Take it from someone who knows. A female cruiser just wants to be part of the lifestyle and I can bet you that she is already contemplating just what changes she needs to make to adjust to the lifestyle.
But here are a few things that I find necessary as a female cruiser living on her own little sailboat.
1. While under sail she's not going to be too concerned about taking showers and such no more than you are. From my offshore
experience a sponge bath in the cockpit
was perfect. But when your in that lovely anchorage etc a nice warm shower
is essential. The solar
bags do not always do the job and on top of that I typically like to shower
in the evening or mornings and of course the solar
bag is cold. BTW I live on an island in the Virgin Islands
. I have to shower in the cockpit
and my boat has no through holes. A previous owner has fiberglassed over them. So I purchased a Zodi hot water
heater and rigged a spot to hang one of those camping shower/privacy enclosures. The Zodi did not get good reviews
but I really like it and it has worked well. Most of the time I put the pump into salt water
. Take a totally enjoyable and non water conscious shower and then switch the pump over to a bit of fresh water just to quickly rinse the salt
off. The privacy for taking a shower in the cockpit was the hardest to figure out BTW.
2. We female cruisers do our very best to give up curling irons, hair straighteners and blow dryers. But we do still want to use these items on occasion. So have a good inverter
. The hair straightener and curling iron are not too bad on the battery
. Blow dryer on the other hand is terrible.
3. She will simply want to have room for her clothes and a spot for her toiletries. Where she doesn't have to move a ton of stuff to get to it. Same thing as any guy would want.
4. The person who wrote this is completely ignorant and wrong, offensive and no female would want to be around him....
"Hate to break this to you Greg, but to be succesfull in attracting quality female companions of prime age and decent body mass-index, you should talk to your banker about obtaining financing
for a crewed mega-yacht with unlimited air-conditon, TVs, maids, entertainment and an itinerary for good shopping
utilizing your hard-earned credit card of course."
5. I am perfectly happy with my little two burner stove. I have no oven
and no refrigeration
. A small dutch oven can be used to "bake" stuff.
6. I have to use a bucket for my head
. I have torn apart a port-a-potty and placed the seat with it's lid on top of bucket. It's gross of course and really look forward to having a real head but in the meantime it works quite well and I dump it, rinse it and put a tiny bit of bleach and some sea water.
Good luck to you and your lady.