Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2011, 19:33   #76
cruiser

functions and relations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpons View Post
There are lies, damn lies and statistics.

Just name a few prominent persons that have been home-schooled and I might consider that your statistics (unseen yet) are correct.

call a spade a spade,, the truth is the truth,, heard that after some f as im no morleece artist left the dock,,no comebacks 4 thosae guys,, and never give up the highground ,,remind me that 2 level devils still exist,,i just off summ devil; mine all mine.. made in the shade,,make some wonder,,how about ha on,,or uez youx,,you ever hear song "if i tell you im more than a word i lie as im no morer yhan a letter of a word" the greatest thing satan did was fooling the planet that satan and thre devil dont exist'' read how fallen amgels become lucifers in tjhe old testament,ttotolaly sad how children bare abused by parents nowadays especially parents with money /colntrol,,,seen it why appear messed when i know trig and chem ,truth is even though i have seen drowned sailors i dont want you to see,,love you so if i lie so be it,, serious,,i dont let my loved one see hell unless necessary,,i love hell ,,hell dont scare me,,so bring it oln,,chainsaw tea.black eyes?
pullord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2011, 19:49   #77
cruiser

thanks 4 support

sobered up..was intoxi
Old 26-01-2011, 00:48   #79
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Just name a few prominent persons that have been home-schooled and I might consider that your statistics (unseen yet) are correct.

As a school teacher who has to deal with up to 35 kids at a time, I'd agree that home schooling (with the right teachers) gives kids a better chance of academic success. I've also come across many stores about how 'boat schooled' kids tend to be more mature and sociable than those kids who mingle only with other kids the same age; and consequently place too much value on fashion and current trends.

I'd doubt the intelligence, however, of someone who seeks to form his opinions based solely on the backgrounds of celebrities and other trend-setters.
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 02:19   #80
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Sailoress View Post
I...'d doubt the intelligence, however, of someone who seeks to form his opinions based solely on the backgrounds of celebrities and other trend-setters.
I would doubt a lot more then just intelligence if the decisions were based SOLEY, on any one issue...

unfrotunately, there are tons of issues involved with our current education system... and the biggest issue i can see is a serious lack of priorities with our economic 'system'...

it is apparent education is low on the list of priorities as proven by the lack of funding and or a system to recognize more qualified teachers from less qualified...

a combination of both of those is a big problem.

my little 'story' about priorities is...

an actor can portray the president of the united states and 'invest' a month or two into that part, and get paid ten times the amount the real president earns...

as long as we as a society dont think about that and then rewards via 'admiration' that actor while we ridicule the real president, there is something serious wrong... this applies to actors, sports figures, emt personnel, fire fighter, cops, *(yes, i said cops), teachers and otehr critically important people should be paid more thne 'actors'... or football players, or tennis players...

our lives suck so bad that we need the diversion that actors and sports folk give us that we reward them by paying $6-15-25 per ticket to see them, and $10-30 for popcorn and soda..

and then we armchair quarterback the real folks...

our society is based on lies, and falsities... and has no basis in realism...

uh-oh... typing while intoxicated... sorry... ramblin again...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 05:13   #81
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:

Well the prominent persons Bergovoy took care of. But my daughter who was home schooled on a boat, at home and traveled with her parents all over the country and many parts of the world is now in the university of Wein enrolled in their business school. She speaks, her self taught, French fairly well and is becoming fluent in German. Her required graduating test scores had to be higher than students who attended public school. I could go on for pages of the advantages she had that no public school educated child will ever have. My mother, father and sisters were and are all are public school teachers. When my wife and I first announced that we were going to home school her when she was in third grade they about had a heart attack. How irresponsible could we be as parents? Now they cannot praise our decision enough. It's not for everybody to be sure. But the condition of our public schools is in dire need of re-vamping and most parents that home school don't feel their child's short time in school should be jeopardized waiting for the school system to get their act together. In Florida there is a very very large end of the year graduation for home schooled kids that have completed the states requirements for high school. In recent years many collages including Yale, Harvard, Princeton, etc., have representatives that anxiously take applications from these ill educated, un-socialized children, born of nut case parents. Ya know, children like those four guys on Mount Rushmore.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 07:00   #82
cruiser

kids like those 4 guys on mt rushmore?

oops,stepped on landmine,,firstly i knew algebra,chemical nomenclature,advanced functions and relations and all that other bs i had to learn that i now never use to make $,,my only point was that unless you are skilled how can you teach that to kids so that they can go on to university confident in their knowledge of the prequisites required to graduate with honours or even graduate at all,,i met homeschooled boatkids in the lower antilles in the 80s who could speak several languages but didnt have the 12x table memorized or periodic table elements for qiuk chemical nomenclature solutions,,yes,,workplace is competitive and im sure most of those boatkids went on to happy lives but will they snag a great job with fabulus pension that is both fun and rewarding i doubt,,their parents i witnessed were having fun and of course there were no truantcy officers,,as a former landlord i have the utmost respect for mothers who are actively caring for their children but sadly i have witnessed the oppisite,,as some famous yankee once said"i never met a person i didnt like" it doesnt mean i have to tolerate their presence,,for god so loved the world he gave his son a bad job,,cheers
Old 26-01-2011, 15:49   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Sailoress View Post
I'd doubt the intelligence, however, of someone who seeks to form his opinions based solely on the backgrounds of celebrities and other trend-setters.
You seem to confuse prominence with celebrity. Some kid actors are home-schooled for the convenience of the studio, but I'd like to exclude "celebrities". Let's count Nobel recipients, MacArthur's grant recipients, Silicon Valley geniuses, etc.

BTW, private schools with fewer kids are better for academic preparation (I ignorantly guess leaps ahead of home-schooling), but we should can keep these off the topic too.
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 16:01   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
When my wife and I first announced that we were going to home school her when she was in third grade they about had a heart attack. How irresponsible could we be as parents?
It is impossible to tell, of course, how well your kid would have done if she had gone to a public school. I went to a public school and I'm quite satisfied with my achievements in life. My youngest kid goes to a private school, and while he's learning things not in the curricula of public schools, I don't believe that's a predictor of anything. Education is not only about grammar, math, etc. A big part of an education is to learn to properly function in a social group and to adapt to it and its rules, without feelings of non-belonging or fanatical belonging.

We are approaching fast the point when we are not convincing each other, so I'll leave it here.

Good winds
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2011, 17:29   #85
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Quote:
It is impossible to tell, of course, how well your kid would have done if she had gone to a public school. I went to a public school and I'm quite satisfied with my achievements in life. My youngest kid goes to a private school, and while he's learning things not in the curricula of public schools, I don't believe that's a predictor of anything. Education is not only about grammar, math, etc. A big part of an education is to learn to properly function in a social group and to adapt to it and its rules, without feelings of non-belonging or fanatical belonging.

We are approaching fast the point when we are not convincing each other, so I'll leave it here.

Good winds
No problem. Not trying to convince anyone to believe any one system is better than the other. This is just a discussion. I do know that there are a lot of misconceptions about homeschooling. I had them myself and I am a product of a public school education as well. The socialization is usually the first question asked about homeschooling. Most home schooled kids are not constantly exposed to the same aged children all day long. Most associate in home schooled groups with children younger and older than they are and exposed to far more adults in their education than the single teacher most public primary students are. I'm not an educator but it seems to me that lends itself to better socialization opportunities and skills developed. I understand the fanatical belonging comment and would be lying if I said I did not see that as well. But it is a smaller and smaller group. Home schooling has gained a lot of ground from when my daughter went through it. In Florida the number of home schooled children have been increasing at a pretty amazing rate from when we started. Also it is a belief that home schooled kids spend all their time with mommy learning. Many have tutors and attend classes in private schools and public schools in areas they feel weak in. Florida public schools, especially Broward county have been extremely helpful in aiding home schooled children. Your point of "It is impossible to tell, of course, how well your kid would have done if she had gone to a public school." is well taken, even though I have a pretty good idea. But I do know this. We have plenty of friends who have children the same age range as our daughter. Parents whose children are home schooled as well, children who attend private schools only, and those that attend public schools only. As any parent I feel my child is exceptional. But outside of a fathers pride, I see the real comparisons between these kids and, pardon the pun, the schools of thought. Remember that how well ones child does in any school is not the sole predictor of success regardless of what helicopter parents think. Statistics show that for the most part the most successful kids were C to B students. I'm sorry to think that too many parents believe that success is measured in jobs, money and retirement benefits. Again as stated in my above posts. come from family of very dedicated public schools teachers. I grew up with educators at the dinner table all my life. The best educated teachers are in the public schools. They are required continuing education to keep their certificates current. They work many after hours without pay. A most admirable profession. But I have seen first hand how their hands are tied from bloated administrations, non involved parents that see the schools as nothing more than a baby sitting service, assaults, drugs, disruptions and lack of teaching materials that have to be made up out of the pockets of the teachers themselves. Are all schools this way? No. Are there more than there should be? Absolutely. Does this make the decision to forgo a public education easier for really concerned parents? Again absolutely. Long gone is the fallacy home schoolers are children of bunker mentality parents and religious fanatics. It is growing at an exponential rate in all cultures, backgrounds and beliefs and for very good and sound reasons. So to keep this cruising related. I would whole hearted recommend cruising parents with school aged children to home school them while away. You will give them educational gifts no public schooled child will ever experience.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:44   #86

Boat: Gulfstar 44
Woe...I'm humbled by how much stuff my initial post stirred up...great read!
sailingrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 13:54   #87

Re: Dealing with Non-Custodial Parents

I am so glad to find this thread. We are in the same situation. The children's biological father is telling them the same things, like the boat is going to sink etc. The only difference is that he is not involved with them and moved several years ago to the other side of the country. So he has not seen them in 2 years by HIS choice and yet he will not allow them to travel. It's annoying but as most have mentioned here, there's nothing you can do. I just hope my kids like sailing enough to want to take a trip with us when they turn 18!
Patience Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 15:36   #88
cruiser

i recall it was will rogers that said :;i never met a man i didnt like;;sadly this famous quote doesnt apply to me as i have little patience for the "dont reward evil with evil" crowd,,some parents{persons} ARE bad and irresponsible and will deny your kids the things/experiances in this life they never had either through their own misfortune or lazyness,,of course noone expects you to be a model parent but my motto is to look after my own first ,,as it says in the bible that the he/she that does not look after their own family is worse than an infidel{corinthians} so b it,,dont look back just do it as paper servers have a had time outside usa,,cheers
Old 02-05-2011, 16:26   #89

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

After 18 years of a simular situation as the OP, we are finally graduating our CB kid. It seemed like forever, and the constant legal battles taxed our finances, and our sanity. But finally it is over. From experience I would have asked for the visitation adjustment without saying anything about what it is for, (like the saying goes anything you say WILL be used against you in a court of law). Make sure the kid is available even if the ex doesn't intend to excercise, (my wifes ex would call the house just to see if we were home, and then imediately run to the court with an interference order and demand makup and monetary damages if the phone wasn't picked up in 3 rings). They must all read the same book. My advice is let the sailing thing go, wait a year or so, then request a schedule that will allow for the sailing trips you plan on(you may have to break them u a little), don't say why just say it will decrease transportation expenses, "for him". And hope for the best.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 18:41   #90
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Patience, if the dad does not have custody, lives a continent away, and hasn't seen the kids in two years, how can he forbid them to travel? Either he's in custody or he isn't, and custody from a continent away with no contact seems most peculiar.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote