Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2008, 20:33   #31

Paul makes a great point. Fear is a something which really gets in the way of people doing things... anything and everything.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 21:02   #32

The Handbook for Non-Macho Sailors. Katy Burke

This is also good for anyone who wishes to use their batin rather brawn.

Also any of the books by Liza Copeland. A family's six year circumnavigation.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2008, 05:38   #33

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger
Well one has to set time aside for the mate to be sure that she is in for the adventure, its taken almost four years here but I've been patient. To start her off in 2005 we sailed out the St Lawrence river to PEI then on to Nova Scotia. Then took her to Newfoundland in 2007 where we are now, with all of these different ports and situations, its been this last 6 months that she has fianlly come to want to head off for distance shores. She tells me she doesn't what to spend another winter here wants some warm weather. I also want to say that the fun and excitement is not as good as when the other person is not in there with you. I was also prepared to fly her to the next destination if that would help her adjust, but now she is real keen for everything.
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 18:35   #34
cruiser

I cruised with two couples in New Zealand.They each had 30 footers.The guys spent years trying to teach their women how to sail. Then they put both women on one boat and followed behind in the other. The women figured out in minutes what their husbands hadn't been able to teach them in years, and loved it.
Zero pressure is the key to learning , and learning to love it.Captain Bligh syndrome is a demonstration of the Bligh's own incompetence, and his awareness of it.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 03:20   #35

Boat: Tashiba 40
You might have her check out my blog which I hope gives an accurate non-rose-colored view of life on the boat. It's just like every other lifestyle, ups and downs and good and bad. It's the goods that keep us hanging in there.
Old 18-01-2009, 05:23   #36

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
There are some good books recommended you might give her links to some of the trip logs, blogs, and websites found in the signature line of some members of the list as Mark suggested. Most of these are very well written and include good photos and information.
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 21:27   #37

Boat: Allied Luders 33
Empower her

Ronnie,
Enroll her in a sailing school, if that's within your budget, even if it's dinghy school. Once she understands sailing, she might be better disposed towards the idea. Take her backpacking. See if she can be self-sufficient. But if she takes make-up along... Take her for short sails. Put her behind the wheel and teach her to hold a line. Steering can help most people overcome seasickness. Don't let her go below. Keep her out in the fresh air where she can see the horizon. Get her involved in learning and preparing for all aspects of every overnight cruise. Make her an equal partner. Build her confidence. And if, after all that, she says it isn't for her, believe her. Crossing oceans is demanding and can stress the most solid relationship. An unwilling or unable partner can be dangerous.
Lady Circumnavi is offline   Reply With Quote