Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2011, 09:45   #1

Boat: 1972 Catalina 27
Daydreaming About Refitting

Ok, so it's gonna seem a bit silly for me to be talking about this because we don't even own a boat yet. We're buying a friend's '72 Catalina 27 this spring, and it will be our first sailboat. We have the best jobs for cruising- we're off December-February and May-August. But because we got into this late in the season, all I can really do between now and spring is read, and daydream about updating the cabin.

Sooo... I'm looking for ideas and suggestions. Unfortunately the boat's already put up for the season before I had a chance to get any really good pictures or measurements. I have all the cushions so that I can work on recovering them. I'm not sure what fabric I will get- whatever I can find cheap. (I'm checking out a local Herman Miller outlet- $5/bolt!) The galley has been taken out, so all that's there is a homemade counter on legs and a sink with a drain, but no water. The paneling on the bulkhead is dated and I'm trying to decide what to do about the sole- carpet or wood. (we have dogs, so I'm thinking carpet) I'm not sure what I want to do about the galley- I think it's way too soon to know if we'll cook in it- I'm sure we'll mostly day sail at first. I'd like a refrigerator, but I'm not sure what is the best type to buy for power.

I have so many thoughts in my brain that I thought this might be a good place to start.
lippysyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 11:33   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Daydreaming About Refitting

I spent two months every summer for over 5 years doing my refit...pretty much the rest of the year I was a couple thousand miles away...I spent lots of time daydreaming and doing mock-ups and planing....Loved every minute of it.
My best advice is to have fun with it...look at as many other boats you can, either in person or on the net/magazines...and do be afraid to do it the way you want it.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2011, 11:45   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Putting a stove back in would be good so you can cook and make hot drinks.

We have rubber backed carpets on the floor so the dogs have something to grip on and not wreck the holly and teak floor.

The rest? well it doesn't matter if it's not done before Spring, just add water and enjoy the sailing and escaping from a mad mad world.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2011, 20:26   #4

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I

Congratulations on your new boat! The Cat 27 is such a great boat, you're gonna have a ball. I have one idea for you. Go to Yachtworld and search boats 24-29', 1970-1985 and check out the interior photos for ideas. You'll be amazed at some of the cool things people have done. I remember seeing a Cheoy Lee 28 that was SO cute inside, I wanted to live on it. As far as the frig, is there room for a portable AC/DC Norcold unit? I don't remember the C27 layout that well to know, but it would save you a lot of insulating, wiring, etc.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 17:27   #5

Boat: 1972 Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinLA View Post
Congratulations on your new boat! The Cat 27 is such a great boat, you're gonna have a ball. I have one idea for you. Go to Yachtworld and search boats 24-29', 1970-1985 and check out the interior photos for ideas. You'll be amazed at some of the cool things people have done. I remember seeing a Cheoy Lee 28 that was SO cute inside, I wanted to live on it. As far as the frig, is there room for a portable AC/DC Norcold unit? I don't remember the C27 layout that well to know, but it would save you a lot of insulating, wiring, etc.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I have been obsessing collecting some pictures and I plan on recovering the cushions first.

I definetly want a Norcold unit, but I think that may be a second season purchase- phew, those are pricey.

Ok, so here's a few quesions ratteling in my head:

Since we likely can't afford a Norcold the 1st year, I'm thinking of the Coleman electric cooler. Any thoughts?

The boat only has two batteries. (I think) Wouldn't more be better? If I'm understanding it correctly, it's kinda like a trailer- when you're plugged in you have (kinda) unlimited power, but when unplugged, you're limited to what the batteries hold. Right? And does the motor charge the batteries?

There is no water on this boat, but there is a sink with a drain in the galley. It might be nice to be able to wash hands, etc. I'm wondering if the path of least resistance is a small holding tank and a foot pump. I want somthing that is uncomplicated and takes up little space. Ideas?

The bulkhead wall is paneled and very ugly. No teak there, lol. Does anybody know how diffucult it is to cover or replace that? I don't want to take the boat apart, but I'm not sure I want to paint it either. So far the pictures I've seen of boats with painted bulkheads looked kinda odd, but maybe that was just their color chouce, lol. Hubby was thinking vaneer.

I want to do something with the sole. I've seen some with wood- looked like it was just from the hardware store- is it ok to glue something to the floor? I'm also thinking about carpet too, since we have dogs and they might appreciate the traction.

Ok, I think that's enough for now, he he.
lippysyd is offline   Reply With Quote