Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-02-2008, 18:54   #16

Boat: 1967 Starcraft 16' - 1961 Mercury 70hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanani View Post
BTW, from my experience with experience with Cockatoos, I will just guess that you may not be very popular in the anchorages.
I think I know what you mean?

Noise Leval: Cockatoos are LOUD. In fact, they are arguably the loudest of the parrots. Cockatoos WILL scream - don't think you can train them out of it. Cockatoos love screaming and will scream for the sheer joy of screaming, usually in periods once or twice a day (usually morning and evening). The smaller cockatoos are quieter simply due to reduced size, but even a Goffin's is loud. And a Mollucan?!?! Watch out!

Old 11-02-2008, 19:00   #17

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Hey tyrntlzrdking, I bet that cute little bird crapped on that cute little girls head .
My sister had a Cockatoo that lived for 22 years.

Old 11-02-2008, 19:03   #18

MP, If you time it right, you can avoid having him crap on your head.
I dont like him being on my head. I would rather have him crap on my shoulder. Its all in the timing.
Old 11-02-2008, 19:43   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrntlzrdking View Post
Cockatoos WILL scream - don't think you can train them out of it. Cockatoos love screaming and will scream for the sheer joy of screaming, usually in periods once or twice a day (usually morning and evening). Watch out!
As I read the information I copied and posted from the internet about cockatoos, I now realize that my ex-wife must have been a cockatoo!
Old 12-02-2008, 16:13   #20

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983
Well, having two, yes at times they can be loud.. or LOUD... but, I for one, dont believe in letting them out of the the cages without keeping with wings clipped. And yes, you can teach them not to scream all the time. They will occasionally let loose a yell or two, but inside, not any louder than the flying rats outside... or what has to the be the worst, those electronic bird repellents... neighbor has one, and turns the volumn up, and i sit there watching the seagulls hop on the closes boat and watch it and call back... oh and ours dont even pay any attention to it...YMMY .
Old 20-02-2008, 11:48   #21

Hi all! This is my first post to this forum - I just want to thank you for all of your great information and experiences! My fiance and I are planning to circumnavigate, although our plans are still several years away. In the meantime, we enjoy weekend-sailing. We have a 9 year old Congo African Grey that loves riding in the car, but we haven't gotten him on the boat yet (last summer was our first season on the water). It gives me hope hearing from all of you that he will handle it pretty well. He is clipped, and my thought is to teach him how to use a harness and leash for those times that he is on deck or we take him on shore and I would transport him in a travel cage while in the dinghy. I would be devastated to lose him overboard.

What have you all used for your cages in the cabin? Where do you find is the best location for the cage for bird happiness and ease of cleaning, etc.? Do you have perches that move with the heel of the boat?

Thanks!
Sarah and Archemedies (CAG)
Old 20-02-2008, 17:00   #22

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trikona View Post
Hi all! This is my first post to this forum - I just want to thank you for all of your great information and experiences! My fiance and I are planning to circumnavigate, although our plans are still several years away. In the meantime, we enjoy weekend-sailing. We have a 9 year old Congo African Grey that loves riding in the car, but we haven't gotten him on the boat yet (last summer was our first season on the water). It gives me hope hearing from all of you that he will handle it pretty well. He is clipped, and my thought is to teach him how to use a harness and leash for those times that he is on deck or we take him on shore and I would transport him in a travel cage while in the dinghy. I would be devastated to lose him overboard.

What have you all used for your cages in the cabin? Where do you find is the best location for the cage for bird happiness and ease of cleaning, etc.? Do you have perches that move with the heel of the boat?

Thanks!
Sarah and Archemedies (CAG)
Birds love the movement of the boat. Just think of wind in the trees.

Heel doesn't matter, neither does cage placement.

Don't be too concerned about him falling over-board. Our Lori has done it several times, just by getting too rambunctious. It was terrifying the 1st time it happened, I even jumped in after him. Once I knew that he could "Swim" (after a fashion), I was less concerned and let him swim back to the boat and plucked his scrawny butt out of the drink. They float and can even propel themselves through the water pretty good.
Old 21-02-2008, 12:01   #23

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots
Just because your bird may thoroughly enjoy sailing, it doesn't mean that all counties will welcome them - including trying to bring them back to the US. Issues include restricted areas, extra sign in and out, possible confiscation, quarantines, veterinary hassles, and not being able to tie up to a dock.
There are people who avoid or seriously limit travel to pet hostile countries, some of which are not otherwise bad places (Australia, and New Zealand to name two more large ones).

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 02:06   #24

Glad I am not the only one planning on bringing the feathered family member along. My blue and gold macaw would never forgive me if I left her behind, hell she barley forgives me when I take off skiing for a weekend lol. We even found a boat with a aft bathroom to be refitted as the bird room for when we need to keep her confined.

-Wantokex
Old 06-04-2008, 02:26   #25

Boat: Endeavour CC 40' AbbyGale
We have been sailing with our Cockatoo, Abby, for 8 years now. We keep her wings clipped. She has her very own boat routine which has developed over the years.

Sun-up and she wants to walk the boom. One of her favorite morning hangouts is hanging out on the downhaul. She gives us a piercing scream when she sees a predatory bird in the area and makes best speed below decks.

Abby, like all Cockatoos, likes to 'call the flock' at sundown. She knows better, but sometimes just can't contain herself. We get her off the boom (her sundown spot) after the first scream, and then it's bed time for her. With the barking dogs in the marina, nobody has ever complained about Abby's occasional scream.

I have had the police called on me before. We stopped at a dock and went into dinner. Some folks saw us leave and then shortly afterwards could hear a baby crying down below. It was just the baby boat chicken making noises...

Chewing can be a problem, so we give her lots of interesting things to chew. I never throw old line away. I wrap it around stanchion hand holds and tie it tight. She loves to chew the line off. Years of working with her has rewarded us with a bird that know what she is allowed to chew, and what is off limits. (she still tries every now and then though)

She really hates bird sanctuaries. We got on the hook once in a sanctuary. There were a thousand seagulls screaming MINE MINE MINE continuously during daylight hours. Abby refused to come out of her cage. (very unusual)

She likes heavy weather sailing better than my wife and I. It doesn't seem to affect her at all.

All in all, she's a great sailing companion, fun at the marina, and a good guard bird alarm system. She is quite messy, as any Cockatoo owner will attest to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Venice.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	3206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Defender.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	3207  

Name:	Admiral Abby.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	3208  
Old 28-04-2009, 11:05   #26

Boat: Hunter 430 Legend
Lannen:

Thank you so much for sharing that picture and for all the info. We are in the process of buying our boat to liveaboard while outfitting it and you cleared a few concerns (as well as some of the others). Does your cockatoo ever gets "spook" while outside and takes off? If the wings are clipped, has it ever fallen in the water? Is there a way, other than a harness to teach them to stay on the boat? I imagine if they fall once and not drown they probably won't do it again, but is there a way to spare them the "experience" of a man overboard rescue (while at the marina or anchored)?

Thanks and thank you Trikona for referring me to this thread.
Old 11-01-2011, 20:18   #27

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983
Ok, as far as the harness goes, i can attest that while is a great idea, be prepared for a little bloodshed, and i dont mean the birds... Having tried several, i mean several times to put the harness on either of ours, you might want to start wayyyyy early, like before weaning... the younger one screams at the sight of one, and the other well,,, ran out of bandages the last time i tried...
Old 11-01-2011, 21:35   #28

Boat: Westsail 32
What a fun thread !!! Having had a Sulphur Crested and and an African Grey, I can vouch for the talkativeness of both and the loudness of the Sulphur Crested, especially at daybreak, around 5 AM. Neighbours LOVE the 5-AM 30-minute screech, whilest the bird is hanging upside down by one foot.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:14   #29

If i ask them to be quiet they normally oblige
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	449.5 KB
ID:	22756  
Old 14-01-2011, 08:49   #30

Boat: 32' Challenger - Feelin' Nauti
Hi all,

I have three birds and they have cruised with us for 16 years. No worries, they loved it!
They are smaller, parrotlett, budgie and Quaker parrot.

They are getting ready to start another cruise this fall after we get through refitting our boat.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: