Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-11-2011, 22:52   #31

Boat: Land Locked
Re: Advice Needed on Tools for Boats

+1 for the headtorch. The cheapest $15 I have ever spent!!

As a tradesman and lover of all thing nautical I would say that unless full time cruising or living aboard you are best to try to remove your cache of power tools when your off the boat for sustained periods of time. Salt water and salty air are absolute murder on power tools. I am sure some have stories to the contrary but I believe that the salt VERY dramatically reduces the usefull life of any power tools!

Also whilst not strictly a "Tool" if there are any fishing rods in the garage worthy of salvaging keep them too. Nothing better than fresh grilled fish on the BBQ in a remote bay with a cold one!

Best of luck!
TomSmith27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 02:01   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Looks like the list has been covered. Last tool I purchased (reluctantly because of price) was a water pump impellor puller, but after using it the first time, I was really happy to have spent the cash. Instead of a couple of hours swearing at an impellor, begging it to come away from the shaft, it popped off in two minutes with a puller.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 04:47   #33

Boat: Considering options

Thanks again everyone, especially Cotemar, knottygurl and DeepFrz for the great lists! I've made a consolidated list and will start the sorting. If I can work out how to load the list here I will as its so useful. Good advice about locating the manuals as well and having more than one set of some things. (Sorry kids, you might have to get your own spanners! )
Awesome Grandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 04:59   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

You can copy this thread by choosing "Thread Tools" at the top of the thread, select "Printable Version" then copy and paste it into an empty word processor file on your computer. It will only show 40 entries per page so you will have to do this several times. Once you have it in a file it will be much easier to edit.

Edit: Once you get it edited, please post it back onto CF.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 06:33   #35
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Grandma View Post
Thanks again everyone, especially Cotemar, knottygurl and DeepFrz for the great lists! I've made a consolidated list and will start the sorting. If I can work out how to load the list here I will as its so useful. Good advice about locating the manuals as well and having more than one set of some things. (Sorry kids, you might have to get your own spanners! )
I am probably not showing you anything you haven't seen already

But if you are stuck for working out what something is / whether you need it - could do worse than click on a toolkits for sale website like this:-

Tool Kits & Tool Sets available at Toolbox

Most toolkits tend to have common "basics" - and as they get larger more aimed towards specific roles (i.e. Engine work vs Woodwork).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 06:58   #36

I didn't see allen wrenches, both metric and standard and the various star bits.

What I'm finding is the tools are naturally migrating from home to boat. As I find I need tools in both, I purchase a new set for the boat (of course).
Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 07:48   #37

Boat: Pearson 323

Don't laugh, but perhaps there are a few tools in these pictures that you may have missed. I have since added many more.

I took these pictures to remember which tools were on the boat, versus at home. Since that time I have changed policy to be more like Capt. Don's, that is, for new tools, I buy one for home and one for boat!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1372.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	33747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1373.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	33748  

StringBimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 11:25   #38

Boat: Catamaran - Eventually

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesome Grandma View Post
Thanks everyone! Thats a combined total of over 50 things to look for without counting the duplicates. Some very good advice on how to 'manage' a tool collection too. Thanks also jr for the link to the magazine article. With few exceptions I think that I will be able to put together most things on the list I have written down. Very helpful. With the exception of an impeller puller and turnbuckles I should be able to recognize the rest! Really motivated to do this now! Thanks again!
Welcome aboard Awesome Grandma and greetings from the USA (Michigan)! That impeller puller looks just like a gear puller and you likely have one or a few if your husband worked much on engines. I would add bungie cords and zip ties to the list as all around hold stuff out of your way tools, they help to hold a flashlight in an awkward position.
Old 16-11-2011, 11:44   #39

Boat: Skookum 53'

A couple of rolls of soft stainless steel wire is always good, and don't forget the "Splash zone",
Old 16-11-2011, 12:02   #40

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Brings to mind: Why is there a dearth of tools aboard the boat when you acquire a good used boat?
Have to go around to various tool supply stores and drool as I look around... Plus my own tool box.
Got an excellent cable cutter for one tenth the cost at Harbor Tools amongest a few other Items also.
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 12:41   #41

I shudder to think how many tools I carry but here's a hint. I carry five large plastic tool boxes. If you are buying tool boxes make sure that water can't enter through holes in the top where the handles attach. A tool tray with a rusty puddle and a handful of rusty tools is an ugly and expensive thing. My five boxes are: 1. Small tools, this box weighs more than 50 lbs. Inventory is too long to list, 2. Heavy tools, this is where the big hammers and wrenches go, it is also around 50 lbs, 3. Electrical box, all kinds of electrical gear, fuses, wire, bulbs, etc., multimeter and probes, racheting crimper, oodles of crimp connectors, tape etc. 4. Bosun's box, thimbles, shackles, spare blocks, fids, palm and needles, thread and whipping twine etc. 5. Engine box, everything necessary for a complete tear down and rebuild on my Perkins 4-108 including inch-lb and foot-lb torque wrenches, ridge reamer, piston ring compressor, etc., also spares for fuel and oil filters, impellers etc.

I carry my crash kit in the shallow cockpit locker where I can get at it if the mast goes. I carry a large bolt cutter, a large wire cutter (it will cut 3/8" wire if I sit on it) and I have just bought a cordless grinder with a metal cutting blade which cuts through 3/8" wire (and 3/8" chain) like butter. Also a large hatchet with a fiberglass handle and a thing called a "radiator hose tool" which is like a scratch awl with the point turned 90 degrees. This thing will pull a cotter pin in a jiffy. Also a set of punches for the turnbuckle pins when there's time.

For work up the mast I carry two Jumars (rope climbing clamps) and a grigri for climbing and descending the mast. I have a dedicated 3/8" (9.4mm) StaSet climbing line so that the Jumars don't damage the halyard. I use my bosun's chair and my safety harness when climbing and a separate figure 8 descender on another halyard just in case.

I also have a canvas bag with the tools I use most often. Screwdrivers, pliers, vise grips, wire cutter etc. I have packages of nylon wire ties in several boxes and I almost always use black ones as sunlight will destroy the clear ones in a couple of months.

I endorse the suggestions for knee pads and headlamps. My favorite stuff is two sided velcro tape in 1" and 2" sizes which I use for tying up everything that needs tying. For those of delicate frame, more boxes weighing less would probably be better.
Tashtego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 13:23   #42

Boat: Mason 53

G'day, Grandma & welcome aboard. Haven't seen a sewing machine listed (sorry if I missed it). This tool probably has saved us the most money over the years in repairs & fabrication of sails, upholstery, canvas and clothing. All the best. Cheers.
matauwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 13:28   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

I would get Calders book.

Amazon.com: Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems (9780071432382): Nigel Calder: Books

It not only tells you what tools you need by why and how to use them.

Best of luck.
hpeer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 13:54   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
I didn't see allen wrenches, both metric and standard and the various star bits.
Thanks Capt. Don, don't know how I could have missed that.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2011, 14:20   #45

Boat: Seafarer 26
Any of you'll using vectran? I just replaced my lifelines with it. It's 12 strand rope thats 8 times stronger then stainless steel wire. Racers are using it for standing rigging. It sure would be easier to work with particularly since you would not need bolt cutters. A little of topic but as a woman i would rather deal with very flexible light rope then wire. Has anyone upgraded?
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote