Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2009, 12:56   #16

Boat: CT54
Thank you for all the encouragement/advise...it really is appreciated.
When I was 18 the last thing I would want to do is spend any amount of time with my parents in a small space but alas my daughter is a different kind of kid than I was and I like to think we are alot cooler parents than my parents were .
In two weeks my daughter graduates high school and becomes a full time crew member with all that goes along with that. I think my husband is relieved to have someone else to count on and I am happy she is coming along since I was having ALOT of anxiety at the thought of leaving her on her own.
I was concerned that she would have a hard time without being able to socialize with kids (teens) her age but I seem more worried about it than she is. She has always been a very mature kid so hopefully she will be able interact and make friends with some of the older people out there cruising.
With our eye on leaving in October we are all looking forward to the adventure.
Best,
Jackie
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 13:17   #17

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiepitts View Post
Now I just need to keep her away from boys until we leave

Ha, That's why I want to get my 9yr old daughter offshore until she is 21 I figure I only have about 2 yrs left to do before she is at "that" age when I can no longer drag her onboard... tick tock...

cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2009, 13:41   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Thank you for all the encouragement/advise...it really is appreciated.
When I was 18 the last thing I would want to do is spend any amount of time with my parents in a small space but alas my daughter is a different kind of kid than I was and I like to think we are alot cooler parents than my parents were .
In two weeks my daughter graduates high school and becomes a full time crew member with all that goes along with that. I think my husband is relieved to have someone else to count on and I am happy she is coming along since I was having ALOT of anxiety at the thought of leaving her on her own.
I was concerned that she would have a hard time without being able to socialize with kids (teens) her age but I seem more worried about it than she is. She has always been a very mature kid so hopefully she will be able interact and make friends with some of the older people out there cruising.
With our eye on leaving in October we are all looking forward to the adventure.
Best,
Jackie
Quote:
As a mother of a 17 year old girl I say if you want to run around naked go ahead but don"t get offended when you get laughed at and made fun of (hell your naked body may even show up as a joke on a you tube video). Believe me you would provide great entertainment for most young adults (and maybe some old ones too).
It's all great fun the way I see it
From these two posts, Jackie, I agree: Your daughter has turned out great and you're cooler than your parents were! Have a wonderful voyage.

TaoJones
Old 25-05-2009, 20:58   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I teach college frosh during the fall quarter of each school year. Half of them have absolutely no idea what they hope to get out of college, and tend to view it as a four-year party with a $45,000 per year cover charge. This is especially true among "undecided" majors. In every class I teach there will be one or two students who took time off after high school for whatever reason. Almost invariably these students tend to take their studies more seriously. I'm guessing this is because they are far more likely to understand why they're attending college.
The Aussie and European concept of a gap year is absolutely awesome.

My neice is travelling around the world odd-jobbing. She is about spent on it and realizes what a "struggle" itis to work waitress, clerk and sales jobs to make a living.

She's just about ready to commit to university.

As a parent of a 12 y/o I cringe at sending the check to the college for an undecided kid. I'd rather take him sailing
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2009, 07:25   #20

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post

As a parent of a 12 y/o I cringe at sending the check to the college for an undecided kid. I'd rather take him sailing

Excellent point!
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2009, 00:11   #21

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
I left school at just 16, worked on the home farm for 15 months and then after the last major argument with my nasty stepdaddy, i moved out and never looked back. Ive done more education and exams since but I learned the hard way, early on, where money comes from, how much effort it takes to earn it and most of all, im a hands on practical person and can do anything from calve a cow to drive a cat.

Having maturity early on in life is a vital life skill that most teens dont have. A good work ethic and easy social skills are more valuable than school grades.

Well done Jackie, sounds like youve been the best kind of parent for your daughter not to want to leave home at the first chance.
Old 31-05-2009, 02:50   #22

Boat: Privilege 37
It seemed to us that the great majority of Cruisers were older folks. Of course there were the occassional kids, teens and younger adults. Younger girls might be the rarerist, next to new infants, of the cruising age group. I think, just like us, they tend to gravitate to one another more so than they would on shore because they are rarer and more cherished!

The harder part may be giving up things like constant texting and instant access. But, that is probably a GOOD thing!
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2009, 15:09   #23

Teen sailing

I think its awsome that your kids are invovled with sailing. I am a big sailour too and am 17. I have sailed for nearly 5 years now. I have made a a site specifically for teen sailours and you can check it out and tell your kids about it.
Teen Sailing - Home
I hope that people of a young age will see this and check it out!
By the way its all free. adults are also welcome to share their knowledge on the forums!
TheWindcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote