Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 14:28   #1

Children and Sharks

First of all... think I´m a Mediterranean sailor... where you will never find shaks along the beaches.

Thinking about sailing the Bahamas with childrens ( aged 5 and 1) , and after I saw a few pics of small kind of sharks in shallow waters, I started thinking more seriously on this (yes.. yes...I told you... we are not used to this here.. he he !)... As an adult I may understand that small sharks can be afraid of me ( even more if they see my face) .. but what could be the expected attitude of this lovely fish in front of a thin lady aged 5... ???
Old 08-04-2010, 14:41   #2
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
depending on the size of the shark I expect it would be thinking "one delicious bite, or two...?"

ok, ok that was the smarty pants response.

The real response is it depends. on the type of shark, the child's response to seeing the shark and then the random chance factor, because you never know.

But having said all that I spent 4 years in Panama and never heard of a child or adult being et by sharks. And I saw plenty while diving.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 14:48   #3

Boat: 1995 hunter 430
I would suggest you check out a video called SHARKWATER it is very informative in many aspects, and it may help you relax and enjoy the water
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 15:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
d
The real response is it depends. on the type of shark, the child's response to seeing the shark and then the random chance factor, because you never know.

But having said all that I spent 4 years in Panama and never heard of a child or adult being et by sharks. And I saw plenty while diving.
Well.... note reaction can be as expected.. when you see something you have never seen in your life but, you have heard about as something dangerous... ( even me, as I can still remember spielberg film called "Jaws"...). I have been in many places, and some whre dangerous... but sharks (for sailors) as formerly the wolf (on grnd), both belong to the "printed in our mind" worst tales told by our ancestors... as I know living with them makes you realize that they are not as terrible as told...
But ... I repeat... we are not used to see them...

Many new things to study for this adventure: learn how to identify them ... read more... and more and more understanding of their nature... will see the film Thanks !!
Old 08-04-2010, 15:18   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Cruising hazards...

I don't have any knowledge of shark avoidance in the Bahamas, but I'd like to offer a few suggestions from my own experience.

Well fed sharks in clear tropical waters don't normally present much danger. Precautions such as proper supervision, not swimming in muddy water, where there is blood in the water (from spearfishing) and not splashing wildly (like an injured fish) could help to reduce the risk. A search on the web could return many more suggestions.

I don't recall any report that suggests that children cruising would encounter any danger greater than most other active lifestyles. Other members may have more information on this.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 15:51   #6
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I ran a dive boat/operation out of Palm Beach and did many charters in the Bahamas, I’ve been in the water with some very big bad sharks, 15+ ft tigers, hammer heads and bulls, along with reef sharks, never had any problum except for a brown spot in my britches _ I personally would be very careful with a 5 year old, I would stay very close if I was snorkeling the reefs with them, there have been people just go missing wile diving /swimming in relative shallow water, over the years with out a trace, I know this as fact-not rumor so anything is possible- you don’t hear much about it because its rare and they want to keep it quiet-
Im going to be in the Bahamas next year with my grand kids age 8-10 and were going snorkeling, but I will be careful with them and keep them close
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 16:23   #7

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Sharks can't hurt you , they are not poisonous.

dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 16:30   #8
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
understood that the response could be pretty instinctive, but you can work with your child to think about seeing sharks, showing them video of cool sharks, not scary sharks, and then practicing shark drills;

stand still. lift your face from the water and call "DADDY I think I saw a shark". slowly move to shore, the boat, raft whatever. do not thrash squeal, shreik. Then when/if they do spot a shark they will have an override for the fearful instinct and know what to do. somewhat like fire drills. fires are still scary but we all know to follow the teacher out the door and down the hall.

and the good news is like most things you prepare for, the odds of it happening are very low!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 16:35   #9

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

nom nom nom

Nothing to do with children, but funny anyway
http://www.27bslash6.com/grubby.html
Old 08-04-2010, 18:50   #10
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I snorkel with my Grand kids when im in Fl and the boy stays so close he sometimes gets on my back if hes scared, the girl is not afraid of anything...yet
Old 09-04-2010, 02:43   #11

Boat: Beneteau 393
We have a lot of Noah's in Australia.

The people that get et are generally cold water abalone divers and the odd surfer - apparently the sharks mistake the board for a seal.

Your kids are at a far greater risk of crossing the road...

A small shark would be like being bitten by a dog. It will scar but you wont lose a limb :-)

Simon
Kordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 03:56   #12
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kordie View Post
We have a lot of Noah's in Australia.

The people that get et are generally cold water abalone divers and the odd surfer - apparently the sharks mistake the board for a seal.

Your kids are at a far greater risk of crossing the road...

A small shark would be like being bitten by a dog. It will scar but you wont lose a limb :-)

Simon
A small shark to me is still 5-6 feet long, and I beleave one that size could take a arm off a 5 year old,! But I agree its much more likly you get hit crossing the road ! I have been able to handle sharks in the water fine or should I say i have been able to handle myself in the water fine with the sharks, I would not feel good with my grand kids in the water to handle if there were a lot of them in the water with us- so if any more than 1-2 show up its time to get out.. for now
Old 09-04-2010, 04:47   #13

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
I believe you AND your children are at a much greater risk from barracuda, if you wear anything shiny on your bathing suits or body. No, I am not kidding...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:08   #14
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benares View Post
childrens ( aged 5 and 1)
look.... I know everyone says in the Pacific white tipped reef sharks are not dangerous, as well as black tips, or grey... but I always get a bit wary.. sharks is sharks! I don't go and pat them!

What would a one year olds leg look to even a small shark? The leg is smaller than a tidler tuna...

I would go with Rams comments to keep close to the kids on the reefs. Agree also with the shiny bits on cossies. Why look like a lure?

Also I wish boats would stop throwning food into the anchorage where they intend to swim! Or motor boats shining lights into the water at night. It just attracts preditor fish/sharks.

mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 14:05   #15

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
There have been 26 shark attacks in the Bahamas since... 1749. And one fatality.
Map of the Bahamas' and the Antilles' Confirmed Unprovoked Shark Attacks
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children