Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-04-2011, 12:50   #196

Re: A Woman's Needs

Hi what do you thing about crossing from miami to margarita venezuela with a cruiser boat 32 feets two mercruiser and 200 gallons of gaz via bahamas , turcks , rep domi , puerto rico , guadeloupe , ect........margarita let me known if it's real life or not.

piloto

Old 03-04-2011, 13:57   #197

Boat: O' day 27

It's kind of off topic unless, of course, if your talking about a trip with your significant other. However, It depends on what kind of boat. So many varibles. Have you done any blue water cruising? What are size of the engines in relation to fuel consumption? Have they been maintained? Instrumentation, passports, Time of year, etc. Then there is another whole reality within the ordeal with pirates etc. Too many varibles in play here to make an educated conclusion. Talk to other people that cruise the area that are more familier. They have an idea where it is safer to go and where not to go. Bottom line? If you are unsure don't do it until you are sure.

Old 08-04-2011, 12:48   #198
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalenger270 View Post
Hi what do you thing about crossing from miami to margarita venezuela with a cruiser boat 32 feets two mercruiser and 200 gallons of gaz via bahamas , turcks , rep domi , puerto rico , guadeloupe , ect........margarita let me known if it's real life or not.
piloto
Definitely off target unless you are asking what is also needed for the woman you will have on board for the trip. But as to the boat, no problem a considerable number of small sportfishermen and such powerboats make the trip every year.
Old 16-04-2011, 10:07   #199

Boat: fastnet 34

my first post, having just read the whole thread all at once...

knowazark, you said it right.

i think some (not all) of you guys are starting from the wrong place. you talk as though you want to install a new piece of equipment and, if that's how you think, women will always disappoint you.

if you'd like to share your dream with a woman you need to be friends with her first and foremost. my advice to you would be to try to think differently, try just liking women, see what it's like to be friends with them. they can be rather wonderful even if you're not sleeping with them! it's true! then you might see beyond the pretty young things who look good (and you think will make your friends jealous) but who don't want to crap in a bucket and are too insecure to take off their high heels and get their hands dirty.

to live aboard i want a comfy bed, a cooker with an oven and a heater for the cold winters.
Old 16-04-2011, 10:13   #200
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: A Woman's Needs

Welcome to CF Ms Lau....
great input...
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2011, 11:01   #201

Boat: Westerly W-35 (Latterly sold as Conway 36 Aft Cockpit)

Good on you Ms Lau.... You hit the nail on the head, great to see you joining and posting.

Now, how tall did you say your heels are? ;>
Old 17-04-2011, 06:35   #202

Boat: fastnet 34

thanks for your welcome, good to be here. pillum - my heels are right at the bottom of my legs, so not very high at all
Old 17-04-2011, 08:57   #203
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

All well and good but for a simpler understanding of men and women and their points of view . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BloomCounty1.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	26254  
Old 17-04-2011, 10:17   #204

Boat: 1967 26ft Sailstar - Lillypad
Send a message via Skype™ to erinsavov

Take it from someone who knows. A female cruiser just wants to be part of the lifestyle and I can bet you that she is already contemplating just what changes she needs to make to adjust to the lifestyle.
But here are a few things that I find necessary as a female cruiser living on her own little sailboat.

1. While under sail she's not going to be too concerned about taking showers and such no more than you are. From my offshore experience a sponge bath in the cockpit was perfect. But when your in that lovely anchorage etc a nice warm shower is essential. The solar bags do not always do the job and on top of that I typically like to shower in the evening or mornings and of course the solar bag is cold. BTW I live on an island in the Virgin Islands. I have to shower in the cockpit and my boat has no through holes. A previous owner has fiberglassed over them. So I purchased a Zodi hot water heater and rigged a spot to hang one of those camping shower/privacy enclosures. The Zodi did not get good reviews but I really like it and it has worked well. Most of the time I put the pump into salt water. Take a totally enjoyable and non water conscious shower and then switch the pump over to a bit of fresh water just to quickly rinse the salt off. The privacy for taking a shower in the cockpit was the hardest to figure out BTW.

2. We female cruisers do our very best to give up curling irons, hair straighteners and blow dryers. But we do still want to use these items on occasion. So have a good inverter. The hair straightener and curling iron are not too bad on the battery. Blow dryer on the other hand is terrible.

3. She will simply want to have room for her clothes and a spot for her toiletries. Where she doesn't have to move a ton of stuff to get to it. Same thing as any guy would want.

4. The person who wrote this is completely ignorant and wrong, offensive and no female would want to be around him....
"Hate to break this to you Greg, but to be succesfull in attracting quality female companions of prime age and decent body mass-index, you should talk to your banker about obtaining financing for a crewed mega-yacht with unlimited air-conditon, TVs, maids, entertainment and an itinerary for good shopping utilizing your hard-earned credit card of course."

5. I am perfectly happy with my little two burner stove. I have no oven and no refrigeration. A small dutch oven can be used to "bake" stuff.

6. I have to use a bucket for my head. I have torn apart a port-a-potty and placed the seat with it's lid on top of bucket. It's gross of course and really look forward to having a real head but in the meantime it works quite well and I dump it, rinse it and put a tiny bit of bleach and some sea water.

Good luck to you and your lady.
Erin
Old 17-04-2011, 13:34   #205
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Amen Erin, well said.
Old 17-04-2011, 13:38   #206
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinsavov View Post
6. I have to use a bucket for my head.
Is that part of the cockpit shower privacy thing?

Old 17-04-2011, 14:12   #207

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinsavov View Post
3. She will simply want to have room for her clothes and a spot for her toiletries. Where she doesn't have to move a ton of stuff to get to it. Same thing as any guy would want.
Well said. I've had male crew that insisted on more space than many women. There just aren't that many differences.

The only consistent gender-based difference I've come up with is that women consistently use more toilet paper than men, to the point where it shows up in provisioning.

There used to be two differences until I instituted an "everyone sits for EVERYTHING" rule on my boats. That took care of that little *ahem* cleaning problem.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2011, 14:20   #208

Boat: 1967 26ft Sailstar - Lillypad
Send a message via Skype™ to erinsavov

Too funny David. No problems with the bucket in the head for privacy. Totally something different though trying to take a shower in the cockpit because 1. My head it too small to shower in and 2. No through holes to drain the shower if the head was big enough.

A/V Auspicious - Too true. There isn't that much difference except the toilet paper usage. Love the Everyone sits for Everything rule :-)
Old 17-04-2011, 14:40   #209
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Is that part of the cockpit shower privacy thing?

Or maybe a tinfoil hat thing??
Old 17-04-2011, 15:30   #210

Boat: Westerly W-35 (Latterly sold as Conway 36 Aft Cockpit)

When cruising there is little difference between men and women...

Three cheers for the "little difference".

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: