Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 16:05   #61

Re: Advice Needed on Tools for Boats

Salty mike, freshwater is your friend. Quality tools of any kind will last provided they are given some care. If you get salt water on something just make sure you rinse it well then give a light coat of your favorite stuff, wd-40 boeing shield etc. lanolin based coating are very good for items you plan to not use very often. CRC SP-350 or SP-400 for instance. 99% of things lasting involves it getting cleaned properly before geting put away. Store in a enviorment that will not collect moisture, wood boxes or cases in particular are very good for tool storage. Canvas bags are great for having a working kit IE tools you use alot, but bad for long term storage as they will soak up moisture and rust or corrode things. Plastic or airtight cases are fine provided they are stored in a even temp and not allowed to condense moisture in side.
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:52   #62

I used to carry a lot more than I do now, realized I was never going to use a lot of it on MY boat.
I now carry only tools that fit MY boat. Only so many sized sockets needed so I carry those in deep and shallow, only 6 point, same goes for box end wrenches.
Takes a bit of time to go through everything to check sizes but I find it worth it.
Of course I carry some stuff I hope I never use, mostly emergency tools, But my basic tool kit is tailored to my boat.
Saved a ton of weight not carrying things like an entire 1/2" drive socket set when the only nut that needs something that size is the keelbolts on my boat.
Tools get heavey fast when you think about the weight of wrecking bars, pipe wrenches, 4 pound hammers etc.
I realized the weight of even my stripped down tool kit when I had to carry it all down the ladder last fall instead of taking it off when I was still in the water.
One thing I may add now that batteries are better is a cordless impact gun, couple guys at the marina have them, we were using them at haulout last fall, handy! And the lithium batteries lasted long enough to be usefull.
Siberianhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2016, 17:40   #63

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

What is your skill level? Electrical? Fiberglass? Engine? Plumbing? Rigging? Woodwork? Sail repair?
What is your current skill level? Where do you think it will go?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote