Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2013, 17:52   #1

Canadian homeschool for cruisers

Hello all!
We are a young family with two boys currently in grades 4 and 5. We are trying to find an Canadian equivalent to the Calvert School, however with little success. We like the structure that it (Calvert) offers and would augment it with some self directed learning based on the boys current interests, etc. as we progress.
Are there any other Canadian cruising families out there who can comment on what has worked (or not) for elementary aged children?
svsoltura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 18:16   #2

Re: Canadian homeschool for cruisers

My kids are younger and I'm not Canadian, but for whatever it's worth:

I've had good luck getting the standards for California and then using that as a yardstick (or meter stick) for building a curriculum based around BrainQuest and other publishers. My daughter is only three but she's excelling in math and rather normal in her reading, so having a few different books to choose from and having them be at different levels has helped to keep pace with her.

It looks like by grade 4 or 5 though then it goes from being "Grade 3 workbooks" into specific subject work books (pre-algebra, basic physics, histories of particular regions, etc).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 18:20   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I googled "homeschooling in canada" and got lots of hits. Looks like all kinds of information available for the different provinces. Haven't read them, just passing this on to you. Good luck.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 18:35   #4

Unfortunately the Ontario Ministry of Education is not exactly forthcoming when it comes to cooperating with "home schoolers". Furthermore, the sources that are available are more geared towards secondary school. The provinces are individually responsible for education and it would seem that British Columbia is one of the few that make alternative education options available, but alas we are not BC residents and as such not eligible!
Old 21-11-2013, 18:42   #5

Boat: Ct 37
Hi
I'm Canadian and grew up in Mexico and used the Canadian equivalent to Calvert I believe it was called SIDES. The system was similar just not as well laid out but very flexible. I did the Calvert system for two years and with a bit of paper work canada recognized the system and accepted the grades. I hope this info will help you
Pato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 18:43   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I don't think you looked very carefully but I may be misunderstanding what it is you want. Ontario doesn't have a very strict policy at all.
Canadian Homeschool Laws: Ontario | Homeschool Canada
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 18:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pato View Post
Hi I'm Canadian and grew up in Mexico and used the Canadian equivalent to Calvert I believe it was called SIDES. The system was similar just not as well laid out but very flexible. I did the Calvert system for two years and with a bit of paper work canada recognized the system and accepted the grades. I hope this info will help you
That is helpful, I will look into it....thanks!
Old 21-11-2013, 19:04   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I don't think you looked very carefully but I may be misunderstanding what it is you want. Ontario doesn't have a very strict policy at all. Canadian Homeschool Laws: Ontario | Homeschool Canada
It is not really about "laws".....more about demeanour and overall attitude towards any alternative forms of education that don't include a state sanctioned classroom. In any event we have not received much useful guidance at the school level ( although a couple of the teachers think our plans are a great idea and are quite supportive).
Old 21-11-2013, 19:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pato View Post
Hi I'm Canadian and grew up in Mexico and used the Canadian equivalent to Calvert I believe it was called SIDES. The system was similar just not as well laid out but very flexible. I did the Calvert system for two years and with a bit of paper work canada recognized the system and accepted the grades. I hope this info will help you
Just checked out SIDES and it looks great. Unfortunately it is also in BC and because we are not residents we are not eligible to participate, or so we've been told. We're you a BC resident when you used them?
Old 21-11-2013, 19:35   #10

This is what I copied from the SIDES web site.....I really wish Ontario had a program like this!

So here it is:

Am I eligible to enroll?
A person is eligible to enroll in distance education courses provided the person:

is five years old by December 31st of the year of registration to enter their first year of school (kindergarten).
is a school-age student residing in British Columbia.
students must be Canadian citizens or landed immigrants.
may be a resident of British Columbia who is traveling or living outside British Columbia for two consecutive years and the student, parent, or legal guardian can show evidence they are "ordinarily resident" in BC. (Note: All students who register with SIDES must demonstrate "ordinarily resident" status by providing a current Driver's License, recent utility bill with name and address on the bill, or ownership/renter documentation indicating the parents' name(s) and home address.)
Old 21-11-2013, 22:12   #11

Boat: Ct 37
My grandparents were bc residents as my mom and I were in Mexico. I'm sure if you call them they could work something out or maybe They can recommend another system that will work for you. Best of luck
Pato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2013, 05:11   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsoltura View Post
That is helpful, I will look into it....thanks!
My wife has completed a high school teaching degree and we will simply follow the standard Ontario curriculum offshore (our son is 12 now and will be 14 when we leave). We will use SSB/Sail Mail and, when bandwidth permits, video linking to put him "in class", but realistically, my wife estimates he'll have two or so hours of fairly intensive study per day, given the teacher:student ratio is 2:1!

We are also considering a couple of longish (six months) stops in either England or New Zealand over our projected five-year trip. We would put our son in school for those layovers/haulouts.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote