Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-09-2017, 17:05   #16

Boat: Cavalier 45
Re: bringing my dogs cruising -- HELP

I can understand you love your dogs and that they are very much a part of your family, but don't bother cruising the Pacific with them. It's not just New Zealand but you won't even be able to take them ashore while in Fiji for example. Cat's are probably OK living full time on a boat without touching land but it is not fair on your dogs.
We circumnavigated the North Island of New Zealand last summer with our dog and during one 24hr period of high winds our dog struggled with the motion of the boat, she couldn't move around or go to the toilet without assistance. It bordered on animal cruelty. If you love your dogs don't take them with you, it's selfish on your part. Cruise after they pass away or give them to a good home.

Old 13-09-2017, 17:31   #17

Boat: Beneteau 49

We left USA in 2014 and cruised the S. Pacific with our two dogs. One passed away in Tahiti the first year. We are now back in USA with our second dog as we're selling our boat.

We love our dog and I would probably do it again but it has been VERY time consuming, difficult and VERY expensive. Every country, especially the more developed ones, require their own quarantine, vet tests, etc. New Zealand, Australia and New Caledonia require 10 days quarantine. Before you even think about arriving to a new country you have to contact them and fill out all the necessary paperwork and find out what they require. Most times you'll have to do vaccinations & tests at the country you currently are. That's not easy in under-developed countries.

Some smaller island countries allow you to keep the animals on board at all times and avoid quarantine. This can change depending on who you talk to. They'll also tell you that if they see your animal on land, they will euthanize it.

Also, it is difficult and expensive to fly the animals back home.

If you have a choice, do not cruise with animals. Your life will be MUCH easier.

This has been our experience. Good luck! Cruising is a great adventure and definitely worth doing!

Old 14-09-2017, 08:45   #18

Boat: Kelly Peterson 46

We are preparing to cruise with dogs and this thread contains great information. I've already done alot of research, and we have decided to cruise with pets. This is not something to be decided lightly. Here was our thought process:
A-Leave the pets with Family or friends. Not an option for us, however debatably the best option for the dog/pet. We are lucky that our animals have already experienced boating and small cruising and adjust. Notice the term adjust, and not enjoy for the passages.
B-Cruise in areas that are pet friendly. Much of the Americas are very achievable with proper planning. We are starting in Mexico which is very easy.
C-Be prepared to dictate your itinerary around your pet and be prepared for the expense.

There are lots of cruising with pets blogs, facebook groups and data out there. Do your research, good luck and have fun!

Brad
Old 14-09-2017, 10:04   #19

Boat: No boat right now

One summer I cruised for a month with my wonderful dog. I never saw the inside of a restaurant, and very few stores, since my dog was always with me. It was too hot to leave her on the boat. I became accustomed to always eating on patios, or getting take-out. In hindsight, I missed out on really seeing the towns we visited. I love dogs, but they have no place on a boat.
Old 14-09-2017, 11:18   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
One summer I cruised for a month with my wonderful dog. I never saw the inside of a restaurant, and very few stores, since my dog was always with me. It was too hot to leave her on the boat. I became accustomed to always eating on patios, or getting take-out. In hindsight, I missed out on really seeing the towns we visited. I love dogs, but they have no place on a boat.
I think this is the essence of cruising with a dog. It will change the entire nature of the cruise, will definitely limit your options and will to a great degree establish what you do and what you experience.

For me, I love animals but want no more pets.
Old 15-09-2017, 16:49   #21

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I think this is the essence of cruising with a dog. It will change the entire nature of the cruise, will definitely limit your options and will to a great degree establish what you do and what you experience.

For me, I love animals but want no more pets.
Completely agree. Which is why we'll cruise WITH the dog now, and once he passes, there will be no more dogs for us. Part of me can't imagine life without dogs. And then again, I really don't want to cruise with a dog....for both the dog AND us.
Old Yesterday, 04:32   #22

Boat: Oyster 435

Hi,

We just brought our Service Dog (german shepherd) to Turkey from the U.S. First it was a lengthy process with Titer tests (main requirement), Vet Exams, USDA Vet Exam 10 days prior to travel.

First we tortured her with 1 hr flight, 6 hr layover, then a 14 hour flight. Yes she behaved beautifully staying at our feet the entire trip. But I could tell she was not happy.

Upon arrival in Istanbul, we were prevented from taking a domestic flight and ended up renting a car to travel for another 7 hours by car.

While sailing and at the Marina, we contended with stray dogs and the like. Our dog walks perfectly at heel (off leash) regardless of other animals or cats. We kept her on a leash. However when there is an aggressive dog, she is in protection mode. There was an incident and the stray was hit by a car as it retreated.

She loves to sail and has her own lifejacket. So the sailing and being on the boat was absolutely great.

We are now in Izmir (as I write this), we can't take her out, there are just too many stray dogs. It has been challenging and not pleasant having to deal with this situation.

We made the decision on this trip to leave her behind with family when we make these sailing trips in the future. Not an easy decision considering she is a Medical Alert Dog and it is my health that is risked. But it means more personal monitoring.

The stress of traveling with the dog is much more than just the hoops you have to jump through from country to country.

My advice is to leave the animals with Family. I know it is hard.

Take care.

Tags
cruising, dogs

« A weasel onboard. | - »
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: