Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2008, 16:18   #1

Boat: Morgan OI 33 - Island Girl
Bahamas with Kids in June '09

We're heading from Sarasota to the Bahamas for a month of cruising with our family. This will be our first trip to the Bahamas and our longest cruising adventure to date. We'd appreciate any tips and would love to connect with any other families en route because our kids are sure to get sick of mom and dad 24/7. Our son is 5 and our daughter is 7. Thanks!
horlerfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 11:06   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Will they tolerate a quick trip to Nassau? If so that would be my plan, and go for the Exumas. Lizards, sunken plane in less 10ft., Exuma Park & the Aquarium, Thunderball grotto. That time of the year it will be kind of empty of boat, but most likely other cruising families, because school is out.

Once you get to the Exumas there's so much to do, and see. The kids will be too tired to be bored. This June I took my 7 yr old nephew with 4 adults. He's ready for another trip. Even though we weather a 17 hour storm on the nose, and him puking everywhere.....i2f

I forgot to mention PIGS AT SEA near Staniel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty & TV fish on.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	6131   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-009F.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	6132  

imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 09:04   #3

Boat: Tashiba 40
If you plan to spend time in the Abacos, tune into the Cruisers' Net on VHF channel 68 at 8:15 am and announce that you have children and would like to meet other children and you will probably be able to hook up. I know in the last month there were at least two boats with young children about the age of yours. One of the boats was Black Diamond and had two boys aboard but he went further south to the Exumas I think.

Oops! sorry I didn't see the June part. Still put a call out on the net.
Old 24-12-2008, 11:31   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
What are you sailing and when do you plan to leave? We are also in the Sarasota area and are considering a cruise to either Isla or to the Bahamas after our daughter (15) gets out of school for the summer, the first week of June. We're thinking of only a 5-6 week trip so that we don't get too far into hurricane season before we get home and tucked in for the season. If we decide on the Bahamas, we’ll probably run down to Cabbage Key, then Naples, and then a long run down to Marathon YC for a day layover. Then a shot from Moser Channel to Bimini, then the Berry’s, then Nassau (the Girls want to visit the Atlantis Hotel Aquarium) and then down along the Exumas, maybe as far as Staneil Cay. We’re sailing a Beneteau First 42 and figure we average about 7 knots for passage planning purposes although we always seem to run closer to 8.

Cheers,

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 06:02   #5

We have a much older, slower boat than you (Morgan 33 OI) which avgs about 6 kts on a reach and she doesn't go to wind that well. But we'd love to connect with your family since you are local. We just returned from a 4 day trip to St. Pete and plan to continue to get out most weekends.
We also plan to depart for the Bahamas as soon as the kids are out of school for about 5 weeks. Let me know if you'd like to connect for day or overnight sailing in the Sarasota area.
Old 28-12-2008, 15:00   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Check your PM's!

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2008, 16:39   #7

Boat: R&C, Leopard Catermaran, 47', Rapture
We should still be over in the Bahamas in June, probably above Exumas by then starting to head back to Sarasota by July/August. We have 3 girls, 10, 6 and 2. I brought our boat from Longboat to Maimi over Thanksgiving and bringing her across to Bimini in Janurary. Let me know when you head over and we will see where we are.
shawnbush12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 18:37   #8

We're set to depart Sarasota on June 4th and make our way over to Fort Lauderdale. We'll stock up on provisions, double check weather systems and leave for the Bahamas mid-month. This will be our first time crossing the Gulf Stream so if any other sailors will be in the area and planning to sail to the Bahamas maybe we can connect before leaving FL.
Old 15-04-2009, 19:38   #9

Boat: Jutson 50
Snap! that's what I'm planning..

Hi Horler family,
I'm planning the same kind of trip with two kids (7 & 8), although starting a bit later (July).
At the moment I'm in the planning phase, and I'm reading all about hurricanes. In Australia we sail happily in the Cyclone season, as its pretty easy to see them coming, you just have to have an eye on the the nearest 'hurricane hole', but its really not something you think about everyday.
You seem comfortable cruising in June-August, what does everyone think, is it just a matter of staying up to date with the forecast and having an eye on the nearest good anchorage?
I'm sure there's a thread somewhere here... but I haven't found it yet.

Any opinions would be welcome.
cheers
JMB
tackdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2009, 22:00   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post
<snip> . . . what does everyone think, is it just a matter of staying up to date with the forecast and having an eye on the nearest good anchorage? . . . <snip>
I don't think most competent sailors are overly concerned about being in the hurricane belt during hurricane season . . . it's their insurers who get a little testy about it. If a person is self-insured, and takes only calculated risks rather than foolish ones, this can be a very pleasant time to cruise, ceteris paribus.

TaoJones
Old 16-04-2009, 05:28   #11

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tackdriver View Post
Hi Horler family,
I'm planning the same kind of trip with two kids (7 & 8), although starting a bit later (July).
At the moment I'm in the planning phase, and I'm reading all about hurricanes. In Australia we sail happily in the Cyclone season, as its pretty easy to see them coming, you just have to have an eye on the the nearest 'hurricane hole', but its really not something you think about everyday.
You seem comfortable cruising in June-August, what does everyone think, is it just a matter of staying up to date with the forecast and having an eye on the nearest good anchorage?
I'm sure there's a thread somewhere here... but I haven't found it yet.

Any opinions would be welcome.
cheers

JMB
I've sailed the Bahamas several times in June through early or mid July. Although the hurricane (what we call cyclones over here.) season officially starts June 1, hurricanes are exceptionally rare in June, with most years not having any. Most of the big ones hit in late August to mid October. Also, early season hurricanes tend to stay further south hitting the Caribbean and central America. They are more likely to curve north later in the season. One explanation I've heard for this cause is the Bermuda-Azores high shifts further to the north and a bit east as the earth tilts on it's axis later in the season. (Hurricane paths being influenced heavily by prevailing winds and pressure gradients.) As you said, one should always keep an eye to the weather and have a plan for what you will do if one does approach. I've been told when a hurricane is approaching, this fact will be broadcast on most all channels very frequently.

With warming conditions, many experts predict we will see more hurricanes earlier in the season in addition to more later season hurricanes. (I say that in general, not this year specifically. I have not yet heard any predictions about this year.)

I think everyone needs to figure out their own comfort level and plan. I've always gone the first half of summer instead of later due to the increased risk of hurricanes in addition to warmer, muggier weather that comes later. I agree with Tao, that this can be a pleasant time to cruise. The strong winter cold fronts are a thing of the past and the water is warm enough, one can swim or snorkel for hours without a wet suit.

I have some of my thoughts about crossing as well as some other information about Bahamas cruising on my website listed below. Please realize, it's still a work in progress.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 20:29   #12

Thank you for all your feedback and support. We're in our final days of prep before we leave our jobs for 2 months. We'll try to keep up on our travel posts if anyone with kids wants to meet up! http://horlerfamily.blogspot.com/
Old 17-05-2009, 12:13   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The latest Klotzback-Grey predictions for the 2009 Atlantic hurricane season.
http://hurricane.atmos.colostate.edu...09/apr2009.pdf

All Atlantic 'canes curve North, eventually.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2009, 17:07   #14

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
The latest Klotzback-Grey predictions for the 2009 Atlantic hurricane season.
http://hurricane.atmos.colostate.edu...09/apr2009.pdf

All Atlantic 'canes curve North, eventually.
Thanks for that Gord!

I especially liked pages 20 and 24!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 05:40   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I especially liked pages 20 and 24!
I think the jury may still be hearing evidence on the question of Climate Change (warming) affecting Hurricane intensity & frequency.

However, the 2007 report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) rates the probability of such links as “more likely than not”.

and
Global Warming and Hurricanes - An Overview of Current Research Results
In this review, the author (Thomas R. Knutson) addresses these questions in the context of published research findings.
His conclusions are:
i) It is premature to conclude that human activity--and particularly greenhouse warming--has already had a discernible impact on Atlantic hurricane activity.
ii) It is likely that greenhouse warming will cause hurricanes in the coming century to be more intense on average and have higher rainfall rates than present-day hurricanes.
Goto ➥ Geophysical Fluid Dynamics Laboratory - Global Warming and Hurricanes

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas