Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2013, 09:15   #1
Registered User
 
Eric Barley's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: St. John, USVI
Boat: Beneteau 393 39'
Posts: 7
Desperate to get Family Dog to Virgin Islands

We are moving to St. John and due to weather embargo we are unable to fly our family dog. Will pay to transport her to anyone heading that way. She is a very low maintenance dog very well mannered and trained. Please contact with offers 352-339-6435 or respond to the thread.
__________________

__________________
Eric Barley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 14:13   #2
Registered User
 
tbodine88's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Austin TX
Boat: West Wight Potter 19
Posts: 719
Re: Desperate to get family do to virgin islands

You might have read this already.
Pet Cargo Airline Restrictions - PetTravel.com

We flew our dogs from Antigua to California in November with no problem, but then you might be unwilling to wait til then.
__________________

__________________
Frimi Captain
Tom Bodine
tbodine88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 14:16   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,033
Re: Desperate to get family do to virgin islands

Eric-
Each ariline has different policies, but most will allow a dog, even a large dog, to fly in the passenger cabin. You may need to buy two or three tickets to account for the seats that are not going to be used--but if you are desperate, check with each airline that serves your route.
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 12:54   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
angelfish2's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: where pelicans fly
Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~
Posts: 229
Re: Desperate to get family do to virgin islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Eric-
Each ariline has different policies, but most will allow a dog, even a large dog, to fly in the passenger cabin. You may need to buy two or three tickets to account for the seats that are not going to be used--but if you are desperate, check with each airline that serves your route.
Respectfully, this may be incorrect. All animals riding in the cabin have to be able to fit under your seat (except for a service animal). A big dog would not be able to do that. I know this because we traveled everywhere with our kitty, by air.
__________________
angelfish2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 13:12   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,033
Re: Desperate to get Family Dog to Virgin Islands

angelfish, the animal policy will vary with the carrier, but for anyone flying on a US carrier, they are all ADA compliant and will generally take larger animals in the cabin simply because they are already required to do so for service animals. Once you've had a 150# service dog occupying the space of three footrests, you've got the ability to sell those three seats to anyone with a similar size animal. Service animal, or pet. As I said, at the discretion of the carrier.

In fact I was told by one major carrier that my dog would HAVE TO fly this way, across three cabin seats, because she was too large to fit in the largest size pet crate that they would accept as "cargo".

No one requires them to carry pets in the cabin, but it is a highly profitable business for them. And the only way to find out, is to call the carrier, not to ask civilians on the internet.

There are often other policies, such as limiting the number of animals (caged or otherwise) in the cabin to two or three on any one flight, so it pays to call ahead because that is "first come first served".
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 06:09   #6
Registered User
 
Eric Barley's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: St. John, USVI
Boat: Beneteau 393 39'
Posts: 7
Re: Desperate to get Family Dog to Virgin Islands

Thanks for all the friendly advice, but without divine intervention, it looks like the familyDog is not going to make the trip. If anyone is going that way or knows of any other
Options, please, respond or contact us. Thanks again, come see us at Sail Safaris on St. John
__________________
Eric Barley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 20:59   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,033
Re: Desperate to get Family Dog to Virgin Islands

Did you try the FedEx Live Animal Desk at 1.800.405.9052
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 08:52   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Beaufort, NC
Boat: 38' Hans Christian
Posts: 23
Re: Desperate to get Family Dog to Virgin Islands

It costs a lot more, but you can use PetSafe travel (may be called other things depending on the airline) on some of the airlines to ship your pet during the times of animal embargo. I completely understand your desperation- I've been there. Your best option is to call all of the airlines that fly there. You may need to fly your dog into a nearby airport that has a cargo facility and then take a ferry (I think STT on St. Thomas has a cargo facility and I know that San Juan does).
__________________
Piper'sGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 09:00   #9
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Desperate to get Family Dog to Virgin Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
angelfish, the animal policy will vary with the carrier, but for anyone flying on a US carrier, they are all ADA compliant and will generally take larger animals in the cabin simply because they are already required to do so for service animals. Once you've had a 150# service dog occupying the space of three footrests, you've got the ability to sell those three seats to anyone with a similar size animal. Service animal, or pet. As I said, at the discretion of the carrier.

In fact I was told by one major carrier that my dog would HAVE TO fly this way, across three cabin seats, because she was too large to fit in the largest size pet crate that they would accept as "cargo".

No one requires them to carry pets in the cabin, but it is a highly profitable business for them. And the only way to find out, is to call the carrier, not to ask civilians on the internet.

There are often other policies, such as limiting the number of animals (caged or otherwise) in the cabin to two or three on any one flight, so it pays to call ahead because that is "first come first served".

I think you'll find that the dog has to be officially designated as a service animal.

One of the easiest ways to make your dog a service animal is to have it certified to be a therapy dog, if it has the appropriate temperament, and many large dogs do. It will still cost a lot, but I would not count on allowing a large dog in the cabin unless it has service designation.

I would also make sure it is wearing its service designation on the flight, and treat the dog as if he/she is working -- don't allow people to approach him, pet him, etc. because he'll be dealing with enough that's new. Help him behave like a service dog.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 09:02   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: Desperate to get Family Dog to Virgin Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
I think you'll find that the dog has to be officially designated as a service animal.

One of the easiest ways to make your dog a service animal is to have it certified to be a therapy dog, if it has the appropriate temperament, and many large dogs do. It will still cost a lot, but I would not count on allowing a large dog in the cabin unless it has service designation.

I would also make sure it is wearing its service designation on the flight, and treat the dog as if he/she is working -- don't allow people to approach him, pet him, etc. because he'll be dealing with enough that's new. Help him behave like a service dog.
There is a real purpose for a service dog, and this isn't it.
__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 09:17   #11
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Desperate to get Family Dog to Virgin Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
There is a real purpose for a service dog, and this isn't it.

That's absolutely true, but in effect any well-loved pet IS a service dog for that family. There really is nothing like coming home after a stressful day to a big gallomphing body of total affection for you.

In addition I'm thinking of the dog, whose feelings for his family are also quite genuine. What happens to that dog if he has to be left behind?

I have no problem with what I'm suggesting. They could even USE the dog as a therapy dog, either at their destination (possibly making the practice more common there), or when they get home.

I don't own a dog, but my heart absolutely lifted when the new boat owner's dog refused to leave the sidewalk and go back to the boat because she saw me getting out of my car and wanted to greet me. It makes me smile every time I think of it because I had only met the dog a couple of times.

I wish more people with good-natured, calm dogs would have their dogs certified. Did you know that children who are struggling to read try harder and read with more confidence when reading to a service dog? They know the dog is not going to correct their every mistake.

I used to teach learning disabled students. If I knew now what I knew then I would have adopted such a dog and brought it to school.

I think this is heart-breaking, that they may have to leave their dog behind, and their may be a solution, a solution with benefits no one is aware of yet.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 09:27   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: Desperate to get Family Dog to Virgin Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
That's absolutely true, but in effect any well-loved pet IS a service dog for that family. There really is nothing like coming home after a stressful day to a big gallomphing body of total affection for you.

I respectfully disagree. There is a real purpose for service dogs, and if we're going to redefine it as "any family dog", then we might as well not bother.

Although I'm quite certain that the designation gets abused sometimes. Kind of like people parking in handicapped spots either when they don't have a sticker, or when they DO have a sticker but not the need.

Another option would be to wait until November to fly their dog down.
__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 10:12   #13
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Desperate to get Family Dog to Virgin Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
I respectfully disagree. There is a real purpose for service dogs, and if we're going to redefine it as "any family dog", then we might as well not bother.

Although I'm quite certain that the designation gets abused sometimes. Kind of like people parking in handicapped spots either when they don't have a sticker, or when they DO have a sticker but not the need.

Another option would be to wait until November to fly their dog down.

Well, I disagree. If these people get their dog designated as a service dog, it does not diminish my service dog or your service dog at all. We still take our dogs to schools, hospitals, etc.

How do you know they won't see this quality in their dog and make use of it? Do you imagine that thousands of people are doing this?

The whole point of therapy dogs is spreading compassion. And yes, I think the great majority of dogs ARE therapy dogs for their families. There's clear evidence that owning a pet lowers blood pressure and extends life. People with pets live longer than people who don't have pets (there are exceptions, of course, like the stereotype of Frasier Crane) ... most people respond very positively to pets. My children certainly remember their dog coming to lie with them when they were sick, often only leaving to eat and relieve himself.

So I say, show this dog and this family some compassion. Maybe they'll even pass the kindness on. Maybe they already do that in other ways because the dog reduces their personal stress and they notice that someone else needs some small thing they can do for them.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 10:27   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 13,033
Re: Desperate to get Family Dog to Virgin Islands

"One of the easiest ways to make your dog a service animal is to have it certified to be a therapy dog,"
Nope. A service animal and a therapy dog are still considered two separate classes. A service animal goes anywhere you go, but a therapy dog has no legitimate business going to the barber or the supermarket, and they don't have to let it in.

One of the big problems with the whole "service animal" concept has been that there are no national accredations and every idiot who wants "boopsie" to travel with them has been getting bogus certifications from self-serving companies, making it impossible for merchants to tell what is a properly trained well-behaved service animal, and what is just a pampered fluffball on parade.

Now, I like dogs. I think they should be allowed into all sorts of places, service animal or not. But like children, I think that if they are not properly trained and well-behaved, they MUST be left at home. And I want some assurance that they (kids or dogs) won't foul the carpet or have a shrieking fit if they're on the same plane I'm on.

Bogus service animals, bogus disabilities...We can fix that.
__________________
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 10:41   #15
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Desperate to get Family Dog to Virgin Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"One of the easiest ways to make your dog a service animal is to have it certified to be a therapy dog,"
Nope. A service animal and a therapy dog are still considered two separate classes. A service animal goes anywhere you go, but a therapy dog has no legitimate business going to the barber or the supermarket, and they don't have to let it in.

One of the big problems with the whole "service animal" concept has been that there are no national accredations and every idiot who wants "boopsie" to travel with them has been getting bogus certifications from self-serving companies, making it impossible for merchants to tell what is a properly trained well-behaved service animal, and what is just a pampered fluffball on parade.

Now, I like dogs. I think they should be allowed into all sorts of places, service animal or not. But like children, I think that if they are not properly trained and well-behaved, they MUST be left at home. And I want some assurance that they (kids or dogs) won't foul the carpet or have a shrieking fit if they're on the same plane I'm on.

Bogus service animals, bogus disabilities...We can fix that.

I did not know there were "diploma mills" for service dogs. Where I work, if the owner says it's a service dog, it's a service dog. If the dog creates a problem they deal with it.

I didn't suggest they use a bogus diploma mill. I hope they don't.

you are right. Therapy dogs are emotional or medical support, and the owner would need a letter from a mental health official explaining the necessity. Examples are autistic children. Therapy dogs (and at least one cat that I know of) have tremendously helped some children with autism.

You're right. I'm wrong.
__________________

__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
family

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Owner/operator wanted for daysailing in Virgin Islands cgf Commercial Posts 17 16-12-2013 17:01
Want To Buy: Desperate to get family dog to virgin islands Eric Barley Classifieds Archive 7 27-07-2013 13:41
Catamarans - Current Market Situation Dragon Lady Multihull Sailboats 505 08-07-2012 18:06
Crew Available: St. Martin to Virgin Islands brishear Crew Archives 0 30-10-2011 07:49
Good Charter Management Companies in the Virgin Islands ? rlpconsult Boat Ownership & Making a Living 0 30-09-2011 19:38



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:25.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.