Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 19-08-2012, 18:45   #1

Boat: 1973 Challenger 40
Backpacking gear on board?

Hi,
We are planning our cruise, and in the process of purging the house, including our camp gear.

Do any of you keep backcamping stoves and lanterns, a small tent on board for use with portable propane tanks so you can 'camp' on shore excursions? Are the portable propane tanks easy to come by around the world? Is camping in Latin America and the Caribbean something you do?

Interested in your thoughts before we sell it all.

The Adkins Family

Old 19-08-2012, 19:18   #2

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: Backpacking gear on board?

I ain't ever giving up my jetboil and French Press. We also keep dehydrated food handy "just in case". The jetboil is very handy for warm meals when conditions in the galley are "unsettled".

As for the backpacks, tents etc. I guess that depends on if you plan to do any off boat stuff and have the room. I will say a Mountainsmith Approach 35 can carry a LOT of food back from town.

Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2012, 19:21   #3

Basically yes to all of your questions. I bought most of my gear on board. Left behind skis, ski boots , crampons, ice axe, climbing boots, large tent and an external frame pack (it was my first, 50 years ago). I have used most of the gear on board at one stage or another. The climbing gear is especially useful on a boat. The cooking gear is used on the beach. Sometimes go on overnight walks.

The only gear I have not used is down sleeping bags and jacket (I am now in the tropics) In temperate climes, sleeping bags which open out can be used as bedding for guests.

Gas...one of those miniature butane things. Replacement canisters sometimes hard to find here in Aus. No lpg of course.

Its a judgement , depends on how much stowage room you have.

Lee
Old 19-08-2012, 19:57   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

a large backpack is useful for veggie shopping in 3rd world markets before a big trip.

we have 3 tents onboard,mainly for the kids or the crew who after a long passage need some shore time camping on the beach.

sleeping bags are allways useful as padding when it is rough,or as a douvet or to use as insulation to keep food warm(like a hay box)

our led camp light doubles up as an anchor light.

the petromax stove is there if we ever run out of cooking gas,though never had to use it as such.

water bottles are usefull when it is really hot to keep hydrated,and for mixing stuff in if they are marked for measuring.

a bush knife or machete is essential for coconuts!

sleeping mats also are good for the beach etc

"camping gas" canisters or "blue gas" is pretty much internationally available.

one issue you might also consider is the type of zipper on tents and rucksacks,metal parts corrode very quickly in a marine environment,and become useless very quick.
Old 19-08-2012, 20:11   #5

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

+ many on the backpack !! a bunch of use's for packing things back to the boat and to take stuff ashore if needed ! we lived with a camp stove for over a year when we first started off LOL it was a mess to use but better then nothing !! so some stuff helps !!
Old 19-08-2012, 21:29   #6

Boat: 1973 Challenger 40

thanks for all the info! it appears we'll be keeping most of the essential gear based on the wisdom presented.
Old 19-08-2012, 22:03   #7

Boat: Outremer 50S

We take most of our gear with us. Backpacks are always handy. Sleeping bags we try to keep sealed up, they make great emergency sleeping arrangements when everything else gets wet or when it gets really cold.

Having all the gear means you can go off on inland adventures and not be reliant on the hotel/tourist industry (although sometimes that method is nice too).

The one thing I would add, small 1 pound propane/LPG bottles are not that common. Either get a stove/lantern that doesn't take them, or take along one of these:

Propane Tank Fill Adapter

Please note, in the USA transportation of such refilled disposable cylinders is illegal. In theory you can do this as many times as you want at home, but as soon as you move the refilled cylinder over the road you are in violation of DOT regulations. There is actually some reason for that too, the cylinders never get inspected, the plunger seal can wear out from overuse, the tanks can rust.... I use this type of thing all the time, but it is definitely something to be done with caution.
Old 19-08-2012, 22:39   #8

Boat: csy 37

backpacks are really handy for shopping - sometimes you may be walking or taking public transit and it's a lot easier than carrying shopping bags.

sleeping bags are useful if you happen to be in less than a tropical climate. there are few really good heating systems for boats that aren't complicated and/or expensive and sleeping bags are much warmer than blankets, from my own experience.

the lpg fill adapter is a great investment if you intend to use the one pound bottles. i use them for the barbecue grill and a small catalytic heater we sometimes use in the cabin. the trick in filling the small bottles from the 20 pound tank is to put the small bottles in the fridge for twenty minutes to cool them down. when you connect them to the big tank you can actually hear the gas whoosh into them.
Old 20-08-2012, 09:01   #9

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Robius View Post
Hi,
We are planning our cruise, and in the process of purging the house, including our camp gear.

Do any of you keep backcamping stoves and lanterns, a small tent on board for use with portable propane tanks so you can 'camp' on shore excursions? Are the portable propane tanks easy to come by around the world? Is camping in Latin America and the Caribbean something you do?

Interested in your thoughts before we sell it all.

The Adkins Family
Not yet gone south, but for what it's worth...

We currently use a one-pound propane-fuelled campstove secured to a plank for fair-weather cooking in the cockpit because it doesn't heat up the cabin. In addition, crumbs and debris are easily washed out the scuppers. In addition, we use the gimballed butane "stoves" for heating water, soups, etc. in the pilothouse of our steel boat...a convenient way to warm up on watch.

While I hadn't considered tenting ashore, we will be bringing waterproof cycle bags, our intention being picking up cheap beaters in the mountain bike range and slapping on racks for explorations ashore and carrying provisions back to the tender. The logic, which you may find helpful, is explained here:

http://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blo...14731795844700
Old 19-02-2013, 08:06   #10

We use alot of our backpacking gear, ditto on the backpacks themselves to carry groceries.

One must have item is our International Whisperlite Stove. It can burn ANYTHING that is flammable and liquid. It's designed for travelers that don't have access to high quality camping fuel.
Old 20-02-2013, 15:27   #11

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Get rid of it all, there's no room on a boat for all that stuff. Nobody camps out in Latin America, the hotels are $10 and you won't want to leave your boat anyway. Day packs are good for shopping, but the stores will give you a bag to carry your stuff.
What you will need is a bathing suit and a face mask, maybe a teeshirt and hat and sunglasses. Forget the shoes.
Old 20-02-2013, 16:05   #12
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
Nobody camps out in Latin America, the hotels are $10 and you won't want to leave your boat anyway.
Bash camps out in Latin America. Usually out of a sea kayak.
Old 20-02-2013, 16:17   #13

I think is entirely up to what you want to do. We bring a couple of big lightweight packs for those long hauls back to the boat with supplies, but in most places they aren't needed. We also have good walking/hiking shoes for the occasional long walk in rougher terrain. But, for us we anchor out 99.9% of the time, so for many reasons we rarely leave the boat overnight when cruising. We do some day climbs when there is something to go up near the boat. I suspect that like most cruisers you will find you don't use the camping gear that much because there are so many other things to do on and around the boat and waterfront. It isn't like we're out there bored. But, if backpacking and camping is what you prefer, you first have to figure out where you can go inland to do it reasonably close to the coast where you can leave your boat for a few days. I know there is some good mountain climbing in Panama, but not too many places to leave your boat.
Old 20-02-2013, 17:47   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

We kept most of our backpacking stuff. We found it pretty useful both aboard and ashore.

b.
Old 21-02-2013, 05:36   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
Get rid of it all, there's no room on a boat for all that stuff. Nobody camps out in Latin America, the hotels are $10 and you won't want to leave your boat anyway. Day packs are good for shopping, but the stores will give you a bag to carry your stuff.
What you will need is a bathing suit and a face mask, maybe a teeshirt and hat and sunglasses. Forget the shoes.
No pants?

Tags
gear

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: