Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2011, 07:18   #1

Boat: Morgan Out Island 416
Cruising Families Heading South - Fall 2011

Hi all, we're a cruising family, 2 boys on board (12 and 15), looking for other families heading south this fall. We're currrently in the Chesapeake doing boat projects in Aug then hope to be cruising the eastern shore in Sep before heading south. We may return to the Bahamas on the way down the thorny path to the Caribbean, but definitely want to get to the Caribbean. We've spent several years cruising the Bahamas.

We would be interested in meeting other families heading south, either in the Bay now or later in the islands. It might be good to get a little email contact in advance. We know Osprey is here and heading south after the boat show - any others?

Dave on Liberty, with mom Nancy, and boys Chris (15) and Josh (12)
SV Liberty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:38   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 490
Send a message via Yahoo to rilie1
Re: Cruising Families Heading South - Fall 2011

Hiya,

We're not heading south this year, we're on the Chesapeake for a couple more years but, I was just wondering if you had any luck finding other families..? We have a son 8 and daughter 11, they find kids in every marina but we have done limited long distance cruising.

Thanks,

Tyson
rilie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:35   #3

Not much luck so far. No replies (or PMs) to this post. We are docked near a cruising family (temporarily on land) we met a couple of years ago in the Bahamas, but what I really want to do is figure out in advance if possible a few boats heading south in the fall. I'm sure they're out there. We don't tend to tie up in marinas, and when we do its not for long so hard to meet kids that way.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 11-08-2011, 13:28   #4

Boat: St Francis 44 MkII

Hi Liberty,

We are a family of 4 with 2 boys also (ages 11, 7). We are currently in Rhode Island until mid-late October and then planning to head south; first stop, Bahamas and then - not sure yet - but we do want to make it to Central America. We should have sort-of-a-plan in a month or 2.

Catherine, Bill, Cole (11) and Cooper (7)
s/v Tribe
crewofnoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 13:37   #5

Boat: Lagoon 410

Hi Liberty,

We are a brand new sailing family (moving aboard in two weeks). We are a family of four (kids a bit younger, ages 3.5 and 6) but we will be in Florida until Nov and then heading to Bahamas and finally South through the Caribbean, finally ending in Panama before returning to our "real jobs" for a bit next summer. Hopefully we'll see you. Check out: www.kids4sail.org they do a nice job, have blogs posted, and the location of several kid boats.

Cheers,

Lindsey, Brad, Ella (6) and Chase (3.5)
s/v Rivers2Seas
Rivers2Seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 14:33   #6

Boat: Mason 43

Hiya,

Thanks Rivers2Seas for the kids4sail link... what a cool idea.

I took my two now college age kids cruising when they were 8 and 10 and we met a number of boats in the Bahamas with kids, fewer in the Caribbean. It was tougher in bluewater locales. Boats with kids are more inclined to make plans for rendeavous along the way, so it is easier on the kids.

I am prepping my 6 and 4yo for departure in approx. 3 years. Yep, doing it AGAIN!

Best,
Helen, Brooke (6) and Danika (4)
HopeFloats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:36   #7

Wow! HopeFloats, good for you. you should go now though and meet us somewhere!
Rivers2Seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 19:10   #8

Thanks much for the kids4sail link. When I looked at the site, I showed it to both kids, and they immediately got it (I didn't), and said something about not being for sail. A few seconds later, it clicked - kids for sale - I couldnt stop laughing.

I couldn't browse it then, but will now and will sign up. We'll also pass the word to other cruising families.

Dave
Old 15-08-2011, 14:14   #9

Dave,
We'll be leaving Cape Cod the first week of Sept taking our time enroute to the Bahamas. Probably (hopefully?) we'll be past the bay by Oct, probably to spend some time in Beaufort NC waiting till Nov to cross over from Lake Worth or Lauderdale.
The kids4sail site is cool, but I suspect people don't update their location that frequently.
NeverforGranted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 15:46   #10

Boat: Leopard 47

We're leaving Charleston SC with a 13 year old girl in early October, heading through Bahamas to Caribbean. Sent PM to Liberty, but would love to hear from any others heading our way
hawaiisun2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 16:00   #11

Hey there,
We just set out from Cape Cod, we are currently in Long Island Sound, and plan to make it to the Bahamas for the winter. We have a 9yr old boy and 2yr old girl. Because of Insurance we aren't suppose to be below Cumberland Is, GA before 11/15, so we will be taking our time. But hope to be to Hilton Head by the last weekend in October to meet family. I will be updating our blog and our symbol on Kids4Sail. So if we get near you, keep in touch.

neverforgranted-neverforgranted.blogspot
NeverforGranted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 00:39   #12

Boat: Samson C mist 31, Island Spirit 35, Young Sun 35, Island Spirit 37, Wharram Tangaroa, Edel 35, Edel

Hi Dave Nancy Chris and Josh
We are heading to our boat in Fort Lauderdale in November and hoping to head to the keys/Bahamas and onwards.
Our boat is called Windflower.
Joseph our son is 13 and a keen diver sailor surfer.
email address is hydelotter*at*yahoo*dot*co*dot*uk Send me an email and I will call you.
I am flying in from Australia on the 18 November and the family a couple weeks later.
Regards Hyde
hydelotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 15:53   #13

Boat: Leopard 47

Hi All, Just checking in - we've been in daytona area for a week (doing the disney thing), but hopefully heading to Fort Lauderdale middle of next week when the weather may give us a break. Crossing to bahamas as soon as possible. 13 year old girl getting pretty bored with sitting around and no friends yet.
hawaiisun2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 17:10   #14

Hi all, Liberty here. Finally left Annapolis, heading south, with an overnight to the Hampton area. We are anchored on the Poquosin river where we'll spend a few days taking in early american history at Jamestown, Yorktown, Williamsburg, then head for beaufort NC and wait for weather to sail to the bahamas.

Hyde, thanks for the shout and I'll email you.

Dave
Old 07-11-2011, 17:18   #15
Marine Service Provider

we are a 47 ft cat.In beaufort nc . 3 kids. we are heading south to be in BVI's for xmas.Want to sail the thornless path south
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising