Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2013, 20:56   #91
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Admiral?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Someone has to be the captain/skipper, but it isn't always the guy. And it isn't always the guy who buys the boat. I know a couple of couples where it's the wife who knows more about sailing, and the wife who bought the boat. Really.
Aint that the truth...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 21:08   #92

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
In North Carolina Women are not allowed to be Admirals. Or to leave the house.
Are you mad? How the hell do you think I get my kids to soccer/school/dentist or get my groceries bought? I mean there's guys that haven't caught on yet in the neighborhood but most of them get their secretaries or mistresses to handle it. I like to think of myself as progressive. Early adopter....

Paaleease......

In all seriousness, I think the admiral thing may be generational. Maybe not. Ill let other couples sort out whether it works for them and whether a woman considers it pejorative or tongue in cheek obeisance. None of my business.

I have always found it irritating personally, but may be the badass babes I roll with. My wife is a southern belle for sure, and has zero interest in chain in command on our little ship. She is a guest, and is treated as one. May be different one day, but my path to marital bliss was to learn to singlehand. When she is on board, she helps out plenty but there's no pressure for her to do anything, and I involve her as much as she wants.

I'm seriously tickled by this thread because it has irked me for some time, and I just thought I was the only one.

Just one moment here while I adjust the fan so that it is blowing on my lovely guest here. She has been incredibly $upportive of my madness over the years. She holds down the fort while I go off on my adventures, so when she is on the boat, I take great pleasure in making it very special and tailored to her needs. I'm thrilled to have her on board for the next week....with no kids

Happy US Independence Day captains, admirals, mates and masters.

Livin the dream....
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 21:17   #93
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Admiral?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
Are you mad? How the hell do you think I get my kids to soccer/school/dentist or get my groceries bought? I mean there's guys that haven't caught on yet in the neighborhood but most of them get their secretaries or mistresses to handle it. I like to think of myself as progressive. Early adopter....

Paaleease......

In all seriousness, I think the admiral thing may be generational. Maybe not. Ill let other couples sort out whether it works for them and whether a woman considers it pejorative or tongue in cheek obeisance. None of my business.

I have always found it irritating personally, but may be the badass babes I roll with. My wife is a southern belle for sure, and has zero interest in chain in command on our little ship. She is a guest, and is treated as one. May be different one day, but my path to marital bliss was to learn to singlehand. When she is on board, she helps out plenty but there's no pressure for her to do anything, and I involve her as much as she wants.

I'm seriously tickled by this thread because it has irked me for some time, and I just thought I was the only one.

Just one moment here while I adjust the fan so that it is blowing on my lovely guest here. She has been incredibly $upportive of my madness over the years. She holds down the fort while I go off on my adventures, so when she is on the boat, I take great pleasure in making it very special and tailored to her needs. I'm thrilled to have her on board for the next week....with no kids

Happy US Independence Day captains, admirals, mates and masters.

Livin the dream....

Well I think you hit the nail on the head. No woman wants to spend the day cranking winches on the headsheet, etc., only to be called "admiral."

I would LOVE to have a fellow thrilled to have me on board, working hard to make it enjoyable for me as well as for him -- and calling me "admiral" would pretty much put a dent in it.

Just call me "bossy pants" while you're at it ...
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 21:20   #94
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well I think you hit the nail on the head. No woman wants to spend the day cranking winches on the headsheet, etc., only to be called "admiral."

I would LOVE to have a fellow thrilled to have me on board, working hard to make it enjoyable for me as well as for him -- and calling me "admiral" would pretty much put a dent in it.

Just call me "bossy pants" while you're at it ...
Hey 'Bossy Pants'.... get a wiggle on...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 03-07-2013, 21:24   #95

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
"!!!! Incoming !!!"
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 21:46   #96
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

ROTFL -- SORRY, Captain -- didn't the Admiral pull that anchor up fast enough for you?

C'mon up here and stand on the rode. It will help me. Really.

Oh dear, a loop. Oh my how did it get around your ankle?

Oops. Sorry -- I just couldn't hold it any longer!
Old 03-07-2013, 22:00   #97
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Observation.... since I've been in NJ the last couple of days... Botox is no longer the miracle cure for old age wrinkles ... today its the miracle cure for migrane... god bless advertising...
Could cause cancer, heart attacks, liver problems, respiratory problems... but you'll smile for the rest of your life... over here we call it a grimace...

Old 03-07-2013, 22:41   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Plain patronising.
Haven't come across a woman yet who likes the term.
No idea why men here persist in using it .
I hear you that's why I keep my women in her place and call her the swab!!!!
Blue Agave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 22:49   #99

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Agave View Post
That term I can handle

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 23:15   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
That term I can handle
I had the feeling a good salty Seaworthy lass would understand
Blue Agave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 05:56   #101

When I used to work offshore. Any boat that operated for more than 12 hours at a time, had to have two captains.
A first captain and a second captain. (First Captain is ultimately responsible)What is wrong with two people sharing responsibility? Whoever is on watch is in charge.
If I was ever woken up by my girlfriend and told to do something, I do not think that I would question her. You must trust the other captain!!!
Old 04-07-2013, 07:09   #102

Is this just a sailing thing? We r small power boaters but even our friends with bigger boats don't use the term. I personally refer 2 myself as 1st mate because usually hubby is driving and navigating and I'm doing everything else...except pulling the anchor, (no windlass). I'm on the helm while he pulls the anchor. Anyway when we had our boys aboard I sat on my butt while one of them was 1st mate.
Live4boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:17   #103

Boat: Amel Sharki

One day while on the boat I called my wife "Deck Candy". She replied at once..."That's Admiral Deck Candy to you Bucko !".
Fair Winds,
Mark and Joanna
Sharki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:20   #104

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:

Well, you've got women here telling you that it makes things worse. Fellows can listen or not, but it defuses nothing ...
Yup. As per my post you quoted, I find the debate interesting, though I've never referred to a partner as admiral myself, and I provided my understanding of the reasoning behind the term.
Seems to me there's often enough not listening on both sides to go around

Re: owner of a boat being male or female, it is certainly possible, less common however. I still think it's a generational thing to get so fussed about it If a couple tells me the woman owns the boat I'm working on, or is in charge of the decisions required, regardless of who initially contracted us, then she gets the questions about what they want done, and the bill. As always both genders get an equal explanation and any questions they have for me answered.

As for myself, I'd love to have a friend with a boat who wanted to fix their toilet, engine, rigging, do the bottom work, provisioning and pay the moorage.

Don't care about their gender, can be male, female or in transition to points between the two. I'd just love to go sailing.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:22   #105
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Agave View Post

That's actually funny and cute, esp. if she doesn't know a lot about sailing.

And the difference is, it focuses on sailing, not personality.