduce himself and say "I'm sorry, I am in a meeting wiith these clients but if you can call me/email me/leave me your number I'll be more than happy to sit down and have a talk with you to see what your needs are and how I can help".

Not that hard to do really.
I ran into lots of brokers who asked wher emy husband was as I did the initial shopping and only brought him in if something was really of interest. One broker in particular was very condescending and rude when he heard my original budget and saw my husband wasn't with me. Funnily enough, its a small community and the broker we did end up buying from told me after we bought our boat that he ran into the rude broker who asked if he ever put together a deal with us. Our selling broker got to assure him that he did in fact sell us a boat and oh, we ended up tripling our budget. :-p
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 15:33   #10

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

I am sorry that you had this experience.

Quote:
It is very unfortunate just how true this statement is. I hear about mythical 'good brokers' but have never dealt with, or encountered one.

I have helped a fair number of folks buy and sell boats, and have made deliveries on a fair number also. The most satisfied buyers (and sellers) I have had experience with have avoided middle men.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 16:04   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

What an idiot.

It would have been so easy as someone else said to advise he was with a client right then, and would be tied up for some time, but could he see you later that AM/PM?

It would be just as easy to have also "qualified" you a bit by asking what type of boat you had in mind so he could be prepared when you called/came back etc.

Perhaps asking for your cell number so he could call you when he was free would have been appropriate.

Or giving you a short list of boats to see until he was free.

What a dolt.
Old 30-07-2011, 16:31   #12

Boat: Neptunian 33 - Syren
PM me. I am currently working with a wonderful broker in the Annapolis area.
saltysiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 16:44   #13

Boat: Catalina 350

Quote:
Those threads were so much fun. After you buy a boat make sure you go back and show the broker the boat you bought and apologize that you could not give him the money because he was to lazy to get off his arrs and get it.

I would second that, I have done the same with a boat broker. In fact it works in all aspects of life when you are on the receiving end of rudeness. An off topic anecdote, when Kerry Packer the Austrailian billionaire died, there were many stories told about his generosity. My favorite was the one about him taking his polo team out to dinner in England but they arrived at the pub around 9pm to be told that the kitchen was about to close and they didn't want his business. He went to the next nearest pub, where they also told him that the kitchen was closing but would be happy to stay late etc. At the end of the meal Packer tips something reported as between 16k and 40k (in us dollars). the staff thanked him profusely and all he said in response was something to the effect of "make sure you go into the pub down the road and tell them it was the guy that they turned away",
cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 17:16   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

It sounds childish but these muppets do need to be told you know! I had a clown contact me with details of a boat that might be of interest to me, I sent a perfectly polite reply with a few questions and pointing out that the boat seemed a bit over priced compared with similar models on the market! I got quite a short rude reply from him telling me he would not normaly ¨waste his time¨ sending a reply to ¨people like me¨ ...he went on to say this boat was as good as it gets and that the owners were firm on price and had no need to sell for less..........I did not like his tone ,so, I crossed him off the list of brokers I may work with in the future, THEN...3 days later the SAME boat turns up on yacht world for $10,000 LESS???? You only have to go around this forum to see how the buyer work, I would suggest there are at least 12 potential buyers at any time posting on here, asking all the right questions and preparing for what for many of them is one of the biggest decisions they will have to make, of course they want to take thier time and you wont sell to everyone.......this crap from some brokers about ¨tyre kickers¨ needs to stop now! In fact, I would have thought there is room for an EU and a USA Broker to become ¨Official Forum broker sponsors¨........
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 17:52   #15

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:

Hopefully it was just a case of someone having pee- peed in his corn flakes or you picked the one day he needed someone to cut him some slack. Shake the dust from your sandals and move on as they say.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote