Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 08:26   #406
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: A Woman's Needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
please define civilization and civilized.
My take on living "civilised" is that whilst someone could live using only a hairshirt and a bucket - most would want more by the way of creature comforts / mod cons.

For men that likely to involve shiney stuff with buttons For Women that likely stuff which smells nice .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:39   #407
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
For men that likely to involve shiney stuff with buttons For Women that likely stuff which smells nice .
Hum...I don't know...I could get pretty excited with a new broadband radar or another solar panel.. OK..Throw some perfume on it and its a win win....
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:41   #408
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i already have that--just need it installed...
what if the lady has everything she considers necessary other than a companion and good friend sort on board.......

and mebbe another 9' avon roll up and small ob engine..LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:48   #409

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Wants and needs are not really that clear cut for humans - nor for animals, for that matter. Our needs are much more expansive, and they include having reasonable access to our "wants" - though "wants" can change with experience and opportunity.

There are many men and women who "want" to continue being men and women - not caged animals. For many women - including the kind of woman I have with me - that means maintaining a "civilized" lifestyle.
Don't really know what I need or want?
Caged animal?
Uncivilised because I don't use hair curlers?

Wow!!!!!!!! Maybe you and I do come from different planets LOL.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:49   #410

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
i already have that--just need it installed...
what if the lady has everything she considers necessary other than a companion and good friend sort on board.......

and mebbe another 9' avon roll up and small ob engine..LOL
That's another thread.

This one started more than a year ago, but was about a lady coming on board for the first time.

Zeehag, do you have a putting green on that boat? Do you think you'd have space to put one in? Or maybe just something simple, like a satellite dish?
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:51   #411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Don't really know what I need or want?
Caged animal?
Uncivilised because I don't use hair curlers?

Wow!!!!!!!! Maybe we do come from different planets LOL.
Do you use forks? Read books (for entertainment)? Huddle below something more substantial than a plastic tarp on rainy days? That is civilization!
Old 01-11-2012, 09:06   #412

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Do you use forks? Read books (for entertainment)? Huddle below something more substantial than a plastic tarp on rainy days? That is civilization!
I thought the definition of "uncivilised" was "being offensive, impolite and bad mannered"!

Old 01-11-2012, 09:14   #413

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I thought the definition of "uncivilised" was "being offensive, impolite and bad mannered"!
Being smelly, poorly dressed, and eating without utensils can be considered uncivilised by that standard as well.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:28   #414

so--why do folks live to standards that may be un-civil-ized....

and why do so many place emphasis on the material side of living? means nothing--the attitude and interactive side is more important...

curlers?? we dont need no stinkin curlers....LOL or shoes or other inbred acoutrements of alleged civilized living.
we dont need the tall cage buildings, we dont need the other bs incorporated into that scenario--we only CHOOSE to live in it, as we have the means to change that which we must endure daily to make the adventure compatible with living--which doesnt really take much----
folks do not realize what is actually NECESSARY for living happily and with satisfaction in achievements and circumstances....most of us NEED less than we dream we do.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:33   #415

Quote:
so--why do folks live to standards that may be un-civil-ized....
There are many views of what is civilized or uncivilized. In the west, we consider arranged marriages, eating with fingers, and sleeping on the floor to be uncivilized. In the East, even the well educated do all these things while wearing the richest of clothing inside golden palaces.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:33   #416

Boat: OEM, proportional

Quote:
Being smelly, poorly dressed, and eating without utensils can be considered uncivilised by that standard as well.
A civilised person might be living like that due to circumstances. Scumbags on the other hand might be living in the lap of luxury, and still be just uncivilised scumbags. It has more to do with morals and character than appearances and belongings.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:39   #417

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
A civilised person might be living like that due to circumstances. Scumbags on the other hand might be living in the lap of luxury, and still be just uncivilised scumbags. It has more to do with morals and character than appearances and belongings.
And some people prefer to meet both sets of standards, including (as has been mentioned) the kind of woman that many men find most desirable. I once told my wife (early in the relationship) that I would find her just as beautiful if she stopped wearing makeup and dressed every day in sweatpants. Wow - I did not get the response I expected.

I know her much better now. She, like most women, is complicated and can't be easily summarized by a few common stereotypes. She is not the cheapest or the easiest, but she does add a lot of richness to my life, so I in return work to add equal richness to hers.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:48   #418

my momma and her momma had essentially arranged marriages--that was considered civilized in the elitist sector(old money and power) i rebelled when it came my turn, but, then i was not taught how to date, as no one else knew that...lol

is not the material goods one has that makes him or her civilized--is how one treats other souls sharing this earth.
civil-ized....keep it simple so less is missed when the bad guy messes with ye--whether spousal unit or stranger. (opinion, of course.)

there are more bad guys in alleged civilization than there are in the wilds, as it were.
civility and civilization have nothing to do with stinkypits or whatchagot. isnt even whatchaget in the divorce...
seems over my years i have found it isnt what ye got that makes ye civilized-- citified usa is most uncivil-ized place i ever lived, i find out very time i go anywhere.

"Zeehag, do you have a putting green on that boat? Do you think you'd have space to put one in? Or maybe just something simple, like a satellite dish?"

artm--i have no use for television of any sort. nor have i use for anything golf.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:27   #419

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
And some people prefer to meet both sets of standards, including (as has been mentioned) the kind of woman that many men find most desirable. I once told my wife (early in the relationship) that I would find her just as beautiful if she stopped wearing makeup and dressed every day in sweatpants. Wow - I did not get the response I expected.

I know her much better now. She, like most women, is complicated and can't be easily summarized by a few common stereotypes. She is not the cheapest or the easiest, but she does add a lot of richness to my life, so I in return work to add equal richness to hers.
Art, I am a little unclear. Are you really trying to say in your last few posts that any female enjoying the simple cruising lifestyle and living without hair curlers and high heels is not "civilised" or "desirable"?

Old 01-11-2012, 10:50   #420

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Art

I can hear the knives being sharpened and the guns loaded. Were I you, i would:

1- beat a fast and orderly but dignified retreat
2-take my own life and put my sorry ass out of its misery
3-claim insanity
4- load up the fifty caliber and go down fighting
5-apologize profusely claiming you have been drinking/smoking something you shouldn't have been

Personaly I would do all of the above with the exception of number four. But then I'm a known coward.

Good luck!!!!!

Jes' sayin'

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote