Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2017, 18:10   #1

Crazy Idea Several Families on a Big Boat

So I know that this was start a feces storm, but what if two or several families pooled their money and bought a really big boat to take our families on the adventure of their lives. Children all get schooled on board, scuba and snorkling and learning biology, history, science and the rest by living it, not sitting in a classroom. I am going to do it anyway, but children want to play and do things with other children. How about a 100 footer with enough staterooms for everyone?
mmedinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 19:09   #2

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Re: Crazy Idea Several Families on a Big Boat

You are a brave man!

If you can afford a hundred foot boat, you can afford crew and a ringmaster to settle any disputes that might arise.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, mmedinge.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:30   #4

You are either brave or crazy.

Personally, i don't think it would work.
Nicor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:31   #5

Boat: Boatless

Watch the movie 'White Squall' it might cure you of the idea.

White Squall (1996) - IMDb

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:30   #6

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicor View Post
You are either brave or crazy.

Personally, i don't think it would work.
I vote crazy.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:44   #7

Boat: Tartan 3000

Sounds like a 1960s Disney movie.

The boat will likely be easier to find than the families. Would be interested to know what boat names you are considering.
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:54   #8

Boat: Cheoy Lee OS 41 ketch

Sounds like a great adventure to me. Do it!
Live is full of people that are afraid of change or a challenge. I personally think that they are missing the point of life.
Make a GOOD plan and do it.
Racer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 08:56   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I remember reading about a community living arrangement from the Los Angeles area that did this. Boat went around the world if I recall correctly. Discussion of this was near the beginning of "Seraffyn's Oriental Adventure" by L&LPardey in the chapters discussing their Suez Canal transit.

For something like this the devil is in the details, mutually agreed rules and expectations. If there are conflicting expectations it won't work.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:14   #10

Boat: KP 46

100 feet is not very big for more than 2 families. I sailed an 80' around the world with just my wife.. seemed the right size for two people, but occasionally another couple aboard, they would have to be good friends if they were to stay more than a week.

Now if you could find an old schooner, around 120' or so, probably a lot more beamy and more fun for a group, two to three couples might work, but you would probably have a fairly high turnover of "couples". Still could be fun! they would have to put the money up front though.. can't toss em off in foreign ports.

You might be looking at this as a way to afford a bigger boat... Lots of problems... probably easier to get a small boat and just go and enjoy meeting people in other ports.

Well, this post probably did not help you much... but it gives you a few things to consider.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:15   #11

Boat: Scout 30

I'd go for one of the schooners up in Maine set up for charters. Similar to White Squall but without the sinking.

1983 Classic schooner Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
1900 George K. Phillips Chesapeake Ram Schooner Power Boat For Sale -
1930 Gloucester Fishing Schooner Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:21   #12

Boat: Nauticat 32

If one of you is richer than others, he should buy the boat and be the captain, and others should pay rent (as long as they want, and others want them, to be part of the adventure).
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:22   #13

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

In 1988 we bought the Unicorn of St Helier a 134' topsail schooner that had sunk and was in need of a complete rebuild. We moved our family of four kids 2x2 aboard and hired an international volunteer crew and set about making her seaworthy once again.

Over the next five years we sailed many thousands of miles between Trinidad in the winters and Newfoundland and the Great Lakes in the summer months. The ship made her own keep doing "Tallship" events up and down the Eastern Seaboard. Our kids received a great education from crew member/teachers and through an incredibly unique upbringing. Our lives (and ship) were
very much like that portrayed in the movie White Squall.

Families would join us for months at a time. It was better to have others contribute rather than to be part-owners.

In a manner, it was like raising our kids in a traveling circus but mostly it was an awesome experience.

A classic sailing ship as a vessel to fulfill your idea is a good way to go as many items are far less expensive like galvanized hardware over stainless etc. and if your vessel is unique enough, towns and cities will pay you large sums just to show up, so that they can wine and dine you and give you the key to their fair places.

Large classic sailing vessels are surprisingly inexpensive to purchase but feeding and maintaining a large boat and crew gets real pricey so you better have several revenue streams coming it at once and at all times. Cargo, paying passengers, and static display venues were enough to keep us going but it would really help to have a patreon or benefactor or really deep pockets.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:33   #14

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer86 View Post
Sounds like a great adventure to me. Do it!
Live is full of people that are afraid of change or a challenge. I personally think that they are missing the point of life..
Life is also full of people who think before they act.

There are lots of things that can go wrong with this plan. Lots of things. I don't know where to start.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:45   #15

Hmm, as soon as I read the post and replies, I was thinking.....This 'crazy' idea is probably less crazy than we should think. I like the idea of maybe three or four families getting together to do this. The movie 'White Squall'? Throw a bunch of misfit people together on an old fashioned sailing vessel? Not the best way to go for sure. A few ideas ( just noodling the idea here) come to mind. Buy a boat ( 100+ feet ?) that needs some work so that the crew ( everyone) finds a place in the strata to do what they are best suited for. It would also familiarize the would be crew with the vessel and each other. Having a few months before you set off will show you who is and is not suitable. ( its easy to talk about and adventure but thats why they call it ..an adventure) Set the crew hierarchy up as a corporation with the captain as second to the chairman. The chairman gets the final word on the logistics of where, who and how, while the captains is overall god of all things sailing. Obviously everyone on board ( including the chairman) would have to answer to the captain when it comes to the ship. The captain should also be a professional or at the very least someone with many years of experience. No room for less there. A secretary and treasurer and sgt of arms....etc. Break the corporation into voting shares with the adults. I would not let any one person or family control the venture based solely on the amount of money they contribute for obvious reasons. Pool equal amounts of money and buy stores and equipment from that, a monthly expense account for the maintenance, food, fuel ect. Personal items bought individually, so...a motorsailor as opposed to a pure sailing ship, for safety, ease and roominess. dual diesels, bow thruster of course, all the electronics with basic backups. ( send a crew to school for things like fire safety, first aid, navigation, basic maintenance, everyone gets a course on basic sailing), you would need things like at least two fridges, a couple big freezers, ACs ,multiple battery banks, a half dozen TVs and computer systems, three or four dinghys with motors, wheeweee, are we having fun yet? It definitly could be done, but you see the basic logistics and this is just scratching the surface. Keep in mind that you will be dealing with a dozen personalities, some will work, some will not, some will complain, some will help, then there are contracts and lawyers, accountants and bankers, insurances, mechanics and ....
Meacenas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat