Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2013, 22:37   #1

Boat: 1980 Catalina 22
Admiral?

Can someone please explain the 'Admiral' thing to me? I don't understand why all the men are referring to their wives as Admiral. Is it respectful? Akin to 'ball and chain'? Something in between?
BettyBSailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 22:40   #2

Re: Admiral?

Well, speaking militarily, the Admiral is the highest ranking officer. The guy is usually called Captain or Skipper, but an Admiral always out ranks the Captain.

That being said, the Captain is the one responsible for the crew and the vessel.
cruiserbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 22:56   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettyBSailin View Post
Can someone please explain the 'Admiral' thing to me? I don't understand why all the men are referring to their wives as Admiral. Is it respectful? Akin to 'ball and chain'? Something in between?
Plain patronising.
Haven't come across a woman yet who likes the term.
No idea why men here persist in using it .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 23:18   #4

Boat: Alberg 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

Plain patronising.
Haven't come across a woman yet who likes the term.
No idea why men here persist in using it .
Interesting, though I've never used the term, I assumed it was respectful. A way of light heartedly balancing some tricky dynamics on a boat.
Since generally it is a guy who has purchased boat previously if not together and also generally the guy who tends to the engine maintenance, toilet maintenance etc...
I understood it to be a somewhat deferential way to defuse that, as the admiral is ranked above a captain but does not need the same day to day closeness with the vessel in question to be deserving of respect, and to be a higher level decision maker.
jgbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 23:27   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbrown View Post
Interesting, though I've never used the term, I assumed it was respectful. A way of light heartedly balancing some tricky dynamics on a boat.
Since generally it is a guy who has purchased boat previously if not together and also generally the guy who tends to the engine maintenance, toilet maintenance etc...
I understood it to be a somewhat deferential way to defuse that, as the admiral is ranked above a captain but does not need the same day to day closeness with the vessel in question to be deserving of respect, and to be a higher level decision maker.
I have tended to give most men the benefit of the doubt with their use of this term . Often though, anyone with higher decision making rights is resented rather than respected.

I haven't come across any women that like this term.
Will be interesting to see what feedback comes in from other female CF members.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 23:44   #6

Only speaking for myself, I never used it in a derogatory way. I have the utmost respect and love for my wife. She is my world. So, it has only been used in an affectionate context.
cruiserbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 23:47   #7

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Never called Connie Admiral, she's always been the First mate!! Is that a bad one also??? Im old and don't know all this political correct stuff !!!
Old 03-07-2013, 02:49   #8

Boat: Skookum 53'

My wife is known as "Cynthia, Queen of the pirates!". She loves that! Cyn is honored, respected, and an equal partner in every way. She was the first and as far as I know the only female Bering sea crab skipper.
Old 03-07-2013, 03:25   #9

Boat: currently boatless

Hello all,
well I think calling the wife Admiral or first mate is "not of any great concern but just to be shore I will check with "She who must be obeyed " and get her opinion. Actually better check with the dog as well as I tend to call it the scurvy mongrel Just something else I remembered on land, at home I often refer to my wife as the "minister for war and finance" I still love her to death though
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:32   #10

Boat: 40 spray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I have tended to give most men the benefit of the doubt with their use of this term . Often though, anyone with higher decision making rights is resented rather than respected.

I haven't come across any women that like this term.
Will be interesting to see what feedback comes in from other female CF members.
I am unclear on how it can both receive the benefit of the doubt AND be found as derogatory?

Btw as one abut to embark on his 'maiden' voyage alone, I hope to one day have aboard someone who can 'admirably' fetch me ale! Jk
Cjwelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsailer View Post
Hello all,
well I think calling the wife Admiral or first mate is "not of any great concern but just to be shore I will check with "She who must be obeyed " and get her opinion. Actually better check with the dog as well as I tend to call it the scurvy mongrel Just something else I remembered on land, at home I often refer to my wife as the "minister for war and finance" I still love her to death though
Funny!

I'm the 1st mate, but I might like admiral better!
Live4boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:48   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

so all you wives/girlfriends/women out there ........................ what do what to be called?
Old 03-07-2013, 03:59   #13
Armchair Bucketeer

I think it can be read either way, depends on context used.

FWIW, I tend to read it as meaning a wife (or Partner) who is not really so much into the sailing / boating end of things - at least not hands on (i.e. if Hubby as Skipper went glug they too would likely be in the doodah!). And I don't read anything bad into that.

I guess the Admiral tag also says that the wife has the final say (as they often do!, boat or not!) or is at least an easy excuse to deploy (that is readily accepted!) when saying no or feeling that own choices made need to be justified to others.

Of course I may be overthinking!, for some I am sure it is simply because Admiral sounds nautical and looks better on a hat than galley slave!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:00   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjwelch View Post
I am unclear on how it can both receive the benefit of the doubt AND be found as derogatory?
Have you had many dealings with women?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:08   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin

In most relationships both partners know who thinks he is the boss and who really is. So, the title of admiral is an affectionate and lightheartedly humorous title without actually being sarcastic or derogatory. Most seagoing women like the title (never met one that didn't) and when most non-boating women hear it for the first time they 'get it'.
Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote