Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-01-2012, 16:21   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Cruising without pets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
The best cat scratch post on board I have seen was cool rope work around the table base, going all the way up. They used a sisal rope, maybe 3/16? Just replaced it every year or so as it got worn.
Like THIS?
It's the fifth leg under our dining room table.
8" PVC pipe with 3/8" sisal.
Our three cats love it and none of them ever scratch anywhere else in the house.
If it looks fresh, that's because it is.
I just replaced it yesterday, as the old stuff had been retied several times.
You should have seen the cats looks while I was removing the old stuff.
I swear there was a look of alarm on their faces.
As soon as I got done replacing it, they all tried out the newly replaced sisal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1332[1].jpg
Views:	103
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	35459  

Old 02-01-2012, 16:47   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
Replace the word "cats" and "feline companions" with "kids" and "children". What would you do in that case?
Free to good home?

Old 02-01-2012, 17:11   #18
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Like THIS?
It's the fifth leg under our dining room table.
Yep Steve, like that, only the one I saw had fancy halfhitch patterns going around the pole ; -)

Maybe next year you can shoot for salty instead of just smart ; -D

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 17:33   #19

Boat: private yacht always moving

I have in the past been "forced" to sail without my wife for the most part because we in a past life acquired three feline companions who we cannot leave completely unattended at home while we go off for six months or more.

I always like to help out a fellow CF member. Next time you want to go sailing just let me know and i will gladly keep the cats and wife company for you. Really I do not mind,,,,,, If I am busy maybe DOJ can take my place.,,,,,Just glad to help out. Can you post some pictures of the cats and wife, along with the dates you will be gone so I can put this on my calendar.,,,No trouble on my part,,, enjoy the sail,,,,,Or if you like you can stay home with the wife and cats and I can take your sailboat out for you,,, either way works for me

Old 02-01-2012, 17:45   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

I'm game ......or could have a word with someone on the $500 a month thread for some cat sitting. Just make sure they don't have a Pressure Cooker........
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 18:56   #21
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunpiker View Post
I'm new to the forum though not to cruising so forgive me if this inquiry seems odd or out of place. I have in the past been "forced" to sail without my wife for the most part because we in a past life acquired three feline companions who we cannot leave completely unattended at home while we go off for six months or more. What have others done to deal with this issue? We've thought of the obvious solutions, none of which seem entirely satisfactory. Our children already have cats of their own and a limited capacity, if any, to house more. "Cat sitters" coming into our home to attend to the needs of the little beasties every few days has proven problematic in the past. Boarding them seems heartless and expensive. Having them put down is out of the question. Having them on board is fraught with difficulties. What have we not thought of?

Thanks for any thoughts.

If you're leaving the USA then it is fraught with difficulties ... but my cats love it aboard. But you're right about leaving them at home with a visitor every couple of days. Cats need human contact. It may not seem that way, but they do.

I would suggest you look for someone willing to board them in their home for a fee. It will be a lot less money, and a lot more humane, than being in a kennel all that time.
Old 02-01-2012, 19:01   #22
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shunpiker View Post
All three are indoor/outdoor cats. They are accustomed to roaming our two-acre acreage at will. All three are neutered males, but they retain some bad habits such as clawing and scenting in inappropriate places, i.e., inside. I don't want the damage to our house and furnishings replicated on the boat. In addition I wonder about simply keeping all three of them on board. The oldest, now 13, is extremely inquisitive and bold.

I've never tried having any of them on board so perhaps my imagination is exaggerating the challenges.

The marking issue is a serious one. My cats stay below while underway, and the cockpit is netted in with phifertex. Even then, I had to put a cord around the outside of the cockpit. I zip-tie the outside of the zipper to the cord when I leave because my Einstein-cat figured out that if she head-butted it enough, she could get out (that's how the other one ended up falling in the water).

So whatever your solutions are, you have to test them well. I also had (had) netting over the companionway, but she figured out she could head-butt the bottom enough to force snaps open and get out. So now I have to put the cribboards in when sailing or motoring. I'm going to have new netting made with "twisting" connections (like you see on mailnsail covers). No matter how smart she is, she can't grow an opposeable thumb!
Old 06-01-2012, 12:02   #23

Thank you all for your thoughts.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:03   #24

Boat: 1991 Hunter Vision 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
stew

at least that was the article I read the other day or so off MSN

Just take the cats with you. What's more important their wants or yours? If they don't like it they are welcome to jump ship.

Our kind of sick humor we call this method SHARK BAIT LOL*

I tease that our dogs are going to get so excited over the dolphins they will jump overboard and become shark bait....gotta find the humor where I can..
Old 08-01-2012, 12:29   #25

Re: Cruising Without Pets

Some of you are seriously sick individuals, just like my best friends :<)
Old 08-01-2012, 12:38   #26

How has a cat sitter been problematic? The only problem from our point of view has been cost. The cat sitter feeds them, spends a half hour interacting with them, brings in the mail and any packages. Works very well. It's going to work out expensive for a long cruise, though.

Maybe change your cat sitter?
Old 08-01-2012, 13:09   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Replace the word "cats" and "feline companions" with "kids" and "children". What would you do in that case?

You wouldn't be the first person to cruise with multiple animals onboard. Nor the first person in this thread.
For those of us who don't consider cats and children equivalent this does offer some humourous possibilities but enough said about that.

My cats were always indoor/outdoor country cats, probably much like yours. The last of the lineage lived aboard with me for a year and she liked it a lot. She didn't like sailing because of the difficulty moving when the boat has heeled but she loved being close to me at all times and the sense of being in a protected space; far safer then being outside in the countryside. She didn't seem to miss being able to be on land but she was pretty old by that time.

The biggest problem I had with it was the fur and she was just one little short haired critter. I imagine those of you with multiples must have had an awful lot of it everywhere.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 14:38   #28

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We've cruised extensively with 3 cats and find them no more trouble than at home. In fact, we wouldn't leave home without them.
Old 09-01-2012, 19:41   #29

Boat: Davidson 46, 14m LOA

Have you thought of having someone house-sitting for you? Instead of popping in to feed the cats, they live in your house while you're away. The cats get to stay on their own property, they get fed and looked after, the house is occupied (and therefore less likely to be targeted for burglarly), your mail gets collected, lawns mowed, etc, cats get human interaction (aka a new person to terrorise) and you get to go sailing knowing that all is well at home.

Win-win
Old 12-01-2012, 09:49   #30

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
...tie them up in the backyard with a bowl of water and go cruising...no brainer!

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, pets

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: