Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2009, 12:01   #16

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
There's a lovely flight (is that the correct word?) of white cockatoos who used to haunt my flat in Happy Valley in the mornings. The rumour was that they were set free as the Japanese took Hong Kong in WW2. They, or their descendants are still around to this day, and as they live to a pretty good age I often wonder what they've seen...
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2009, 04:55   #17

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Do you need an extra holding tank for all of the poop that a parrot can generate?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 04:13   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Do you need an extra holding tank for all of the poop that a parrot can generate?
Yes. Bring Polly to Australia and Quarantine will want to collect all his poop. At your expense. Some of our resitrictions are truly expensive!

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2009, 15:52   #19

Boat: Hunter 430 Legend
We are trying to figure out if our sun conure will do well as a liveaboard and how to set up things for him. We will be docked in the marina until the boat is ready to cruise (a while). Does anyone keep their parrot as a liveaboard when not cruising? Are their wings clipped? Do you take them on deck/cockpit to get sun with a harness? Have anyone had their bird fall on the water? We are concern about our bird's safety onboard as he likes to come out of his cage during the day but his wings are clipped and if he flies is not far, but in a boat a very small "take-off" can land him in the water. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Mermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 02:39   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mermaid View Post
We are trying to figure out if our sun conure will do well as a liveaboard and how to set up things for him. We will be docked in the marina until the boat is ready to cruise (a while). Does anyone keep their parrot as a liveaboard when not cruising? Are their wings clipped? Do you take them on deck/cockpit to get sun with a harness? Have anyone had their bird fall on the water? We are concern about our bird's safety onboard as he likes to come out of his cage during the day but his wings are clipped and if he flies is not far, but in a boat a very small "take-off" can land him in the water. Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Hi Mermaid,

I have an African Grey (10 years old) who I am teaching to use a harness, with hopes to bring him on board. His wings are clipped so I have never had a need to use one before, but I believe this will be safer for him while on deck. There are a few other posts regarding birds on board and it seems that many of them love it.

Check out this thread also: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...toos-3083.html

The harness we are using is the "aviator harness" that has a little give in the leash. You can also attach a retractable dog leash.

Best of luck!
Sarah
sfreivald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 08:56   #21

Boat: 32' Challenger - Feelin' Nauti
We cruised for 16 years with Our Quaker Parrot, Marley. We then got a parrotlet soon after. We didn't have many problems because they stayed aboard. We have since bought a home, but hate land life and are getting ready to buy another boat next month. Marley passed away and we have a new Quaker Parrot named Skipper, the little parrotlet named Ziggy and a parakeet named Ki-Ki that I rescued during hurricane Wilma.
We all plan on cruising again soon and may sell the house for good.....captjo
Captjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 09:00   #22

Boat: 32' Challenger - Feelin' Nauti
On another note...clean bird cages every day..make for happy sailors and birdies...captjo
Captjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2009, 12:06   #23

Boat: 48' Hi Star
Hi CaptJo
What areas did you cruise in? Were your birds microchipped or did you have any other paperwork for them?

Cheers!