Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2003, 20:17   #1

Cruising Cats ?

Nobody cruising with cats ? I well understand how territorial they are but have had cats all my life ... they're much easier to live with than dogs, perhaps my own prejudice there ...

I have a 5 yr old tom atm that I'm not sure about, I'd like to think that he'll join me when I'm able to take off but think I'd be better off with a kitten or two, raised on the boat.

I plan to give him a shot at it soon & hope he likes it, I have no desire to give him up or wait out the 10 - 15 yrs that he can be expected to live.

Troubledour
Troubledour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2003, 06:06   #2

Location: Currently on our boat in Miami, then off to the Carribean
My husband and I have an 8 month old cat on our sailboat. We have lived aboard 2 years. A couple of things, she does get seasick, you can give cats Dramamine (call your vet for proper dosage). On litter boxes, yuck, we have trained ours to use the head, it works very well. You can buy a training seat at your local pet supply. Best of luck.
Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2003, 09:14   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Cruisin' Cats

I'd like to cruise /w a Fontain Pajot, Privelidge, or one of the S. African models.
Gord

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2003, 12:50   #4

Beth

Thanks, no problems with the kitten climbing the mast, going overboard after pretty fish & other toys & protein sources, etc ?

I doubt my current cat would make the switch to using the head but his box isn't really a problem. He's never failed to use it & I've scooped & stirred daily for as long as I can remember, it's just part of having cats to me. If/when it comes to raising another kitten or two I'll definitely try that though

I have been wondering where I might get a bag of TidyCat if I happen to be anchored off someplace remote. In a pinch oil dry will do (already tested & proven here), so I guess that's the option. I'm assuming that just about any marina, boat yard or chandlery in the world needs to keep a bit of oil dry around.

Gord

I don't quite get catamarans, but to each his own. Then again, a well appointed cat' with appropriate crew & cabins rented by the hour could neatly solve the question of cruising income.

Troubledour
Troubledour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2004, 13:37   #5

Send a message via AIM to cgegner
Pets

We have sailed with a cat for almost 10 years and she loves the boat. In fact when it comes time for us to leave on sunday evenings she will hide so she doesn't have to go home. I've never seen her have a problem with being sea sick or using the litter box. Cats are much easier then dogs to sail with even though we also sail with a dog occasionally. When we finally retire and start our cruising we will have at least one cat on board.
cgegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2004, 15:34   #6

tripod

I have a three legged cat who I am thinking of bringing aboard...other than the trouble finding a peg-leg to fit...hahah...she can't balance on a regular toilet let alone a marine head...she's more tan a little odd about doin' her business due to the missing rear leg and injuries related to it. where would be a good place to put a litter box??? obviously clumping litter won't do either damp+ clumping= !@#$? any experience out there WITH litter boxes. Her name is moxie cuz she's got so much.
Olympia, WA
capn_nik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 06:19   #7
mpk

If there is a problem with clumping litter aboard, we are in serious trouble. We will have 2 cats on our cat (ha Gord) and they are doubtfully going to learn any new tricks since they are 9 and 15. I hope they will be happy because if they aren't, they will definitely let us know. The whole litter thing is another story- what's a good spot? I am going to try and create a container around the litter to prevent tracking and spillage. I don't want the boat to have its own beach. The idea of a soaked outdoor carpet that some have suggested freaks me out! Who's got innovations and stories!?
mpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2004, 23:23   #8

Litter boxes

I read in a local cruising mag of a cruiser who had two stainless baking trays the first tray had holes drilled in it and was filled with small smooth pebbles and was sat in the non drilled tray with bit of disinfectant in the bottom. when the tray needed to be cleaned it was lowered over the side for a bit to clean.
Shane
troppoboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2004, 09:38   #9

Mr. Kitty has been onboard my last two boats. Sailing on the ketch, he did get seasick, poor guy. But not on the catamaran.

I keep a huge supply of clumping litter. "They" don't sell the stuff in the Bahamas, or just about anywhere else. Here in the US Virgins, there are "normal" grocery stores, with catfood and litter. In Bonaire, either thing is in iffy supply.

\Some friends on a catamaran came back from the Bahamas, and the wife said "There's NO catfood there!" Haha, she bought twelve hundred cans before they left on their extended cruise.

I DO NOT throw litter overboard to smother any critters living under the boat; coral or grass, and etc.

I have a covered litter box that's OK. I'd like to have a dedicated litter locker in the cockpit.

Nuff said.

Cheers,

Melissa
MelissaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2004, 10:32   #10
mpk

what's the best way to dispose of litter? We have 2 cats so double the trouble.
mpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2004, 13:08   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Well we have just started bringing our cat aboard. We were worried at first, as she is ten and didn't think she would take to kindly to the new environment. But we were wrong. She loves it. Infact, we have noticed a new found confidence she has never had before. We are not live aboard as of yet and so travel to and from the boat. That is the only part the cat struggles with. It's a 5 hr car trip on winding and hilly NZ roads. She has never become car or sea sick, but she struggles to settle in the car. Another interesting thing, is that we have also recently shifted into a different home. This one has a cat door and the cat has never used a cat door in her life. It was only a matter of weeks and she was using it. So it seems you can teach old cats new tricks. They seem to be very adaptable.
Wheels

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2004, 04:18   #12

Talking

I had a kitty on board for 5 years and I tried all sorts for her litter tray. By far the best turned out to cost nothing, weigh nothing and be totally hygienic for disposal in any waters. It also smelt nice!

What was this wonder litter? It was sacks and sacks of wood shavings from the carpenter's shop on shore. Try it. You will never go back to clumping litter or whatever.

Re seasickness. Only once in 5 years in a heavy swell. Otherwise, she was always queasy (or grumpy) the first day I set out from a long spell in harbour.

By far my worst problem with her was shedding hair!

I don't smoke but I carried cigarettes with me as barter for fish for her, since I turned out to be a pretty zero fish catcher myself!
catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2004, 06:24   #13

Talking

We love cats especially when they look like dogs. It gives our boat a real meaning to the term of "poop deck " We have a Beagle cat and a Spanial cat and they love the boat.
Tauras
tauras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 08:47   #14

pirate

Hi All, We haven't made it to full time liveaboard yet but I can't imagine going without my furry friend. Have you had any problems when you go to places (US or not) with having them. Is paperwork from your vet enough? Thanks!
Walt&Yvonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:45   #15

Boat: Privilege 37
Has anybody tried the electric kitty litter trays, after cat has done its business, the machine combs through the litter and solid bits are put into a holding tank, this stops a lot of the smells, and also reduces the amount of litter that is used. It also makes cleaning the tray very easy. My uncle had one of these in his flat in florida, so guess they must be available from there.
Talbot is offline   Reply With Quote