Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 08-12-2011, 23:47   #346

Re: A Woman's Needs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Hairy is fine. Stinky isn't.
Query: I'm clean shaven (hate beards). Can I have an earring? What about a tasteful tattoo?
Sure ~ just don't expect everyone else to love it as much as you might!

Old 09-12-2011, 04:40   #347
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
[Screeching brakes]
............ if most had to choose between being stuck on a boat on a stinking hot day, sweating like hell in a screaming easterly while a raving skipper goes out of his mind over something trivial ... or sipping chilled martinis with their girlfriends at the club, I think the choice would be easy for many of them.
Will have to get rid of the #@&^*&&# boat if you are going to be talking about me in public like this

Old 09-12-2011, 04:50   #348
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: A Woman's Needs

Quote:
[I think it's a shame that more women don't sail but to be honest, if most had to choose between being stuck on a boat on a stinking hot day, sweating like hell in a screaming easterly while a raving skipper goes out of his mind over something trivial ... or sipping chilled martinis with their girlfriends at the club, I think the choice would be easy for many of them.

Again, a wild generalisation but my point is that if sailing were a more pleasant experience for women, perhaps more of them would go?

Just putting it out there, not in a critical or judgemental way

cheers!
S
I'd rather be sippin Martini's with your girlfriends as well.....

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:54   #349
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
. . . Again, a wild generalisation but my point is that if sailing were a more pleasant experience for women, perhaps more of them would go? . . . cheers! S
Ah, getting back to the Thread subject rather than rehashing the old SSSSM discussion - - The above is quite a relevant insight to this discussion, IMHO.

- - I would also offer the wild generalization that sailing on a nice fully equipped big catamaran would be more attractive for women (and a lot of men). The idea being that it is more like a small resort experience or micro cruise ship experience and you can bring most of their "necessities" along with them.

- - However, it seems, for a lot of the men posting on CF, cruising is split between the desire to escape their present existence or strike out for a grand exploration of the world. That seems to drive them to more compact, efficient and K.I.S.S. type boats.

- - So finding a woman whose needs are compatible with full time extended cruising boats and the men who sail them is, IMHO, extremely difficult, if not near impossible. It is not such a problem for sabbatical or vacation type cruising where there is a defined end point and a return to land living. It's the often heard, "Well, he's had his fun, now it is time to return back to land."

- - In a decade of active full time cruising I have met many hundreds of cruising couples and can count of one hand the number of women whose needs are satisfied by such a lifestyle. And amongst the few, there are some who prefer to sail single-handed rather than have to put up with a man on board full time.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:57   #350
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Courtesy of "The Northern Pikes":

"... I fell in love with a model from hell
It took some time for my hormones to tell
That chasing her has been a grave mistake
She ain't pretty she just looks that way
Her ego wrote cheques incredibly fast
But her personality didn't have the cash
I laughed out loud to my total dismay
She ain't pretty she just looks that way ..."

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:06   #351
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

It always makes me wonder when 1 person of a couple posts what it takes to get the other to cruise etc.

If one doesn't understand what te other wants/needs ................. are they really a couple/partners or just a couple of people (friends that sleep together)?
Old 09-12-2011, 07:51   #352

Boat: Bristol 38.8

It's another overgeneralization, but IMHO women tend to prefer nesting in one place, men like to wander. It's genetic, I think, based on the fact that women produce offspring.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:21   #353
Armchair Bucketeer

IMO it probably comes down to the fact that for most women (and even most men!) that Sailing is a combination of the dull and scary (especially if not doing the interesting Skipper part) - kinda like being pillion on a motorbike, combined with Crochet .

Plus women tend be a bit more polite (subtle?) than to say: "I simply don't think you are up to it as Skipper".....(YMMV ).

A floating RV / Condo somewhere warm is another thing
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:01   #354

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon
It's another overgeneralization, but IMHO women tend to prefer nesting in one place, men like to wander. It's genetic, I think, based on the fact that women produce offspring.
I am a female wanderer-I've always had a desire to go somewhere new, see & do something new. I do understand that I'm not the norm. I do agree that if a boat that has room for some things from a regular home makes it nicer & easier for us. I've lived aboard for ~4 yrs & can't imagine moving to land. I think wiith our boat, I can wander & nest at the same time because I take my home with me! Best is No packing!
Old 09-12-2011, 09:25   #355
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey
IMO it probably comes down to the fact that for most women (and even most men!) that Sailing is a combination of the dull and scary (especially if not doing the interesting Skipper part) - kinda like being pillion on a motorbike, combined with Crochet .

Plus women tend be a bit more polite (subtle?) than to say: "I simply don't think you are up to it as Skipper".....(YMMV ).

A floating RV / Condo somewhere warm is another thing
When I used to fly a lot it was nothing to do 10 hour days cross country only stopping for gas and lunch. On long trips we'd do a dinner and a hotel and I was eager to get on to the next place the next day.

When I asked her why she didn't seem to enthusiastic about flying she said, "You don't get it. For you it is about the journey. For me it is about the destination."

Wow! That really struck home. Sitting in the right seat for hours and hours while I enjoyed all the intracacies of flying, navigating and communicating must have been boring as hell. I started planning 1 day fly and 2 day stay type trips to balance things out. Even with passengers along the flying part was only for me. For everyone else Catalina was the goal, for me it was a cool place to fly and have lunch...

Sailing is much more sociable and everyone enjoys the journey because everyone can be involved if they want.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:33   #356
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
I am a female wanderer-I've always had a desire to go somewhere new, see & do something new. I do understand that I'm not the norm. I do agree that if a boat that has room for some things from a regular home makes it nicer & easier for us. I've lived aboard for ~4 yrs & can't imagine moving to land. I think wiith our boat, I can wander & nest at the same time because I take my home with me! Best is No packing!
I know quite a few female wanderers and a fair share of male couch potatoes. I don't think the men would call it nesting, vegetating maybe?

I come from a family of three brothers. The first five years of my adult life I spent hitchhiking across North America with a guitar and blanket to my name. My brothers haven't really gone far from home and I've never put down roots.

I don't know what makes some people restless. I do know I have a lot of curiosity and maybe it has something to do with that. Yesterday morning I woke up thinking about the speed of light and Einsteins special relativity. There is an earth like planet in the Keppler system, some 600 light years away. From an earth perspective it takes light 600 years to travel from there but from the perspective of the photon, according to special relativity, it is instantaneous. The universe is an astounding place!

It's a long way to sail at 5 knots.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:47   #357
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

"As far as finding the flower in the crabgrass comment in regards to American women? The better hunting grounds are not delineated by country. They are delineated by proximity to boating. Hang out a lot where boaters hang out. At least you will find women that share a boating interest.

- - So finding a woman whose needs are compatible with full time extended cruising boats and the men who sail them is, IMHO, extremely difficult, if not near impossible. It is not such a problem for sabbatical or vacation type cruising where there is a defined end point and a return to land living. It's the often heard, "Well, he's had his fun, now it is time to return back to land."

- - In a decade of active full time cruising I have met many hundreds of cruising couples and can count of one hand the number of women whose needs are satisfied by such a lifestyle. And amongst the few, there are some who prefer to sail single-handed rather than have to put up with a man on board full time."

"so many quotes with all the same theme--how no one can find a sailing female for companionship....LOL..... there are MANY out here who are solo sailorettes, yet not one MAN to meet....LOL.. mebbe in another country-- gawd knows men from usa are wimps and not worthy of companionship---cannot sail. either...."
now, how do you "clowns" feel about that--is exactly what you have kept saying about women. mebbe you will find a decent sailorette when you quit the female bashing you practice in this thread.... but, then , mebbe not....

i hope y'all notice i didnt pick on only one of you male types--i used many quotes from many of you ... seems to be a theme here pof fem,ale downgrading-- you do not give females any credit for having:
brains
ability
character
common sense
you only see the money grubbing side of females, you will get only that side.

try looking a lil harder towards the character of the female with whom you intend to sleep and travel . some of you have found ladies with what you seek-- the ones who havent, have not been looking.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:08   #358
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag

try looking a lil harder towards the character of the female with whom you intend to sleep and travel . some of you have found ladies with what you seek-- the ones who havent, have not been looking.
Sleep?????

They cook, they clean, they sew my sails, they do my laundry "and" I get to sleep with them? No one told me that part.

I am definitely getting one for my boat!

PS - I agree with everything you said. (can I have the remote back...)

And guys - when zee finds that island with the perfect guys on it we are all up the proverbial crapper creek...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:34   #359
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Sleep?????

They cook, they clean, they sew my sails, they do my laundry "and" I get to sleep with them? No one told me that part.

I am definitely getting one for my boat!

PS - I agree with everything you said. (can I have the remote back...)

And guys - when zee finds that island with the perfect guys on it we are all up the proverbial crapper creek...

rofl--you one lucky mon, dood..lol..... you can even keep da remote..LOL

as far as THE perfect one, da buicks sang a song--" the perfect woman"---but , to date, no one has written nor sung a song about the perfect man.... so, what does that tell us all......

mebbe there is only one perfect one for each of us and most of us are yet to find, or are being punished by whatever force sent us here -

i would LOVE to find that island.....hope one of those men is good with electricity.....

zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:46   #360
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
rofl--you one lucky mon, dood..lol..... you can even keep da remote..LOL

as far as THE perfect one, da buicks sang a song--" the perfect woman"---but , to date, no one has written nor sung a song about the perfect man.... so, what does that tell us all......

mebbe there is only one perfect one for each of us and most of us are yet to find, or are being punished by whatever force sent us here -

i would LOVE to find that island.....hope one of those men is good with electricity.....

They made a movie called "The Perfect Man" a while back. I can't say I saw it.

Here's Lady Day with enough pining for all:

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: