Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2011, 07:07   #121

Re: A Woman's Needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
Thanks Minty - beautifully said.
I'm trying to make up for years of being an idiot when I was a young man and utterly clueless about women. The benefits of age and being surrounded by women/girls have made me a touch wiser. I just wish that some of my eldest daughter's friends weren't so stunning.....
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 07:19   #122
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A Woman's Needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
I'm trying to make up for years of being an idiot when I was a young man and utterly clueless about women. The benefits of age and being surrounded by women/girls have made me a touch wiser. I just wish that some of my eldest daughter's friends weren't so stunning.....
Yeah.... what is it with that... the women of my youth (50's/60's) never looked so good... they looked bludi awful in the main... if memory serves me well

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 07:31   #123
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
.... home is where my family are and if we don't fly home your in deep ****....
Yeah, changing prioities is hard to deal with, especially if they haven't really changed, were just hidden in beginning!. LOL. But even worse, is the effort to change your priorities to be the same as hers. I can see that would sour you.

Quote:
But... there's this little optomist sits on my shoulder whispering... maybe, maybe... just maybe.... lol
Glad to hear it!

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 07:35   #124
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'

Quote:
Yeah.... what is it with that... the women of my youth (50's/60's) never looked so good... they looked bludi awful in the main... if memory serves me well
That's because "youth is wasted on the young". At this age we find youth itself to be beautiful. When we're younger, we are hard on ourselves and others. Also, I guess, when I was young at least we were all hippies, not caring so much about looks. Now all the young women are trying to look like the pop stars they watch - lots of skin showing, and lots of "enhancements", of all kinds.

These days, I'll settle for a kind heart and a hard %!*&.

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 09:00   #125
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
My limited experience agrees with Erika's comment that every women is different ...
Gosh! That makes them sound very much like people. Could it be?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 09:20   #126
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ossiris--do you have a mate? is hard to believe, if you do, sorry-- you have never hit the target, much less the bulls-eye.
boatie-- you are, as ever....(BIG sigh, bats eyes..)
margo-- so right.!!

a youthful body is artwork. an aging body is payback....

individuality is important--generalizations sink ye.

HOME IS WHERE MY BOAT IS
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 09:39   #127

Boat: Contessa 26

Quote:
Gosh! That makes them sound very much like people. Could it be?
\

Women = People !?! Good God Gord you sound like a flaming feminist! I bet you don't even shave your legs.
Dulcieta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 09:58   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcieta View Post
Women = People !?! Good God Gord you sound like a flaming feminist! I bet you don't even shave your legs.
Yeah!!!

I don't have a bra to burn so I show my symbolic support for women by drinking beer.

mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 13:38   #129

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Re: What a woman needs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Thats where ive been going wrong all these years, ive been rubbing the wrong parts!

NOW THAT IS FUNNY!!!
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 20:34   #130

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyspilot View Post
Wow - have things got that bad in the Land of the Free?
Surely most women want (fundamentally) what most men want? A companion to travel life's journey with? Someone to share the happiness and sadness, the sweetness and the sorrows and to banish loneliness so that you're not alone in the night, miserable or cold?
That is fundamentally true but you have to also know that it also includes a home firmly "bolted" to Mother Earth and within easy distance of family, kids, friends, supermarkets, shopping malls and beauty salons. Oh, don't forget the two car garage.
- - I sense from the descriptions and expressed desires of a large majority of the men on this CF forum that they are in or close to the "under $500/month" type cruisers. Small boats - under mid-40 ft mono's & cats - do not come anywhere close to providing the "nesting" requirements of young women - anybody under 50 y.o. Catamarans come close if sufficiently large with all the household appliances, etc. installed. But for only a limited period of time and then it is "time to go back home to the house and kids/friends/etc."
- - This is real life observations in the Caribbean over a decade. Couples who acted and lived like the full time Cruising lifestyle was their "cup of tea" all of a sudden are forced back to land by the distaff side usually with the comment - "well, you had your fun, now it is time to go home (land)."
- - All the wishing and dreaming of equality, sharing, romance, etc. cannot - except in extremely rare instances - overcome generations of conditioning and a life growing up on land. Some of those exceptions come from the kids who grew up on boats and avoided the mass media and school peer conditioning.
- - I do notice that almost without exception the CF women contributors are all living on land or on a boat anchored in a harbor on the mainland where they have daily access to all the attributes of the American (major western country) lifestyle.
- - As I stated there is a continual evolution of any society and today's young American (and other major western countries) woman is no longer anywhere near what they were 30-40-50 years ago. None of which is conducive to a satisfying full time life on a cruising boat. Pioneers and explorers they are not.
- - For the young men looking for what our fathers and grandfathers had, if they were full time cruisers, they had better look elsewhere for women whose needs can be fulfilled living full time on a cruising boat. There are plenty out there, just not in North America or other major western countries.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 21:33   #131
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

"..... For the young men looking for what our fathers and grandfathers had, if they were full time cruisers, they had better look elsewhere for women whose needs can be fulfilled living full time on a cruising boat. There are plenty out there, just not in North America or other major western countries."
you have a dislike of american women-- not all american women are as you describe. many dislike the crap of which you speak as desirous to women. maybe youneed to become one before you speak-- before you criticize-- walk in their shoes. some women have to put up with the likes of you-- wouldnt be easy considering your attitude towards women, as you have exhibited here in this forum/\
before ye criticize -- figger out why that soul responds/reacts to you in that manner you so dislike, mebbe an attitude adjustment would help.
as i said before, generalizations are not accurate assessments. you have overlooked more than you have seen.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 21:53   #132

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
- - For the young men looking for what our fathers and grandfathers had, if they were full time cruisers, they had better look elsewhere for women whose needs can be fulfilled living full time on a cruising boat. There are plenty out there, just not in North America or other major western countries.
Ahem, the generalization of American women gets really old sometimes (sigh). 100% all American woman here with 20,000 plus ocean miles, getting ready to head out again in 14 months onboard a 34 foot boat, to live a simple (sweet) life. I am not anything special or unique, just a regular American gal ready to go play in the great blue world.

Don't believe all you see on TV, most of my (American) friends are pretty adventuous, love to camp, and can handle hardships with pluck and style.

Cheers,
Erika
Old 22-02-2011, 22:35   #133
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

as a bloke im in total agreement with ocean girl and zeehag,there is a new breed of single women out there,every bit as adventurous as their male counterparts.

can think of six female friends who own boats,3 of them with boats in the 50 ft range,one has just gone off to nz to go sailing,one crossing the atlantic,solo,one doing a refit in turkey,two with classic yachts kept and sailed on a shoestring,with no amenities,another that has just got back from cape horn............,got another friend looking for a bigger boat that she single hands,with her 3 under 14yr old kids

oh and just thought of another 2 girly friends they are both super yacht skippers driving 40meter power boats........

these people,if they do get drawn to land it is not for home comforts,but rather the neccesity of proper schooling for their kids.....................
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2011, 23:23   #134

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

My wife defies your stereotypes.
She is so beautiful that when we were entering my sister's wedding some guy that I had never met before stopped me to ask what my secret was, how could a guy like me (normal looking guy with a normal job) ever have a woman so stunning.
She teaches me how deal with diesels and outboards. I'm the Porsche mechanic, she was an MK in the Coast Guard and the first female ever to strike MK ( choose all on-the-job training rather than a 2 week school).
She rescued Navy Seals when they flipped their RHI in 30' surf.

You guys need to choose when you're sober.

Seriously, don't ever buy a car when you're drunk, don't ever form a business partnership when you're drunk, and don't ever, ever, choose a mate when you're drunk.

Nah, forget about it. Your preconceived notions will prevent you from choosing a woman with any self confidence, any ideas of her own, any skills, or any intelligence. Just settle for the next fake blond floozy with great cleavage. Anyone else will be too uppity for you.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 01:43   #135

Hi, I have sailed about 25,000 miles with my wife and both she and I need the comforts of hot water, a dry bed and and a boat that sails well which includes a good motor when there is no wind. Without thoses fetures we would not have cruised for so long.
ideeal is offline   Reply With Quote