Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 18-04-2011, 20:46   #241

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: A Woman's Needs

Gotta disagree with you, DOJ... we had a plaque in the head that read,
'PLEASE REMEMBER, WHEN AT SEA,
EVEN MEN SIT DOWN TO PEE.'
We tried to keep the blue jobs and pink jobs as interchangeable as we could although oil changes and engine room work usually fell into the blue bucket.
When we first moved aboard, I knew I was out of my depth and left the decorating to my lady friend, later to become my wife. It turned out heaps better than if I had been doing it myself or trying to give direction. Truth be told, the trust we developed bringing a tired old boat back to life and making it a home laid the foundation for a lifetime of good times and rich memories. Later, when we sold the boat and moved aboard a larger powerboat, we crossed paths with our former floating home. We started down the dock to check her out but only got to within 10 meters and my wife burst into tears at the signs of neglect, turned and ran back up the dock. I mention this because developing a healthy dose of sensitivity is pretty damned important to a woman, I believe... cheers, Capt Phil

Old 18-04-2011, 23:48   #242

Boat: Islander 33 - 1966 flat top

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Example from 20yrs ago.... ...
2 weeks before I sailed lady No1 stated she was selling up to join me on my voyage south... ok I said sort out some gear and bring it on board.. leave the rest at your Mom's and we'll head off.
Following week I get back from work and the boats floating below its waterline by nearly 6in....
Panic subsided when I looked inside and saw the saloon piled near to the roof with black bin liners full of clothes etc... just then she pulled up with a car full of more stuff...

This is a sad & strange story. Did you not know the woman was such a materialist? Did you two never talk of your dreams and practical, realistic plans for living them? Did she know so little about sailing? Did you not bother to teach her?
Not all 1st world women are materialistic bimbos and not all 3rd world women are sex kitten saints.
One of the things I love about my man is that he's not a materialist. The ocean is more important to him than a bunch of gadgets. One of the things he loves about me is that I can LEAVE BEHIND the make-up, clothes, shoes, and all that materialist crap and enjoy water, wind, and waves. And yes, I love my 1st world comforts as much as any American gal ... but I can drop it all in a heartbeat for the experience of clear blue water, a ride to shore on a leaky dinghy, and the chance to hike a wilderness island.
My main requirement is that the v-berth be large enough so me & my man can sleep side by side and keep each other warm & happy when the chill fog rolls in.
To all you men disappointed by bad, silly women, good luck finding real genuine gals who love the ocean as much as you do. Materialist bimbos live in all countries and so do women with hearts of gold. Finding someone suited to the sailing life is rare but search with a true heart and you will find true love & the right woman.

Old 19-04-2011, 02:39   #243

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Good post NatKat. Welcome aboard.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 04:33   #244
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatKat View Post
One of the things he loves about me is that I can LEAVE BEHIND the make-up, clothes, shoes, and all that materialist crap and enjoy water, wind, and waves.
[/FONT]
Oh wow. You have make-up and shoes? Lucky girl!

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 04:58   #245

Boat: sold

We have blue jobs & pink jobs but there is more... We have a blue side of the boat & a pink side. (each with its own head & cleaning equipment!!) That is why it is a cat.
Old 19-04-2011, 05:57   #246
Tam

Boat: Bayliner, Ciera 2855

To all the girls who think you need all the extras, you don't. Men go crazy for girls whose cheeks are sunkissed and hair is windblown that smell like sunscreen and fresh air. Guys, if we think you think we look great then we can go without the extras, after all it's you we're trying to look good for.

My boat is mostly all girls (since our husbands have all taken the garage for their hiding spot we have my boat). I realized the reason we can't get them on board when we do invite them is because they feel incompetent and awkward just sitting there while the women handle the boat. Now we play to their ego by saying I can't do this or that, I need help. This is too heavy, that is too complicated, etc. Then they are happy to be there. So guys, again, if she thinks she looks great to you natural and windblown then she'll be happy to leave the extras at home. I for one don't even allow nailpolish on my boat. I HATE pink and red scuff marks everywhere.

If you love the cruising life and fall for someone who doesn't, well, they'll just have to get used to you being away from home alot.
Old 19-04-2011, 05:58   #247
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

What's these "blue and pink" jobs you people refer to? On our boat there's just Don's jobs and watchers!

So ............. maybe what a women "needs" on a boat is a Don!
Old 19-04-2011, 06:17   #248

You may not realise it, but you, Sir are a sexist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Ms.Lau and Erinsavov, and all those who applaud them.

You females have got a lot to learn about being 'women'!

Like most men, I'm totally capable of being a disgusting lazy low life slob on my own. I don't need any help at all. And I don't need a partner who can also just muck along at that level.

I want a woman on my boat to give me a reason to rise above all that. It's why Eve was tossed into the Garden in the first place... it gave Adam a reason to make the Garden nice. The result? Adam liked the Garden a whole lot better too.
No woman will ever crap in a bucket on my boat. It's digusting and unnecessary, because I refuse to lower my own standards to that level. If you haven't found a man who'll 'man up', go waitress for a week and buy a goddam porta potty at least.

Here's the deal, and it's pretty simple.
I'll provide a good 'home' that's safe and has at the very least the basics, like a real head, and water and cooking facilities. It's no big deal. I'm a guy, it's what we do.

In return, all I need (and have) is a companion who appreciates it, AND has maintained a little of her female mystique, femininity and dignity.
I don't want to see tampons, know that periods are heavy this month... in fact I don't even need to know its happening, other than a comment like 'lousy timing' if the mood was heading that way... I don't even want to hear farts, and I treat her with the same courtesy.

That doesn't mean being too precious to be practical either. She rolls up her sleeves and varnishes and antifouls, and cooks and cleans.

You know what? I'm happy to go the extra mile to treat her like a princess, because the flip side is that I get treated like a king. Somehow we both think we're getting the better end of the deal.... but I know I really am...

P.S. I do raise my hat to all women who are out there living the life on their own steam
Old 19-04-2011, 07:21   #249
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

are all women ,natural hoarders,unable to throw stuff out?

do they also leave little piles of stuff lying around?

and un able to put anything back in the exact place where they found it?

prone to writing important stuff on scraps of paper,then losing it?

the reason why i ask is,my partner,mother of my children,whom has sailed twice round the world with me suffers from these foibles,and it DRIVES ME CRAZY.

in all other respects she is a wonderful,no frills girl,fearless and excellent seawoman.

being of a methodical,systematic,tidy,able to find things in the dark type of person i've noticed this trait on other female friends yachts,ie untidy and unable to find things.

the only conclusion i can draw is it must be an in-built female "nesting"trait,of having all the nessacaties of life within pecking distance,with no apparent order to the un-trained eye.

so for me,for her to become perfect, her only "need" would be tidyness and memory training............
Old 19-04-2011, 07:24   #250
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Who's a sexist?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old_sexist_ad.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	26347   Click image for larger version

Name:	National_Association_Against_Woman_Suffrage.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	26348  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 07:32   #251
Tam

Boat: Bayliner, Ciera 2855

I can eat bite for bite the same meal as my man and while his belch rocks the boat mine is inaudible.

I can use the head and he never even knows I was in there while he must announce every bowel movement with a tickertape parade.

His explanation of every problem is "don't worry about it". But he knows I DO worry about it until I hear the plan even though I know he always fixes everything.

It drives me crazy that he doesn't make lists and then when something is forgotten says to me "why didn't you remind me?"

I hate the way he thinks his guess is more accurate than the fuel gauge.

But what I love about him is the look and smile he gives me when one of my flaws shows itself, as if that flaw is the reason he loves me.
Old 19-04-2011, 10:59   #252

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Leaving aside that the head and compartment gets cleaned regularly whether it needs it or not, I find that folks in these parts have managed to work out how not to piss on there own feet. As always, YMMV
As you say, one's mileage may vary. With several dozens of crew on board before I lead the "everyone sits" rule out I can tell you with statistically surety that there is no man in existence whose aim is as good as he thinks it is. Ain't good, or as you may say "don't f&*king do that, mate."
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 13:29   #253
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
As you say, one's mileage may vary. With several dozens of crew on board before I lead the "everyone sits" rule out I can tell you with statistically surety that there is no man in existence whose aim is as good as he thinks it is. Ain't good, or as you may say "don't f&*king do that, mate."
Fair play. I guess it's another one of those cultural differences. My new rule is no shoes - if yer a fella from the States
Old 19-04-2011, 13:33   #254
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourOldNemesis View Post
You may not realise it, but you, Sir are a sexist!
And God love him for it ; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 14:08   #255

Boat: Islander 33 - 1966 flat top

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
being of a methodical,systematic,tidy,able to find things in the dark type of person i've noticed this trait on other female friends yachts,ie untidy and unable to find things.

LOL you & wife are exact opposite of Timo & I. I am the one who makes lists and stows everything in proper place. If packing the boat were up to him ... we would have random piles of stuff laying everywhere and much cussing while looking for lost items.
I appreciate what a good sailor he is and how much he knows about boats & weather ... he appreciates I pack the boat organized & comfy. I doubt he will ever become systematic or organized as I ... but I'm not the sailor he is ... we each bring something important & different to the table. That's the blessing of having someone different - when opposites attract in a good way.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: