Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2015, 10:47   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 55
Chartering in St. Martin with a one and 4 year old.

We will be chartering a Leopard 44 for 10 days out of St. Martin with our sons, who at the time of charter will be 4.5 and almost 2. They sail with us on a weekly basis but we have never had an over night on the boat. I'm thinking it may be wise to expose them to sleep overs on our own boat prior to the charter. More importantly, is there some kind of life line that can be used for the 2 year old. Of course my intention is to never take my eyes off of him, but realistically I'd like some sort of "safety net" just in case. I don't suppose you can get the safety netting on charter boats, but I haven't asked yet.. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Mkronquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:01   #2

Re: Chartering in St. Martin with a one and 4 year old.

I think having a tether whenever on deck/cockpit is a great idea. Maybe just get a comfortable lifejacket with a tether attachment.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:09   #3

Thanks! I probably asked the question prematurely - I just did a simple Google search and found a kids harness at West Marine. Nonetheless, I am sure there are plenty of people out there who have learned what works best through experience. Hopefully I'll be one of those people soon
Old 12-03-2015, 04:27   #4

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

FWIW, a word of caution.

I've cruised with very young children and witnessed others bareboating with them, and the experiences sometimes weren't pleasant.

Kids who aren't used to being on boats for long periods of time tend to hate being restrained. Very young ones don't understand why. I've witnessed parents continuing telling their kids what they can't do. As a result, the vacation wasn't any fun for the parents or the kids.

It depends on the kids, of course, but I would think it would be a more enjoyable experience when they are a bit older.

Some of my best experiences on boats have been with kids, but when they were very young, renting a beach house where they could run around was less stressful for all.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:40   #5
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40

I took my son out sailing in Georgian Bay for two weeks on a 25 foot folkboat when he was three and he had a great time. On a Lagoon 440, space should not be a problem. Furthermore, none of the passages they have planned are very long. I'm sure they will have a great time.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 07:51   #6

Boat: CS36T

Just got back from chartering in St.Martin last week. Great trip, nice bays, super food and wine on the French side. Winds were 20 to 30 knots and waves were 10 ft. Anchorages were well protected. Getting out of Oyster Pond is challenging, but not as bad as it looks. Try to get to St Barth. Check out pictures of the Heineken Regatta which was last week on line.
Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:21   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Some charter companies do provide netting.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:34   #8

Boat: Brewer ketch 44'

Cruising with kids can be a challenge, but so can adults. It also can be a blast and a life changing experience. You must read the Windtraveler blogs. Brit and Scott are in the BVIs living on their sailboat with THREE children under 3, including two one year old twins. Brit writes very well and honestly. I am sure the blogs and they will be most informative, even for short term cruisers. WindTraveler.com: The Leading Wind Traveler Site on the Net
elschwieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:41   #9

Hi...I don't mean to hijack this thread at all, but I would be curious as to your experiences after the charter, and whether you would do it again with children that age. We have a soon-to-be one year-old that we would love to take to the Caribbean, but are waiting until she is older...we are tentatively planning on when she is three...I would be curious as to how your charter worked out, what your thoughts are on a three-year old (Should we wait), as well as any others who have chartered with a small child. She has been day sailing with us since she was 7 months, and will certainly have overnight and long weekend sailing experience prior to the charter trip. We are very eager to go back, so we are hoping three is old enough...I am also curious about the availability of lifeline netting from Charter companies...I will be adding that to our boat in the next few weeks...

Best of Luck!
Sailinnole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 15:38   #10

I've been sailing for many years with young kids, and more recently young grandkids. I have been very comfortable with a tether attached to the wheel pulpit and to the child's life jacket. The tether is long enough to reach into the cabin, and the rule is you must hook up before climbing out of the cabin.

This process leads to complications: with three hyper-active grandkids, it gets tangled as it would walking three active dogs on leashes. But the tangle is part of the fun, and kids work it out.

But I would not be daunted. Have fun, enjoy St. Martin (and try hard to get to St. Barths), and the kids will have a blast. If they get frustrated, make a game out of it.

Barkle Snarkle
Barkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 13:44   #11
Boating writer, book author

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Various

Safety issues aside, are you sure the charter company allows little ones on board? Check to be sure.
Old 15-03-2015, 14:42   #12
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanetGroene View Post
Safety issues aside, are you sure the charter company allows little ones on board? Check to be sure.
Yes, of course they do. TUI as in Moorings Sunsail and Footloose have a strong children/family policy. It would be hard to see any competitors not doing similar.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 07:04   #13

Yes, of course we discussed with the charter company that we will be bringing our children. The question in my post wasn't really whether we should take our children with us or not - that has been decided. I was just hoping to hear from those who have cruised with children and might have some tips that I wouldn't think of until we were already under sail.

Thanks Barkle snarlke. We are absolutely going to St. Barths!

Sailinnole - Our trip isn't until the end of October, but I will be happy to share my experience with you.

elschwieb - I have the windtraveler blog bookmarked. I've enjoyed reading it so far.
Old 16-03-2015, 07:16   #14

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkronquist View Post
We will be chartering a Leopard 44 for 10 days out of St. Martin with our sons, who at the time of charter will be 4.5 and almost 2. They sail with us on a weekly basis but we have never had an over night on the boat. I'm thinking it may be wise to expose them to sleep overs on our own boat prior to the charter. More importantly, is there some kind of life line that can be used for the 2 year old. Of course my intention is to never take my eyes off of him, but realistically I'd like some sort of "safety net" just in case. I don't suppose you can get the safety netting on charter boats, but I haven't asked yet.. Thanks in advance for any advice!
I don't know if this has been mentioned or not (didn't read the whole thread). I believe there are some gates on the 44 that you can put across the back of the cockpit. Several of the leopard boats, or maybe all of them, have them. They are attached to the underside of the lid of the bench that covers the batteries. If they are not there, they may be in the liferaft locker. There are some brackets they slide down into across the back of the cockpit. I think they are more for keeping following waves out of the cockpit, but they would help keep a 2 year old in check.. at least a bit.
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 07:23   #15

Thanks Privleoplag. That's good to know and exactly the kind of info I was hoping to get. We'll have to ask the charter company about that.

Tags
charter, St Martin