Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2013, 07:21   #211

Boat: Schucker mini-trawler
Send a message via AIM to janice142 Send a message via MSN to janice142 Send a message via Yahoo to janice142 Send a message via Skype™ to janice142
Re: Admiral?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
BettyBS, I love your avatar! A couple of women on here have pretty good ones along those same curvy lines. However, I believe Cap Krogen was referring to Seaworthy Lass, who's avatar is on the cutesy side for a woman we know to be a wine-sipping, single malt-slugging, French lingerie-wearing, marmite-munching, bra-burning bomeshell of a babe! A Goddess, plain and simple, only not plain nor simple: a Wonderwoman who knows more navigation n other mysterious, arcane stuff like AIS or AVS or somesuch than many of our more esteemed gents like DOJ, and especially English Dave.

I love you, Lassie. Come and be my Admiral baby tonight. You too, Sailor G. I need more agility on deck for sure, and my mast really needs climbing. What's for dinner, girls?
Well, I'm guessing before dinner there might be a "Man Overboard" drill...
janice142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:31   #212
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
As a matter of interest, I'd bet a few beers there are not many, or any members here who know where SWMBO comes from... googling not allowed!
Gee I thought I was the only one on the forum that didn't know this when I found the book online at Free ebooks - Project Gutenberg a couple of years ago. But seeing no replies to the question maybe I'm one of the few that does know the origin.

Came from a series (two or three?) books starting with She. Story about a couple of guys (godfather and godson if I recall) going on a trip to find a hidden civilization in Africa that is ruled by an immortal woman with mysterious mental powers that forced compliance with her will or killed the uncompliant. Hence the name She Who Must Be Obeyed.

If I recall the author was H Rider Haggard (King Solomon's Mines) but in the spirit of no googling allowed I won't check the accuracy of my memory.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:41   #213

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Gee I thought I was the only one on the forum that didn't know this when I found the book online at Free ebooks - Project Gutenberg a couple of years ago. But seeing no replies to the question maybe I'm one of the few that does know the origin.

Came from a series (two or three?) books starting with She. Story about a couple of guys (godfather and godson if I recall) going on a trip to find a hidden civilization in Africa that is ruled by an immortal woman with mysterious mental powers that forced compliance with her will or killed the uncompliant. Hence the name She Who Must Be Obeyed.

If I recall the author was H Rider Haggard (King Solomon's Mines) but in the spirit of no googling allowed I won't check the accuracy of my memory.
I guess I owe you a few beers

Now if you can get to Portobelo, Panama, in the next week or so... $1/beer here if you're not fussy about the bar

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:49   #214
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I guess I owe you a few beers

Now if you can get to Portobelo, Panama, in the next week or so... $1/beer here if you're not fussy about the bar
Don't think I will make it to Panama this trip but will take a rain check and catch you on a later leg of your trip.

I think by definition anyplace called a bar would require the patrons not be fussy. If you're fussy go to a cafe or bistro for your libations.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:10   #215

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBSailin View Post
Can someone please explain the 'Admiral' thing to me? I don't understand why all the men are referring to their wives as Admiral. Is it respectful? Akin to 'ball and chain'? Something in between?
C'mon ladies. Certainly you're all familiar with the saying, "happy wife, happy life". Or, "when Mom's unhappy, everyone is unhappy". On land men clear things with their wives first. On the water they run it by the "Admiral". No big deal.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:14   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Don't think I will make it to Panama this trip but will take a rain check and catch you on a later leg of your trip.

I think by definition anyplace called a bar would require the patrons not be fussy. If you're fussy go to a cafe or bistro for your libations.
Well, it is waterfront, and it is $1/beer. Sadly there are ex cruisers here who will never sail again.... trapped by the price of the beer

Vic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1044722_10201672550520765_405086833_n.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	63721  

Old 07-07-2013, 08:23   #217

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Admiral?

Which airline flies to Panama?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:51   #218

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Loved that show, but not the origin...
Rumpole was quoting from a Rider Haggard novel called "She", who was queen of a fictitious African tribe with mystical powers and the secret of eternal youth. Ancient but beautiful and ruthless, and was She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed.
A bit like..... nah, she might log on and read this....
G'Day Vic,

From memory of the novel "She", swmbo was not a very nice person. IF you displeased her she had her minions do you in by heating a large ceramic pot to a white heat and then dropping it over your head.

I doubt if anyone called her "Admiral"... at least more than once!

Cheers,

Jim

PS I am definitely NOT suggesting that this be a practice for those ladies who do not wish to be called by that title... I might accidentally do so some day!
Old 07-07-2013, 19:02   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Vic,

From memory of the novel "She", swmbo was not a very nice person. IF you displeased her she had her minions do you in by heating a large ceramic pot to a white heat and then dropping it over your head.

I doubt if anyone called her "Admiral"... at least more than once!

Cheers,

Jim

PS I am definitely NOT suggesting that this be a practice for those ladies who do not wish to be called by that title... I might accidentally do so some day!
Hi Jim,
I'd forgotten that bit... nasty.
Good luck with the body work.
I guess you'll be back in Aus before we will.
We're looking at Oct/Nov.

Vic

Old 07-07-2013, 20:24   #220

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
My boat card says Admiral and I find nothing demeaning about the term.

It all came about because of a yard sale my dad went to many decades ago. He found a brass name plate which he installed on the front of his chair saying CAPTAIN. So, naturally mother went shopping and found a similar one that said ADMIRAL. Without a word she installed hers on her chair. It was fun and funny.

Obviously as the daughter, when I bought my own boat the only title that would work is Admiral. In the military the fault always is pegged to the top of the command chain and afloat, that's the Admiral. Any mistakes are mine and fixing them is my responsibility. Thus Admiral sums up the total responsibility that comes with being a soloist.

I like it, and when I see the men referring to their wives as Admiral it never occurred to me that there could be any rudeness involved. It seems respectful, in that they are checking with their mate regarding matters of the boat rather than arbitrarily deciding. And, it is not my business to decide what is proper between spouses.
Thank you for bringing some reality back to this thread!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 20:25   #221

Quote:

I love you, Lassie. Come and be my Admiral baby tonight. You too, Sailor G. I need more agility on deck for sure, and my mast really needs climbing. What's for dinner, girls? "There is nothin' like a dame! nothin' in the world. There is nothin' yer can name that's is anythin' like a dame ..."

Are you asking us individually or both of us? I bet two "admirals" on the same boat may be more than you want to handle!!

But maybe we need a new thread...I'm not sure I love the term 'dame'. Sorry, couldn't resist!!

LOL

Gloria
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 20:37   #222

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
Are you asking us individually or both of us? I bet two "admirals" on the same boat may be more than you want to handle!!

But maybe we need a new thread...I'm not sure I love the term 'dame'. Sorry, couldn't resist!!

LOL

Gloria
Invite, as I read it, was for both
I think Crabby is one of those rare men capable of handling two Admirals

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 22:35   #223

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Admiral?

I guess Janice and Smart Move won't be joining us, ladies. Raku?

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:05   #224

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
I guess Janice and Smart Move won't be joining us, ladies. Raku?

I guess I'm not invited to the party, huh? While I don't subscribe to the whole admiral thing myself, I can see both sides of the coin on this one.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:00   #225
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by janice142 View Post
My boat card says Admiral and I find nothing demeaning about the term.

It all came about because of a yard sale my dad went to many decades ago. He found a brass name plate which he installed on the front of his chair saying CAPTAIN. So, naturally mother went shopping and found a similar one that said ADMIRAL. Without a word she installed hers on her chair. It was fun and funny.

Obviously as the daughter, when I bought my own boat the only title that would work is Admiral. In the military the fault always is pegged to the top of the command chain and afloat, that's the Admiral. Any mistakes are mine and fixing them is my responsibility. Thus Admiral sums up the total responsibility that comes with being a soloist.

I like it, and when I see the men referring to their wives as Admiral it never occurred to me that there could be any rudeness involved. It seems respectful, in that they are checking with their mate regarding matters of the boat rather than arbitrarily deciding. And, it is not my business to decide what is proper between spouses.
Sort of my feelings on the issue.

Does anyone else recall that this exact same subject came up about three years ago? 115 posts on that thread. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...als-40358.html

I've been trying to resist getting into this discussion since the last time my comments generated some disapproval but I still feel pretty much the same way. So here's my comment from the previous "Admiral" thread.

Well, it's like Sarafina says "ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it..." It ain't what ya say, it's the way that ya say it. Condescending is all in the attitude.

If I was invited onto your boat and you called me admiral and smiled I would smile back. Call me that with a sarcastic sneer and I will thank you and leave.

I might add a frequently misquoted line from an old western "When you call me that, smile."

Certainly the term admiral can be derogatory and I would suspect the majority of the time there is at least some degree of sarcasm or resentment behind it's use. But any name can be used in a derogatory way and conversely a name can be used in a negative or positive way depending on who says it and how.

However, I do see a strong argument against the term (and others) based on the fact that women historically have been discriminated against in most societies. Even in the enlightened USA today women on average get paid less, have fewer opportunities for higher level jobs, are often the target for abuse and more. So can we wonder that there may be some sensitivity to a label or name that is potentially demeaning, no matter how innocently it is used? Language can be subtle and powerful in how it influences our thoughts and attitudes.

Obviously I can see pros and cons but bottom line, if someone doesn't like being called admiral or any other name I will gladly respect their wishes. By the way, I asked my wife, who I have never called admiral, her thoughts on the matter and initially she didn't understand the objection but I read he a few of the posts and she decided to agree with the OP.

PS
Speaking of Sarafina, I haven't seen any posts from her lately. Did she take off sailing or something?