Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2014, 08:46   #136
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Cats in General

what bubba(also afraid of storms) does is finds a cave--if you can place your kitty on a tether and harness, have bitter end of tether for finding cat, loose and not attached to anything. do not tether to a collar, as that is strangulation for cats.
cat will seek deepest and darkest place in boat to hide form storms., cats like caves for these--is why there is no recorded strike of a cat by lightning. they HIDE, and they hide GOOOOOOD......
no cave=scareded kat, hard to console. they need safe places to be.
(in a cat's mind safe isnt always what we seek as safety for ourselves as humans)
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 16:55   #137

Boat: Sadler 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
what bubba(also afraid of storms) does is finds a cave--if you can place your kitty on a tether and harness, have bitter end of tether for finding cat, loose and not attached to anything. do not tether to a collar, as that is strangulation for cats.
cat will seek deepest and darkest place in boat to hide form storms., cats like caves for these--is why there is no recorded strike of a cat by lightning. they HIDE, and they hide GOOOOOOD......
no cave=scareded kat, hard to console. they need safe places to be.
(in a cat's mind safe isnt always what we seek as safety for ourselves as humans)

Our quarter berth runs under the cockpit and is like a dark cave. Once I had snuggled Mouse down with pillows, she calmed down a bit. Now she hides down there when ever a storm gets scary.

By the way, maybe you can help with this problem. Mouse has never been off the boat even in marinas (unless you count falling off) now, here in Labuan, there is a cat from another boat coming on board. Mouse doesn't chase it off or cry, she just lies really still and stares with big eyes and pulls her ears down flat. We've chased the strange cat away because it comes in and steals her food. Why wont she chase it away or defend her territory?
triciarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2014, 06:13   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by triciarob View Post
Our quarter berth runs under the cockpit and is like a dark cave. Once I had snuggled Mouse down with pillows, she calmed down a bit. Now she hides down there when ever a storm gets scary.

By the way, maybe you can help with this problem. Mouse has never been off the boat even in marinas (unless you count falling off) now, here in Labuan, there is a cat from another boat coming on board. Mouse doesn't chase it off or cry, she just lies really still and stares with big eyes and pulls her ears down flat. We've chased the strange cat away because it comes in and steals her food. Why wont she chase it away or defend her territory?

that is a good question. might be because you protect her from everything she feels you should fight the intruder off...
try a good shot with the hose on power wash. no ton your cat but on the intruder--it worked in la cruz when i had a female cat intrude into bubbas territory. he protcted his home, but the girl was very aggressive against him. i got her goood with hose, she tumbled overboard and did not return to our boat. (she got out of the water just fine and made it home soaking dripping wet.) she didnt realize i made the water happen, and was able to accept me petting her afterwords, AWAY from my boat.... WIN/GOAL...(oops not spozed to be a meanie, but for my bubba, i will).....
Old 31-10-2014, 14:30   #139

SmartMove and others with cats aboard - thanks for replies to my query. Amelia is doing okay with this sailing though I expect she hates us and is bored. Today was particularly stressful as we exited a harbor to really choppy seas. We turned and came back into harbor to wait out a nor'easter.
Generally, Amelia sleeps through out passages.
NancGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 11:58   #140

Boat: 1983 Freedom 39 Deck Salon

We sail with two kitties. Squishy, a 15 year old calico and Maui Boy, 4 year old Orange tabby. Both started living aboard while we worked on her then graduated to sailing the Columbia River before the open waters into California.

They adapted fairly well and slowly. They don't like the motoring but do OK. Flower Remedies are easy to administer and useful for many things, anxiety, travel sickness, etc. Bach is most common but in recent years many pet specific brands have become available. A few drops in their water or dripped or petted onto their fur will do wonders and truly NO harm if not needed. I even put a senior/arthritic blend in their water cause the old girl hates the drip or pet on method. Amazon has many and natural pet stores have some.

Were not able to find sisal that hadn't been soaked in petroleum for preservation so took a carpet and wrapped it around the mast. Hose clamped at top and bottom only so no claws can get caught in clamps. Maui loves his 6' stretch. Squishy prefers the sisal rug on the floor.

I found very cool water dishes that clamp onto cages or drill 1/4inch hole and clamp to cabinet. Twist locks in and out. Found in Safeways and Amazon.

My question to you all would be about customs. We will soon be continuing into Mexico and on. We get the rules and timing for well kitty checks and rabbies shots. This of course will work into Mexico but 2-6 months later do we have to repeat it all to enter Guatemala? Passing thru N4 and then Costa Rica will take much less time and just seems to add up to lots of drugs for our babies. They don't leave the boat unless we have to find vets in each location. Anybody know if exceptions can be made or how to go about them? Thanks.
monroe0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2014, 04:33   #141

"My question to you all would be about customs. We will soon be continuing into Mexico and on. We get the rules and timing for well kitty checks and rabbies shots. This of course will work into Mexico but 2-6 months later do we have to repeat it all to enter Guatemala? Passing thru N4 and then Costa Rica will take much less time and just seems to add up to lots of drugs for our babies. They don't leave the boat unless we have to find vets in each location. Anybody know if exceptions can be made or how to go about them? Thanks."

there are veterinarians in mexico so you can do last minuet titers and such in mexico. la jungla in mazatlan is awesome, dr rafael... and dunia in la cruz is good--she will chip and examine gatos for travel...
i got bubba the 3 yr rabies vaccine before leaving san diego, and need to re-titer him soon. there is also a vet in barra de navidad who seems competent.

in chiapas for check in and check out they inspect boat using dogs. i would check out in huatulco/puerto angel, as it may be less traumatic for gato than being buttsniffed by goggies in his own home... bubba doesnt like that activity nor does he like other critters in his boat.
Old 20-11-2014, 09:06   #142

Boat: 1983 Freedom 39 Deck Salon

Thanks Zeehag. Glad to know titres work. That saves some of the additional vaccines. Vet ideas are always appreciated. We are in San Pedro now and will be getting our engine replaced before heading down to San Diego. While there we will get the updated shots and pet health certificate to fit within the 72 hour window. Recommendation for a vet?

Will avoid Chiapas at all costs! My fur babies would agree with Bubba. No other animals and especially not goggies allowed.

Thanks!
monroe0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2014, 09:46   #143

my vet is in an open mall area near rosecrans and midway in san diego

she is good. she did all bubbas exit work and shots etc..if i could remember her name, i would pass it on--i only know the area, not even address...
she is in the parking area with the ony petsmart on sports arena drive? vs midway? drive.... there is only one. she is there , diagonally across from petsmart. petco is too far, turn back and look. she is worth it. petsmart is listed in directories, and she is diagonally across from that petsmart in the offices.

as the vet cert is primarily for return to usa, is probably ok to go to mazatlan to la jungla, see dr rafael, say i sent you, and be ok.
Old 28-11-2014, 22:48   #144

Boat: Sadler 25

Thanks for the advice Zeehag, you are my go to guru for all things cat

I tried your squirty idea and it worked a treat, only problem is one cat belonged to another boaty and they kindly brought me a squirty bottle of water to use on their cat, but we've also had some ginormous stray coming on board. The squirty bottle worked a treat there as well.

We left Mouse alone for 2 nights and almost 3 days. Because of these other cats, we hauled the boat off the pontoon by about 6ft. This meant that I couldn't ask anyone to go aboard and feed her, but I left her enough food for three days and plenty of water. I did ask a couple of people to keep an eye on her and wander down the pontoon to chat to her which, bless them, they did. When we got back she was so pleased to see us, but she has decided that I am mean bitch and Rob is her favorite person. Now, after ten days of ignoring me, she is coming up to me for cuddles early in the morning. I think I am forgiven.
triciarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 05:44   #145

triciarob... cat thought ye abandoned her. they take that personally.
first ever time i left bubba on board and i went away sailing, he ripped my arm goood when i returned.. ignored me for 2 weeks after making me bleed. hasnt let me out of his sight since.....after i saved his life, even worse- he is my "goggie" now-- shadow is his dream name, i think, as bubba shadows me everywhere. when i go to town, he sits on coachhouse roof and waits. and waits . and waits.
gives me a fair tongue lashing when i return with foods--will inspect to see if anything good in there--like F I S H ....and iff there is fish, he knows it is for HIM..lol even if it is for me.....(so much for my dinner)

i keep boat 2-3 feet off dock so bubba doesnt think it is ok to go off.... and his no bitter end leash--h edrags it allover boat without tying knots. when i am home, he ties knots in it... funny boy
Old 29-11-2014, 09:35   #146

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

My girlfriend will be moving on board my boat with my in February along with her cat, who loves being an outside cat and lounging all day in the backyard. I hope the transition goes well as she will obviously have less freedom. I also have a dog on board but he shouldn't bother the cat at all, he's getting old and just likes to lay down. I already have a great spot picked out for the cats litter box and food and water- the forward head shower stall in the bow of the boat, where the dog never goes. The only issue im trying to solve is having somewhere the cat can lounge inside and look out a porthole. The boat only has side portholes that are high up in the cabin, and none that look out toward the waterline. I'm thinking about trying to create some sort of hanging perch that would let the cat lay directly next to one of the portholes so she could look out. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2014, 09:59   #147

making a cat perch for porthole peering is sooo coool.you rock.. do it..my cat loves portholes.. i am considering the option of an elevated cat habitat....
Old 29-11-2014, 10:28   #148

Thats what im thinking. If the cat and dog have to be left alone in the cabin, i want somewhere high the cat can go to feel safe. Ive got a ton of leftover netting from the lifeline project- maybe a hanging hammock or something inside with a padded bottom? I could hang this near a porthole and even use it for gear storage when the cat isnt using it maybe. I guess i just have to wait and see what she likes to do when she gets on board. Im excited

Old 29-11-2014, 11:50   #149

i love the idea of elevated cat lounges and habitat and run and ledges for porthole viewing by gato. is a sound idea and cat friendly. also work into the habitat idea a good place for gato to sharpen claws so furniture is safe and so gato can show you how gooooood he / she is by clawing only in the area you made ... is important for cat to think this gift of scratching post is special. bubba shows me how good he is when he wants something. .....
Old 29-11-2014, 12:49   #150

Ideas? I have head of wrapping the mast with something... On my boat the mast is stepped in the forward pullman berth. I also have a vertical post in the galley but not sure if it is in a good spot for scratching. Will the cat know to go to this scratch area I make, or will I have to teach her? (Complete noob to cats here, been a dog owner my whole life)