Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-07-2015, 09:15   #16

Boat: Beneteau 50
Re: Best pet to travel with - Caribbean

[QUOTE=jamesmyers;1867020]Send photos [/QUOTE

Went to photo the wee fella on deck but we tacked faster than he could get from Port to Starboard. I'm gonna miss him 😢 hopefully he'll not end up in Australia he'll never get in no paperwork.

Unsure how to post photos on this page but that's another discussion.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:46   #17

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Agree with Peter, get a Highland Haggis. At the end of the day if you get hungry you can always eat it

Just stay clear of them lowland beasties, they are plain weird. How ever heard of a vegetarian haggis?

Only note of caution, don't try taking it to America as they outlawed the humble haggis. Something to do with it having lungs

Old 11-07-2015, 09:55   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas_1611 View Post
Agree with Peter, get a Highland Haggis. At the end of the day if you get hungry you can always eat it

Just stay clear of them lowland beasties, they are plain weird. How ever heard of a vegetarian haggis?

Only note of caution, don't try taking it to America as they outlawed the humble haggis. Something to do with it having lungs
The lowland Haggis has lungs but the Highland breed is known as Lungless Douglas but is very rare but comes with full vet documentation for most destinations, hence I'm filling up writing this as the wee fella's just dissapeared over the horizon.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:03   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

For me a salt water croc is hard to beat - preferably around 7 meters long. Very low maintenance and provides fairly good security once trained. Also useful once their sell by date has expired; shoes, handbags etc come to mind.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:12   #20

Old 11-07-2015, 10:16   #21
Marine Service Provider

Boat: VZ 16

So it looks like best pet to travel with is a .... rock Lot of people told me it can be kind complicated to have a pet on a board. So I will concider a bottle of rum
Old 11-07-2015, 11:41   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
For me a salt water croc is hard to beat - preferably around 7 meters long. Very low maintenance and provides fairly good security once trained. Also useful once their sell by date has expired; shoes, handbags etc come to mind.
Bulawayo, Not sure of your gender but if you're a fella we're worried about your interest in the handbags aspect 😁 Shoes acceptable 😉
Old 11-07-2015, 11:51   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter200 View Post
Bulawayo, Not sure of your gender but if you're a fella we're worried about your interest in the handbags aspect 😁 Shoes acceptable 😉
Hi Peter, maybe we have been cruising too long - originally hail from Zimbabwe and when we see a croc at home the first thing many people think of are handbags and shoes which equals £ $ €.
My wife tells me I am fine in that department, so sorry if you are disappointed, sweetie. Trust you have a sense of humour !!
Old 11-07-2015, 11:57   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
Hi Peter, maybe we have been cruising too long - originally hail from Zimbabwe and when we see a croc at home the first thing many people think of are handbags and shoes which equals £ $ €.
My wife tells me I am fine in that department, so sorry if you are disappointed, sweetie. Trust you have a sense of humour !!
Haha thank goodness for that. We love South Africa. No its okay you're very safe l have beautiful Dutch fiancée who loves handbags, me, for my sense of humour and sailboats. Have a great weekend Happy sailing and fair winds to you both where ever you are.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:04   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter200 View Post
Haha thank goodness for that. We love South Africa. No its okay you're very safe l have beautiful Dutch fiancée who loves handbags, me, for my sense of humour and sailboats. Have a great weekend Happy sailing and fair winds to you both where ever you are.
Thanks...... a bit of banter brightens up the day.
By the way - we are Zimbabwean not South African. If you see a cat somewhere with a flag you dont recognise it might well be us. We have never, in over 20 years of cruising, seen another Zim flag flying.
Old 11-07-2015, 13:26   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
J_S might get away with a pet rock in the economies of the Caribbean.

Cruisers aiming for the S Pacific might note that Australia requires rocks collected from the surface of this planet (ones that may have contacted soil, plants, organic or other surface materials) to be declared at the Border and inspected (with the note that inspection fees and clearance fees will apply).

Rocks originating from a depth (below the nominal hard surface of the planet) of 2 metres or greater, if accompanied by a conforming declaration, become non-quarantine items and inspection fees and clearance fees are waived.

Australian Border officials say a detailed product description can allow a cruiser and their vessel to be correctly profiled. Instead of "rock", "pet rock", or "mineral", use "sacrificial zinc anode", "copper concentrate", "stainless steel stock", "engine spare part", "ballast", or similar terms.

Al
LOL, where did you find that info!?!?
Old 11-07-2015, 13:33   #27

I love our dogs and will admit that I am a little grateful that we will have to live via boat docked at a marina for awhile & even that is about a year away. I know it is going to be a lot of work just doing that, much less caring for them while sailing long distance, going into other countries, etc. We will most likely not be getting a dog for awhile after these two pass on, but considering the youngest is only turning 5 this year (the other just turned 10), it will be sometime before we are furbaby-less. So we will deal with it the best we can...
Old 11-07-2015, 17:13   #28

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Haven't you always wanted a monkey?
Make the monkey captain, then you can finally relax.
Unless he beats you to death with a banana.
Old 11-07-2015, 17:46   #29

Boat: Trident Challenger- 35 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Dont bring an animal. Or if you must, do as Sailmonkey says and bring a pet rock. I have one you can buy, its totally housetrained, well, almost; doesnt eat much but chocolate does go missing and the best bit is I will give you the papers for free when you buy the rock for $300.
That sounds like a bargain if you're considering sailing beyond the Caribbean: If you were to buy one of those admittedly cheaper American or European rocks that you see for sale, or worse still, the Chinese copy-rocks offered on eBay for 99 cents, plus postage when you eventually reach New Zealand's West Island, your rock will be confiscated and destroyed by the Authorities - just think of the emotional turmoil you'll suffer then.
But if Mark has all the official paperwork as promised, which shows it to be a genuine Aussie-rock that's just gone Walkabout (should that be Rollabout for a rock?) then you can take it in without problems.

But seriously (well almost) we met a yacht in Brittany about 10 or 12 years ago which had an old and ailing cat aboard, the Skipper was looking forward to the day it finally popped its clogs, but Mrs was insistent that she wanted a replacement when the sad day arrived. I came across the Skipper again on the quay in Bayona, NW Spain the following year and amongst other things, I recalled the cat and enquired as to it's health or replacement; he grinned, refused to answer directly, but offered to take me back to their boat for another beer and 'see for myself': The original cat was still there, curled-up under the dodger and looking much better than it had the previous summer, having died (I assumed) and then been stuffed by a taxidermist in La Rochelle!
Old 11-07-2015, 18:27   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
The original cat was still there, curled-up under the dodger and looking much better than it had the previous summer, having died (I assumed) and then been stuffed by a taxidermist in La Rochelle!
Ah, compromise. The key to any successful relationship.

Tags
Caribbean, rib

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: