Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2014, 05:28   #16

Re: Bahamas pet regulations

Does anyone know where I could find or what the regulations are on the reverse end, returning to the US with a dog from the Bahamas?? Thanks in advance!

Kate & Lola🐶

Check out our liveaboard YouTube channel Wicked Salty!
http://youtu.be/at1NsRZR4-k

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Kate277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:00   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate277 View Post
Does anyone know where I could find or what the regulations are on the reverse end, returning to the US with a dog from the Bahamas?
Pets leaving the United States and then re-entering are treated identically to those entering for the first time.

For returning to the United States with pets, check the specific requirements that must be fulfilled by referencing the websites of the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). The U.S. Customs and Border Control service also publishes a booklet.

CDC ➥ Bringing an Animal into U.S. | Animal Importation | CDC

USDA ➥ USDA APHIS | Imports & Exports

See also ➥ Entering the U.S. with a Pet

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 19:59   #18

Boat: 2001 Helsen Hunter 47-1/2

Pet Bahamas Permit: I requested a permit November 1 and still haven't received my permit. Any suggestions?

CaptainsWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 02:05   #19

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainsWench View Post
Pet Bahamas Permit: I requested a permit November 1 and still haven't received my permit. Any suggestions?

Happened to us, we requested , sent money twice and never ever got it in 2014. Wen we cleared in We explained and showed the email I also sent asking what and why, they said well go by nassau and go to the dept of agri etc and let them know.
Yeah right. We just made sure we had the vet paper on board. Our cats never left the boat anyways.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 13:31   #20

Boat: Pacific Mariner 65

I would call them and ask them about it. Depending on where you clear, it might not be an issue. The couple times we cleared in Bimini, they didn't ask about pets & we didn't say anything (just had the cat, who never left the boat). When we cleared in Nassau, they wanted the permit (had a dog then).

According to the Bahamas site, their phone # is 242-325-7502. Did you send a money order? If so, have you checked to see if it was cashed?
rockerdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2015, 18:52   #21

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Bahamas pet regulations

I sent a copy fed ex and that jarred them into action
Or you could bring it in a cage and tell them its a Montana Hamster
Old 20-01-2015, 08:24   #22

Thanks for the info. What email address did you use? I cannot find my money order receipt so I thought about sending a UPS letter package with Required signing for delivery.
Old 13-02-2015, 14:33   #23

We finally received our pet permit. We had originally mailed the money order USPS the end of November. January rolled around and still no permit. We started calling. After several phone calls, we were told that they had never received our pet permit request. We sent another money order FedEx, signature required. We waited a week and still no permit...but after a phone call, the permit was faxed to us. Lesson learned was always use a overnight type service with signature required. Next is the Veterinarian health check and then a weather window to cross from Ft Lauderdale.
Old 15-02-2015, 05:42   #24

We had trouble getting our pet permit as well. Money and forms were mailed in Oct. by Dec. no permit. I called, emailed and faxed, no response. Finally I Fedexed another form and money order, the cost was $55 from Fla. The pet permit was faxed back in 48 hrs.

At the boat show">Miami boat show yesterday I explained my experience to a representative at the Bahamas tourist booth, the CEO of the Lucayan Marina Village heard me and joined in. I mentioned sailors waiting a month in Florida for a pet permit. The Marina manager said to contact the marina you will be staying in, fax them the pet permit. They will fax you back a pet permit within 48 hrs. He does it all the time. It makes a lot of sense, they want you there spending money not in Florida waiting to cross.

So it maybe another way to avoid a delay and frustration.

Bob
BobH260 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, regulations