Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 11:15   #421

Re: A Woman's Needs

Women are all different. Your first and most important lesson should be that fact...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:13   #422
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Art, I am a little unclear. Are you really trying to say in your last few posts that any female enjoying the simple cruising lifestyle and living without hair curlers and high heels is not "civilised" or "desirable"?
sounds like artie is into superficiality not reality--is a huge difference-- civil-ized is not superficial-- one contradicts the other.....

superficial felames do not sail.

no is not a typo.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:24   #423

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
artm--i have no use for television of any sort. nor have i use for anything golf.
A potential cruising partner might.

I guess I'd rather choose a boat to match my choice of a woman, than to choose a woman to match my choice of boat.

But then, I have a woman and not a boat. If a had a boat, but not a woman then I might see this differently!
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:31   #424

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
A potential cruising partner might.

I guess I'd rather choose a boat to match my choice of a woman, than to choose a woman to match my choice of boat.

But then, I have a woman and not a boat. If a had a boat, but not a woman then I might see this differently!
amigo--you sound like a true lover of land.
here we cruise sans television. aint any signal--why bother.
potential cruising partners who cannot lose the remote, i have found, also cannot give up land in order to sail far enough to go anywhere.
my formosa came with a shakespeare antenna missing half the pieces--is gone. the spreaders on my mizzen look so much better sans bs that doesnt belong at sea or on a cruise.
those who NEED tv to make their day do not end up leaving the safety of their stillwater dock and the signals their lil cutesie dish brings to them.
i have been watching this kind of balderdash since 1990. rodl.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:37   #425

Quote:
amigo--you sound like a true lover of land.
here we cruise sans television. aint any signal--why bother.
potential cruising partners who cannot lose the remote, i have found, also cannot give up land in order to sail far enough to go anywhere.
my formosa came with a shakespeare antenna missing half the pieces--is gone. the spreaders on my mizzen look so much better sans bs that doesnt belong at sea or on a cruise.
those who NEED tv to make their day do not end up leaving the safety of their stillwater dock and the signals their lil cutesie dish brings to them.
i have been watching this kind of balderdash since 1990. rodl.
I think you're mistaking me for someone else. I'm used to thinking of women in the terms you just described. It's very entertaining to see that women are finding these same features in men.

The "get up and go" crowd rarely take into account the impact that an exwife, two kids, and a hefty child support payment can have. Until mermaids start spouting thousand dollar bills onto decks of sailboats and commercial airlines start landing at sea, I'll be here for a while. Even so, just because I'm land locked don't assume that I am "locked at dock". I rarely see my "dock" - I only go there to be with my kids.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:41   #426
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Being smelly, poorly dressed, and eating without utensils can be considered uncivilised by that standard as well.
I think we may be fishing in different pools .

Having said that, in general I think you are onto something with the civilised / uncivilised woman theme -ignore Carsten's wimpy touchy feely comments and stick to yer guns and go for it!

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:49   #427

Quote:
I think you're mistaking me for someone else. I'm used to thinking of women in the terms you just described. It's very entertaining to see that women are finding these same features in men.

The "get up and go" crowd rarely take into account the impact that an exwife, two kids, and a hefty child support payment can have. Until mermaids start spouting thousand dollar bills onto decks of sailboats and commercial airlines start landing at sea, I'll be here for a while. Even so, just because I'm land locked don't assume that I am "locked at dock". I rarely see my "dock" - I only go there to be with my kids.
violins, now--

i was done in financially by 2 donkeys who referred to selves as men of human persuasion--guess what--they were not civil. i lost EVERYTHING in a no fault state due to the thievery of the second donkey's butt.... and i still managed to find a way to overcome that balderdash and survive and rise above.
if i can, with disabilities, so can ANYONE else.
the excuse of wifee stealing all in a nasty deevorse only reinforces the need for souls to take responsibility for their own actions. i did with mine--i even raised my kid sans court ordered child support--the jerk number one refused to honor court order.
sukit up and succeed.
no mercy- go for it and stop whining about past bs.
THE BEST REVENGE IS SUCCESS. now show us this side of you. when your attitude changes, mebbe you might find a soul to accompany you on paths of adventure.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:55   #428

Quote:
no mercy- go for it and stop whining about past bs.
THE BEST REVENGE IS SUCCESS. now show us this side of you. when your attitude changes, mebbe you might find a soul to accompany you on paths of adventure.
Whining about the past? I'm telling a story about the present and the future, not about the past.

Did you just suggest that I should abandon both my children AND my court-ordered child support so I can take up a life at sea? Or maybe you mean that I should kidnap the kids and take them with me?

If you did, that's OK - I'm not judging your intent. Both suggestions have their appeal! I just wanted to be sure I didn't misunderstand you.

In any case, I'm not going to do that. Instead, I'll be using my 4 year window to plan and prepare.
Old 01-11-2012, 13:18   #429

Quote:
Whining about the past? I'm telling a story about the present and the future, not about the past.

Did you just suggest that I should abandon both my children AND my court-ordered child support so I can take up a life at sea? Or maybe you mean that I should kidnap the kids and take them with me?

If you did, that's OK - I'm not judging your intent. Both suggestions have their appeal! I just wanted to be sure I didn't misunderstand you.

In any case, I'm not going to do that. Instead, I'll be using my 4 year window to plan and prepare.
at least you profess to live up to your responsibilities , as regards your children.that is a beautiful thing. you gained 2 steps on the man vs ape scale....now prove you can do it by showing you are successful and gonna do something for real.
kidnapping isnt the way to go not only is illegal, but isnt civil-ized--that came from your own brane, no one else's.--we have read numerous times about that kind of balderdash and the results of it, and if you even think i am into that, you dont read well. i mean exactly what i say. not what you THINK i said. lol ..there is a huge difference.
Old 01-11-2012, 13:23   #430

Quote:
at least you profess to live up to your responsibilities , as regards your children.that is a beautiful thing.
I'm surprised by how many woman have said this too me - I wouldn't expect it to be that rare in civilized society.

I don't talk about doing things that I don't plan to do. Now plans may change between now and then, wants and needs may change, but I can promise you that I don't "just talk".

My hope (diminishing hope) is that I can use the 4-5 years to construct and execute a plan that reduces the cost of acquiring and keeping a good cruising boat. It's occurred to me that a different woman might cost less, but I have no assurance of that and it really doesn't strike me as a civilized approach to life in general.
Old 01-11-2012, 14:39   #431

boat will cost you more than the woman you will sail with. unless ye screw up and find wrong wench.

sailing with others on their boats is a good way to do the cruising thing on a part time basis--doesnt cost much and helps out the one ye cruise with in many respects--safety, companionship, watch time split up so isnt only one set of eyes---also help ye get to know what ye will need on your own boat and even what kind of boat you find easiest or most fun or most comfortable to sail.
Old 01-11-2012, 15:20   #432

Quote:
boat will cost you more than the woman you will sail with. unless ye screw up and find wrong wench.

sailing with others on their boats is a good way to do the cruising thing on a part time basis--doesnt cost much and helps out the one ye cruise with in many respects--safety, companionship, watch time split up so isnt only one set of eyes---also help ye get to know what ye will need on your own boat and even what kind of boat you find easiest or most fun or most comfortable to sail.
I'm thinking of this as a possible new plan "A". I know that my partner will not want to be alone on a boat for long periods of time, and I already know that if we have our own boat she'll constantly be inviting strays on board.

We've talked about taking some charters for variety, and possibly some income to offset the high cost of such a large boat.

And we've talked about the possibility of traveling with others on their boats. I don't think I would want to make a full-time lifestyle like that, but I am thinking it'll be a good way to start at minimal cost and commitment.

I've seen postings by others doing this kind of thing, and they are largely more experienced (MUCH more experienced) than I am, so I'm really thinking about the practicality of this approach.

I have a lot of experience with this kind of lifestyle, but more on land coaches than on sailboats.
Old 01-11-2012, 15:43   #433

lol ... mebbe a crewed charter for a few days then another time on other peoples boats then bareboat , then more opb, then....

i LOVE live aboard cruising--i am full time, and own no house but the coach house on my formosa. then i never could afford a house what with single parenting a son of a derelict dad....yada yada yada....moved aboard my first boat in 1990 and have yet to look back.
Old 01-11-2012, 16:01   #434

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Well..............I just made it through all 29 pages. How I could have missed it before I don't know.

Amazing the amount of hypocrisy though.

edit - I just looked back and that was when I was working a LOT and planning for and on a cruise for end of March and all of April.
Old 01-11-2012, 16:30   #435

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:

You get a huge round of applause from me, Art. My husband and I have delayed our plans for MANY years in order to take care of the people we love. We don't regret it, would do it again in a heartbeat, and would give up the dream altogether if someone we love really needed us.

Unless you kick the bucket early you will have plenty of time for sailing, but your children will only be young once and the bonds you forge with them now, and the way you model responsibility and relationships to them, will last the rest of their lives. When you do finally make it out onto the waves you can do so knowing you were a stand up guy, and a good father, first. You acted out of love instead of selfishness. Hopefully your kids will actually want to join you out there someday instead of referring to you as "that selfish s.o.b." for the rest of their lives.

Sailing and adventure are important. Freedom is important. The call of the sea for some of us is extremely powerful. But the day we place our selfish desires above our responsibility to, and our love for, the others in our lives (especially others we GAVE life), that is the day we truly become uncivilized.