Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 22:37   #196

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Admiral?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
OK, so I've been told that "Admiral" is unacceptable by 100% of the women aboard our boat, but no alternative has been given.

So please, what is acceptable?
Ah, finally someone has asked the question .

From my point of view, if their name is not being revealed here on CF, then just refer to them as "my wife/partner/friend/daughter/niece" or whatever the case may be.
If sailing duties are not being shared equally and their role on board is being described, then "skipper/crew" keeps it accurate and simple .

What you call them face to face is a matter between the two of you .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 23:13   #197

Boat: 1980 Catalina 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
I have no problem with you calling your wife names. That's your business.

"I'm only stating MY preference, and my preference is not to be called names by someone who is supposed to care about me. __________________"

And I support you 100%! You tell him exactly what you want , and when and how. But please leave me and mine out of it. And you can't have it both ways. That little cutie of an avatar you have , is incongruous with this rant. Live and let live.

And those Navy guy's,, they say that a carrier leaves the dock with 5 thousand sailors and come back with 2500 couples. (just kidding) If they could fit that many in an airplane the same might be true for the Airforce.
Are you referring to my avatar, Krogensailor? You've mentioned it a couple of times in this thread with the insinuation that I have a problem with the title Admiral. If you'll read my posts, you'll see that my first post I asked what was up with the use of the word (I genuinely didn't know, but boy did I get an education with this thread), and later I said I probably wouldn't love it but I'd go with the intent. Right this moment, I'm too new of a sailor to be called anything that implies being in charge.

And I like my cutie little avatar. I like pinup girls...especially the curvy ones with a bit of meat on their body. I love that they are shown in their real bodies, in a flirty fun way. And I particularly like this cute sailor one.

If you aren't referring to me, the OP, then it would be nice if you could please indicate who you are referring to so I'm not left wondering. Thanks.
BettyBSailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 23:39   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
OK, so I've been told that "Admiral" is unacceptable by 100% of the women aboard our boat, but no alternative has been given.

So please, what is acceptable?
If they are non-sailing, how about "passenger" or maybe if you fly the Jolly Roger you can refer to them as the "parrot"
Old 07-07-2013, 00:49   #199
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
From my point of view, if their name is not being revealed here on CF, then just refer to them as "my wife/partner/friend/daughter/niece" or whatever the case may be.
Leaving aside that in these parts a couple of those relationships as an "Admiral" would be illegal.........

Perhaps some folks are not happy defining their other half simply by the nature of their relationship (Wife / Partner / Chattel / Girlfriend / Rental) - and also consider it none of the business of anyone else, especially in internetland.

I will concede have never been big on doing WTF other folks want, clearly from this thread that is a YMMV thing.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 00:50   #200
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
If they are non-sailing, how about "passenger" or maybe if you fly the Jolly Roger you can refer to them as the "parrot"
But for that you would need one with a SOH, clearly not all have that..........
Old 07-07-2013, 01:04   #201
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Here's a simple answer. How about "my love"?

Coops.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:30   #202

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
Here's a simple answer. How about "my love"?

Coops.
That's a winner any time

Old 07-07-2013, 03:24   #203

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Simply because when it comes right down to it, the Admiral really drives what is going to happen; where your are going, when you are going to town, if the boat you're looking at has a nice "bedroom" etc. Sure you can ignore the Admiral's wishes... but it aint gonna work out well in the end. I dont think there is any patronizing about it, It's an admission of submission to her wishes...
Some people fit this set-up very well, particularly where there's sensitivity between the two. Others are supersensitive or insensitive and it don't work so well.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 04:54   #204
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Some people fit this set-up very well, particularly where there's sensitivity between the two. Others are supersensitive or insensitive and it don't work so well.
and even if "You" think of her as "The Admiral" sometimes it is better to keep thoughts to self........

.......I think that's a "man thing" .
Old 07-07-2013, 04:55   #205

Boat: Etap 37 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
I'd bet a few beers there are not many, or any members here who know where SWMBO comes from... googling not allowed!
Wasn't it Rumpole? I seem to remember that Arfur Dailey preferred "'er indoors".

Of course I'm often wrong.

Mike
(the mother of my children, who I co-habilitate with although we are not married, do not have joint finances, but do own a house together - would be quite amused if I was to call her admiral. Mainly she calls me 'Jesus Christ' as in 'Jesus Christ, haven't you done the washing yet'
MLOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:06   #206

Boat: O'Day 28

BettyBS, I love your avatar! A couple of women on here have pretty good ones along those same curvy lines. However, I believe Cap Krogen was referring to Seaworthy Lass, who's avatar is on the cutesy side for a woman we know to be a wine-sipping, single malt-slugging, French lingerie-wearing, marmite-munching, bra-burning bomeshell of a babe! A Goddess, plain and simple, only not plain nor simple: a Wonderwoman who knows more navigation n other mysterious, arcane stuff like AIS or AVS or somesuch than many of our more esteemed gents like DOJ, and especially English Dave.

I love you, Lassie. Come and be my Admiral baby tonight. You too, Sailor G. I need more agility on deck for sure, and my mast really needs climbing. What's for dinner, girls?

"There is nothin' like a dame! nothin' in the world.
There is nothin' yer can name that's is anythin' like a dame ..."
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:18   #207

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
BettyBS, I love your avatar! A couple of women on here have pretty good ones along those same curvy lines. However, I believe Cap Krogen was referring to Seaworthy Lass, who's avatar is on the cutesy side for a woman we know to be a wine-sipping, single malt-slugging, French lingerie-wearing, marmite-munching, bra-burning bomeshell of a babe! A Goddess, plain and simple, only not plain nor simple: a Wonderwoman who knows more navigation n other mysterious, arcane stuff like AIS or AVS or somesuch than many of our more esteemed gents like DOJ, and especially English Dave.

I love you, Lassie. Come and be my Admiral baby tonight. You too, Sailor G. I need more agility on deck for sure, and my mast really needs climbing. What's for dinner, girls?
Hey, if I were free to accept an invitation like that, eating dinner would be the last thing on the agenda for either of us LOL

Old 07-07-2013, 05:24   #208

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Admiral?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Hey, if I were free to accept an invitation like that, eating dinner would be the last thing on the agenda for either of us LOL
Thanks A! (I can speak Australian!)
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:28   #209

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Thanks A! (I can speak Australian!)
No need for conversation either

Old 07-07-2013, 07:08   #210

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLOI View Post
Wasn't it Rumpole? I seem to remember that Arfur Dailey preferred "'er indoors".

Of course I'm often wrong.

Mike
(the mother of my children, who I co-habilitate with although we are not married, do not have joint finances, but do own a house together - would be quite amused if I was to call her admiral. Mainly she calls me 'Jesus Christ' as in 'Jesus Christ, haven't you done the washing yet'
Loved that show, but not the origin...
Rumpole was quoting from a Rider Haggard novel called "She", who was queen of a fictitious African tribe with mystical powers and the secret of eternal youth. Ancient but beautiful and ruthless, and was She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed.
A bit like..... nah, she might log on and read this....

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote