Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2013, 18:27   #16

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Boat size question??

FSMike's rule #1:
The ideal size cruising sailboat is 10' bigger than whatever you're on when the weather goes to hell.
FSMike's rule #2:
The ideal size cruising sailboat is 10' smaller than whatever you're on when it's time to haul out.

I wish somebody would invent an adjustable size cruising boat.
Old 17-07-2013, 18:50   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

first be able to sail whatever comes along.
sail everything so you know what is comfortable for you.
then buy what you like.
i like my formosa 41 ketch. it is easy enough to sail short or single handed.
it is heavy and comfortable. and her lines are knock out.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2013, 19:08   #18

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hello Mike! Wouldn't be nice to have a sailboat with room extensions like the ones you see in RV's? These expandable rooms would be fine if at anchor but not usable at a marina because of space constrictions. Weight distribution and balance would also need to be factored in; not easy to do.

Mauritz
Old 17-07-2013, 22:38   #19

For sure there are a lot of fees that are paid by the foot. But the real cost is the number of systems to be maintained.

In addition to stowage space I would look at tankage for fuel and water. It's kinda nice to motor along for a day if thre is no wind with ought worrying about running out of fuel
Whaubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 01:23   #20
cruiser

Go big, you won't regret it, you're going to need space to fit all your stuff for four people. Look at the Tayana 48 and 52, much better boats for what you have planned. And yes, you're going to need a good watermaker on board. Two more items you'll need unless you like camping, is a good generator and refrigeration (fridge and freezer). Don't underestimate the importance of these items if you plan on living aboard. Again, without refrigeration, a generator, a good watermaker and a shower.... it's going to feel more like camping. In a 40 ft boat without these items... it's really going to feel like camping. Look very closely at ventilation, or you're going to be way too hot. Forget about air conditioning if you plan to be on the hook most of the time ($2,500, you'll be on the hook), since you can only run it with the generator turned on. We only use our A/C if we happen to be at a berth and if someone else is paying the electric bill.... which is very rare.

FYI: Bigger boats don't cost more to service and they're not harder to handle. A water pump for a 40ft boat costs the same as a water pump for a 54 ft boat.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 01:38   #21

Boat: Gib sea 43

I'd go larger, yes the costs may be a little higher (and only a little) with your budget you wont be staying in marinas very often, so the little extra for haul outs/paint/berthing wont be much more over a 43 footer and the extra space/speed/safety (yes bigger is in general safer) will be appreciated.

Myself and my other half have just spent 18 months sailing the med/Caribbean , 2 Atlantic crossings in a 43 ft boat and yes it was enough for our needs , but when we do it all again, i think we will be in a larger boat.

One other main consideration is that when you start loading the boat up you can easily add 2-3 tons. which is a considerable percentage on a smaller boat.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 10:43   #22

Boat: Looking

Thanks again everyone for all of the info.

That’s funny Mauritz, there used to be some boats like that in Key West that I remember from when I lived there on Cow Key Channel ( floaters ) After almost 40 years in construction you would be surprised what I can do with a saws-all, nail-gun and lumber.

I am leaning towards the 50 because of more room. They both are owners version with 3 cabin 2 head. The big ticket items like sails and rigging are fairly new and low hours on generator and main engine. On the 50 there is room for a washer/dryer, more room for the children and home schooling, more room in the galley for the wife. More water and fuel tankage, a lot bigger refer/freezer. Room for some of my tools. I am mechanically inclined and will be doing the maintenance myself. More room for water sports stuff. These are all items that I have been thinking about for several months.
I would not be happy if I got the 43 wishing I would have got the 50 instead. If I did make the wrong choice I think it would be easier to downsize than to upsize. I’m not looking at this purchase as a stepping stone, this could be our home for the next ten years or more if the family is happy. I’m still a couple of months away from taking the plunge ( I have to finish building a couple homes ) so research will continue

Thanks Again
Mike
Udacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 10:50   #23

Boat: 40' Northstar 80/20
I'd look for something beamy over sheer length. Every foot of length costs $$$ but you get a lot more room out of a wide boat!
Old 18-07-2013, 11:02   #24

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbaftAndBaffled View Post
I'd look for something beamy over sheer length.
Catamaran!
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 11:03   #25

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Good luck to you, Mike! From my point of view, I would only get into a boat/plane that I can comfortably handle alone. The Twin Otter floatplane requires two pilots to fly it, but it has been flown with only one pilot at the controls; Air Moorea - Tahiti, has one pilot flying the Otter, most of the time. I have been on a 50 ft Gulfstar ketch; way too much for me to handle alone. Everyone likes the extra storage/roomy space, but safely handling the boat will always remain my top priority.

Mauritz
Old 18-07-2013, 13:45   #26

Boat: a sailing boat

Handling is less dependent on length, more dependent on displacement, hardware choice and deck layout.

Some newer 50' boats handle easier than some older 40' boats.

And I think you will not find the answer to 'which' by asking anybody but by sailing similar designs yourself and seeing how they fit your vision.

PS Remember that at any time your crew may not be there to help you trim, grind and reef: hence my advice to get a boat that can be single handed by the skipper or by the first mate (if there is a mate).

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 14:37   #27

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udacha View Post
I'm guessing that 90% of the time is on the hook 10% sailing, so is the extra 7' in length and 2' of beam worth it.

Depending on how the boat carries that extra 2' beam forward and aft... it could make a sizeable difference in overall volume between the two boats you're comparing. (That's just a "math" observation.)

If the systems on each boat are essentially equivalent (ACs, genset, etc.) you may find access to those systems for maintenance/service/repair might be better on the larger boat. That said, manufacturers often stuff more "attractive" stuff in -- which will need maintenance/service/repair -- as volume increases. (A marketing observation.)

-Chris

Tags
size