Old 18-02-2015, 05:59   #16
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Advice - securing baby capsules

A smallish bean bag...
A small dogs chest harness..
Set the bean bag in a safe and sheltered area of the cockpit.. outa the way of working the boat..
Put harness on and clip to fixing point..
The baby sinks into the bean bag.. is less prone to violent movement due to the bags resistance.. and.. dead comfy..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 06:02   #17

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38
Re: Advice - securing baby capsules

And I meant to say tethered or wearing a pfd, both rarely happen at the same time.

Also, we are not full time cruisers, which means we have a choice (to go to the park or sailing), and it's dictated by what's best for baby in our mind, not us - and baby wants to run around.

Also, the situation where wife has to take care of baby and husband drives is suboptimal for us: means she's working and he's having fun, which is just not right, we both love sailing. Again: we don't have to be on the boat, so less stress between the two of us is preferred, and we would often choose not to sail, even though we both really wanted to, when we didn't have enough extra hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 18-02-2015, 08:33   #18

Boat: Catalina 30 Tall Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoha View Post
And I meant to say tethered or wearing a pfd, both rarely happen at the same time.
Same with us. The only time he is wearing both is when we are docking/leaving or dealing with any other situation where undivided attention to the boy may be compromised. The tether keeps him put but in the rarest of instances where the tether comes undone (either through failure or toddler tampering) and he manages to climb up on the settee, over the coaming and through the lifeline netting undetected while the crew is distracted, the PFD will do its job. We are also weekend warriors and will rarely find ourselves in adverse conditions with Junior aboard.

Honestly, no more than half of the safety measures you wind up implementing will be for the sake of the child, the rest will be for the sake of the baby momma. Just like I never understood the effectiveness of sanitizing baby bottles after they came out the dishwasher only to be stored in a not so sanitized wooden cabinet or diaper bag. But the peace of mind it gave momma offset the futility. And peace of mind will be the make or break of your ability to enjoy each outing on the boat.
Old 18-02-2015, 08:43   #19

Also, the situation where wife has to take care of baby and husband drives is suboptimal for us: means she's working and he's having fun, which is just not right, we both love sailing. Again: we don't have to be on the boat, so less stress between the two of us is preferred, and we would often choose not to sail, even though we both really wanted to, when we didn't have enough extra hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum[/QUOTE]

Not to worry. I am not taking the joy of driving a boat away from momma. She is perfectly content being a passenger. In fact, I would be too if I could find somebody to do the sailing for me. Any time I can use auto I do.

We both make a living driving people around- me on ships and her on Airplanes, so any opportunity to be a passenger for us is golden.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 18-02-2015, 12:05   #20

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

Nola - about sanitizing baby bottles (totally an aside): given most people don't always clear out the dishwasher as soon as it's done, you get standing water which was warm for a while, that's a perfect Petri dish, so even just a clean water rinse is better. Once it's dry, who cares about dust in the dirty cabinet, viruses live for but 5 minutes without water. Yes, some microbes cyst up and can survive for years, but most don't.
We live in a city and have mice and cockroaches and who knows what running around everywhere. So although it is mostly for peace of parents' mind, there's still some baby merit to it.

Old 18-02-2015, 14:42   #21

Boat: Alan Pape Ketch

Antoha- yes we have a big covered in center cockpit. I'm not really worried so much about baby going over board just getting my head around it all. My boat below. She ain't going anywhere quick anyway
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	97392  
Old 18-02-2015, 15:00   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattyb View Post
Antoha- yes we have a big covered in center cockpit. I'm not really worried so much about baby going over board just getting my head around it all. My boat below. She ain't going anywhere quick anyway

Actually, you shouldn't use your boat until your kids are in college. I'll be happy to hold onto her and keep her well used until the kids are grown...

Old 18-02-2015, 15:01   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoha View Post
Nola - about sanitizing baby bottles (totally an aside): given most people don't always clear out the dishwasher as soon as it's done, you get standing water which was warm for a while, that's a perfect Petri dish, so even just a clean water rinse is better. Once it's dry, who cares about dust in the dirty cabinet, viruses live for but 5 minutes without water. Yes, some microbes cyst up and can survive for years, but most don't.
We live in a city and have mice and cockroaches and who knows what running around everywhere. So although it is mostly for peace of parents' mind, there's still some baby merit to it.

I understand, it's just more satisfying sometimes to be blindly cynical.

Old 18-02-2015, 15:40   #24

Boat: Alan Pape Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA_sailing View Post
Actually, you shouldn't use your boat until your kids are in college. I'll be happy to hold onto her and keep her well used until the kids are grown...

we may need a nanny !

Old 21-03-2015, 05:38   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
On deck, you might want to consider a baby sling of some sort so that the dedicated adult is wearing the baby.
I have a newborn, and sometimes carry her in a sling (I haven't ever taken her on a boat).

A baby in a sling is going to be very, very close to 100% impossible to keep out of the water if you go over. It'd be so hard to prevent a baby drowning in that situation it's scary to think of.

Lying on your back won't keep their face out of the water. Upright you can't tread water high enough to keep their head above water for more than a few seconds. Getting them out of the sling is going to be difficult, dangerous, and too slow, and defeats a lot of the point of having them in the sling to start with. You can't fit a life vest over the top of the baby strapped to your chest. Your balance is negatively impacted when wearing a baby.

All in all, a recipe for disaster.
Old 21-03-2015, 05:53   #26
cruiser

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Your baby should not ride on a boat until he/she weighs at least 18 pounds and can wear a snug-fitting infant's personal flotation device (PFD).
The average weight baby reaches 18 pounds at about 7 months for boys, and 9 months for girls.
IMHO: Using a car seat on a boat probably isn't safe because the seat would sink instantly if it fell in the water.

See ➥ Life Jacket Laws
This is good advice. Even though many people won't follow it, it's still good advice.
Old 21-03-2015, 10:31   #27

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova

Families raise kids on boats from birth.

Kinda surprised no one has suggested a tiny, zip-up suit (with built-in hoodie and socks) of Velcro. Just apply a large patch of mating Velcro wherever you like and the baby sticks right there.

Terra Nova is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: