Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 09:25   #1

Boat: Lagoon PowerCat 43'
Question Cruising Down the Chain With a Dog

We currently have what is necessary for entry to the BVI. We are living in St. Thomas at the moment. However, we are planning on traveling down the chain.
What do we do for each island/country as we go. Do we need paperwork from a vet at each last port of call and then pre-entry paperwork from the new country?
How do we travel to St. Martin/St Maarten, Anguilla, St. Barths, Saba, Nevis, and down the chain to Grenada and Trinidad visiting all the islands along the way.

Are we in for a big project each time we want to head to a new destination?

Any advise would be appreciated. Dog has 2 rabies shots, Titer test, and all other necessary shots. All documented.

Thanks
Carolyn
M/Y Cattitude
Cattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 21:56   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
noonsite. they have all the info. you need to look up info for each country you will visit.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 22:14   #3

Boat: Islander 36
I was all ready for an anchoring technic thread.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:52   #4

Boat: SV Irie: Foutaine Pagot Tobago (35')
Hello Carolyn,

It seems like you did the hardest work already: getting the right paperwork and shots to visit the BVI. Your dog also needs a microchip to go to the BVI (and other English speaking countries). Not sure whether he/she has that. Anyway, with all these preparations you are able to visit all the Eastern Caribbean islands except Barbados (dog has come by plane from the UK) and Trinidad (months of quarantine required; this is possible on your own boat, but dog is officially not supposed to leave your boat during this period).

For the French islands you don't need anything and don't even have to declare the dog. For the ex-British ones, the rules are slightly different and you will need a health certificate from the previously visited country. Information on Noon site is outdated and most information you find online is incorrect or outdated.

It would require a lot of research to figure everything out and a lot of time and space for me to get to it all in detail here. My best suggestion is that you pick up the free Caribbean Compass issues of coming November and December. I recently wrote an article about exactly what you are asking (after extensive research, time, frustration and hassle :-)) and that information, with contact info, requirements, tips and experiences will be published, spread over November and December 2010. The Caribbean Compass is distributed all over the islands. You might have read it before. It is also available online. (Caribbean Compass - Caribbean Yachting and Boating News Magazine)

I hope this helps. On short notice, you don't have to worry about anything. You're set for the BVI and St. Maarten/St. Martin has no check box for pets. Traveling down the chain is very possible with your dog, but a few preparations will have to happen.

Enjoy your cruise. I'm sure you four footed friend will!
Liesbet
SV Irie
It's Irie
Liesbet is offline   Reply With Quote