Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 14-02-2011, 14:22   #46

Boat: Davidson 46, 14m LOA
And here I was thinking that women are people and that people are individuals and that what works for one might not work for another. Huh, silly me!

The previous owner of our boat made some modifications to try and entice his beloved into the whole cruising lifestyle (didn't work) and that included an innersprung mattress for the master bunk, electric heads, decent showers and a large inverter. Both my wife and I appreciate all of these things .... but I don't think any of them are absolutely necessary for us.

My wife recently did an 8 day passage from Fiji to NZ on a boat with no hot water, manual heads, no showers, simple squabs on the bunks (and the leaks ensured that every bunk came with a free shower) and she survived just fine. She even enjoyed it. Wow .... fancy that.

Old 14-02-2011, 16:10   #47

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Truly entertaining!

Personally I try not to have to use a hair dryer, curling irons just burn the heck out of one's hair, and I really would like to get back to using only a few products to maintain...

Now, in regards to the toilet paper...you boys try dealing with some of the biological factors us girls have to, the fact peeing standing up and well, shaking....that is just not an option...

In American culture at least we are expected to have no body hair and smell good all the time.

Most of you boys want a 'girlie-girl' who doesn't require any of the maintenance...

Well I am trying as hard as I can to unsubscribe from those requirements...I cut four inches off the hair a few weeks ago and am having an extremely strong desire to cut it all off real soon...

Not all women want or require the same things...some actually LOVE sailing/cruising so much that they are willing to streamline their beauty regimen

Carry on....

Old 14-02-2011, 17:44   #48

Boat: Beneteau 40CC Oceanus 1998
Hillarious Thread.

For me I can do without any of the toys...but HE cant. So I get to enjoy too I suppose, although he moans and frets about amp usage. Doh turn somehting off man!!!!

BUT toilet paper in baggies?????????????????

My god....I'm sorry that is just a step too far for me personally.

Regards Clare:-)
Old 14-02-2011, 18:00   #49

Where were you when I passed through, twice??!!
Old 14-02-2011, 18:03   #50

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
I get a lot of woman onboard, so this is In general -and was surprised to find out how much toilet paper they use consistently compared to me/men- figure 1-2 rolls a week per woman verse 1 roll every 3-4 weeks for a man !I buy any toilet paper and the heads have no trouble sucking them down and out! Seems most of them like a hair dryer/blower that takes a big inverter- One woman brought about 10 pair of shoes for a week charter, so some need more living room to put there stuff!! Nice clean sheets/ pillows /Shampoo/conditioner & face moisturizer

Ram,

interested to know what type of marine head you have and would recommend if building a cat for liveaboard.

Cheers
Old 14-02-2011, 18:15   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
a Cat O Nine Tails

Gotta keep the crew in line
Old 14-02-2011, 18:19   #52

I can, in all honesty, and with other foolishness aside, recommend the Raritan PHII. It's easy to install, repair, and rebuild, and works. I rebuilt mine 4 years ago and it's just now starting to need it. And I've been living aboard the whole time, sometimes with guests.

It just works.
Old 15-02-2011, 06:35   #53
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Ram,

interested to know what type of marine head you have and would recommend if building a cat for liveaboard.

Cheers
Mine get a lot of hard use, need an overhaul every 2 years to work perfect
JABSCO
Twist'n'Lock Compact Manual Head
Customer Reviews
West marine sells them new $179
I
Old 15-02-2011, 07:40   #54

If you need to replace your head, I really recommend the Raritan PHII - mine gets hard use, too, and lasts at least 4 years between rebuilds. Moreover, it's easy to take apart and put back together. I can run a nuclear reactor but have only 50% success in rebuilding the Jabsco heads. Too complicated.
Old 15-02-2011, 07:50   #55
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

JABSCO Twist'n'Lock Compact Manual Head at West Marine
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_sailor View Post
I can run a nuclear reactor but have only 50% success in rebuilding the Jabsco heads. Too complicated.
Come on man rebuilding those are Childs play I could do it with my eyes close in 5 minutes- wonder if were talking about the same head here?
Old 15-02-2011, 07:56   #56

Boat: Hans Christian 33
These conversations always turn to poo.

We have lived aboard for 6 years now and have found that the built in shower was a big plus. The instant water heater has been a great plus too. The wife loves the electric push button head. We have also installed a 1500 watt inverter, but would not use a blow dryer on it.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 07:59   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Basically double or triple your own consumption of things to allow for a female on board. For the Bahamas and Keys - the biggest plus would be a watermaker as lugging water jugs can get rather irritating to you when she is using what - as a man - you consider too much.
- - The second most important thing and some consider it the most important is good communications equipment for wifi/skype/cell phones. If she can talk to her family and friends easily - or reasonably easily - that will go a long way to ensuring a happy time. I would suggest that one of the major negatives is her feeling "trapped" with nobody but you to communicate with and "Spartan" amounts of daily water/etc. Being able to easily communicate with family/friends puts her into a good frame of mind as she "brags" to others about her "adventures in the wild."
Old 15-02-2011, 08:02   #58

I just looked at one online. Yes, we are - the fiddly bits in the top where the 'switch' is are where I've seen them fail mostly, and unless the design has changed in the last few years I've just found them difficult to deal with. It's (or was) too easy to put together wrong.

This may be one of those discussions that are near religious. I'm sure there are people that support Jabsco, others Raritan, others Groco. If you're happy with yours and I'm happy with mine then it really doesn't matter.

True, Jabsco heads are less expensive than Raritan which may be a big draw. Sometimes, depending on your financial situation, it's almost cheaper to replace the head rather than rebuild it.

To paraphrase, I don't have to agree with your choice but I would defend to the death your right to choose what ever head you want. Well, maybe not to the death. :-)
Old 15-02-2011, 08:16   #59
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_sailor View Post
I just looked at one online. Yes, we are - the fiddly bits in the top where the 'switch' is are where I've seen them fail mostly, and unless the design has changed in the last few years I've just found them difficult to deal with. It's (or was) too easy to put together wrong.

This may be one of those discussions that are near religious. I'm sure there are people that support Jabsco, others Raritan, others Groco. If you're happy with yours and I'm happy with mine then it really doesn't matter.

True, Jabsco heads are less expensive than Raritan which may be a big draw. Sometimes, depending on your financial situation, it's almost cheaper to replace the head rather than rebuild it.

To paraphrase, I don't have to agree with your choice but I would defend to the death your right to choose what ever head you want. Well, maybe not to the death. :-)
Sure I agree with most of your statement but its really very easy to overhaul ,perhaps they have changed them , the rebuild kits are about $50-60 bucks , a bit high- I run commerical charters so I get a LOT of people and they get flushed maybe 10 + times a day in season
Old 15-02-2011, 09:10   #60
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag
if this is a favorite toilet thread-- put me down for baby blake. damngoodpotties.lol.
the crappy marine toilet paper is no good-- vanishes in hand---lol charmin ultramegatoughpaperhugerolls is what i buy and use in my boat--it goes into bags which then are squashed down into smaller sized trash and bagged for shore. easy.

no hair heat. no hair wind unless the gods give it to me, and i keep long hair, which is already somewhat curlee, so i dont need to heat bend it.
my electricity doesnt disappear for days. then it regenerates self nicely........
no topside leaks, is nice.

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: