Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 08-05-2006, 10:50   #1

Boat: Hans Christian Christina (40') in March 09
Lightbulb A better Pet overboard device.....

Knowing both of my cats, and thier tendancy to slip, fall and otherwise get into trouble after dark..

Does someone make an electronic collar that would set off a warning in the cabin if it gets wet? At least you'd have an idea when they 'got off without you'. Wheels might actually still have his cat if he'd had asuch a device.... Once again my condolances for your loss.

2divers
Old 08-05-2006, 13:24   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Here's an item that I've put on my list to investigate more closely. It looks like it might be light enough to go on a collar.

http://www.mobilert.com/default.asp?id=home

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 14:42   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

And if the cat goes overboard, the problem is the $10,000 EPA violation?
<weg>

You could hook up an "invisible fence" to the lifelines, if they are stainless or rail that would probably work very nicely and stop the cat a foot short of the rail.

Or, buy some luggage minders. These are little gizmos about the size of key fobs that are meant to be put on your luggage. If they wander 50' away from you, an alarm box in your pocket or on your belt sounds off. That would work for the average boat, just put the fob on the cat. (Sorry, no idea what the brand names are, but they are out there.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 16:35   #4

Quote:
And if the cat goes overboard, the problem is the $10,000 EPA violation?
Huh? Come around again.
Old 08-05-2006, 16:46   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Okay, coming around again...There's an EPA no-discharge rule, that decal you need to post on all craft about miles offshore and what you can or can't discharge? and a nice stiff fee for throwing things overboard. I mean, what else is the problem with a cat going overboard? If it has a plastic collar, that's an EPA violation!<VBG>
Old 09-05-2006, 09:20   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The invisible fence has about a 3 ft radius so it would go off if the cat was even on deck any place and no you couldn't use the life lines.

Other than a PFD I can't see what else to do. Most cats aboard I have ever seen don't require anything. Most have a place below they like to hide out in when it gets rough. They are actually pretty agile. I've seen a cat jump between boats easily during a raft up. I really doubt they would slip and fall easily.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
Okay, coming around again...There's an EPA no-discharge rule, that decal you need to post on all craft about miles offshore and what you can or can't discharge? and a nice stiff fee for throwing things overboard. I mean, what else is the problem with a cat going overboard? If it has a plastic collar, that's an EPA violation!<VBG>

I hope your not being serious. Because in that case you better always go swimming naked, wouldn't want that bathing suit to pollute.
will n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:58   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Will-
No, speaking tongue in cheek about the "Cat overboard" situation. Speaking seriously about the MARPOL violation for letting the cat's plastic COLLAR fall overboard though.<G>

That's got nothing to do with swimming, MARPOL covers the DISCHARGE of plastics. On the other hand, if you threw a lycra bathing suit overboard (in glee or disgust<G>) that would be a MARPOL violation. Just like allowing a cat collar to go overboard, and failing to recover it.

Looks like I was wrong about the $10,000, it is now "up to" a half million.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Marine Debris

Garbage dumping restrictions in U.S. waters

• Under federal law, it is illegal for any vessel to discharge plastics or garbage containing plastics into any waters. Additional restrictions on dumping non-plastic waste are outlined below. Regional, state or local laws may place further restrictions on the disposal of garbage. ALL discharge of garbage is prohibited in the Great Lakes or their connecting or tributary waters. Each knowing violation of these requirements may result in a fine of up to $500,000 and 6 years imprisonment.
  • In: Lakes, rivers, bays, sounds and up to 3 miles offshore it is illegal to dump
    • All garbage
    From 3 to 12 nautical miles offshore it is illegal to dump:
    • Plastic
    • Dunnage, lining and packing materials that float
    • All other trash if not ground to less that 1"
    From 12 to 25 nautical miles offshore it is illegal to dump:
    • Plastic
    • Dunnage, lining and packing materials that float
    Outside 25 nautical miles offshore it is illegal to dump:
    • Plastic
    Vessels 26' or longer must display the above information in a prominent place for passengers and crew to read. For a free Garbage Dumping Restrictions sticker, write to: lreid@comdt.uscg.mil and request the "MARPOL PLACARD."
Old 09-05-2006, 10:18   #9

Most Cats

Most are agile enough to avoid falling off. What I'm more worried about is not the cat floating or swimming (although both bring really funny mental images to mind), or the recovery of said cat (which should also be pretty funny), but the knowledge that a cat has left the 'vicinity' of the boat. I fully envision my family below decks at anchor having dinner and missing the splash of a cat caught of guard by a wake ( or in my case probably the full on leap overboard from the bimini after a bird. Indoor house cats are not known to have full compliment of outdoor skills... My are smart like empty bellies on legs

The mobile alert would work well, 48 hours of battery life may be an issue, but hey I love my cats, and if they ever go on deck in the middle of a gale and get washed overboard, I'd like to be able to retrieve them.

2 divers
Old 09-05-2006, 10:36   #10

I see a small niche business here for someone who is electronics minded.

Not me, I deal in water, sewer and concrete. But someone else? probably...
Old 09-05-2006, 11:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
Will-
No, speaking tongue in cheek about the "Cat overboard" situation. Speaking seriously about the MARPOL violation for letting the cat's plastic COLLAR fall overboard though.<G>

Okay, I thought you were saying that if the cat fell overboard with the collar on you'd be fined.

I think that relating the Mobilert to a fine for dumping plastics over is still a bit of a stretch, however. I can't imagine someone throwing a 180 dollar device over for no reason, and generaly those huge fines are for commercial vessels caught dumping, or someone inentionally dumping plastics overboard.

Will
will n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:20   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Will-
No, with the Mobilert type devices, I would assume that even the USCG rashly presumes that your intent is to go retrieve them. OTOH with a cat...well, now you have no choice about that. If the cat had a plastic collar on board, you've GOT to go fetch it.<G>

Which of course is why sailors traditionally shoot craps and play poker. "Man overboard!" Hey, the odds are he owes SOMEONE money, and that's someone who is going to fetch him back onboard. (Honest.<G>)
Old 22-09-2006, 04:16   #13
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
I used to have cats. Like them just fine, but prefer dogs for companionship. Cats just dont give a flying rat's A about you, as long as you can operate a can opener.

What if you got something like a section of fine cargo net, or even a hammock, and trailed it from a stanchion or cleat? If one end is floating in the water, a cat could get his claws into it and climb back aboard like a WWII sailor coming up the net. I am amazed that our Jack Russell can use the swim ladder, but he does. And he has no where near the claw-grip of your average cat.
Old 22-09-2006, 16:49   #14

I got two white kittens in St Maarten about 10 yrs ago and sailed with them solo to Long Island. Before we left I had gently dropped them overboard and left a towel dangling at the stern for them to climb aboard. They hated the water so much I think they climbed up the swim ladder and didn't bother with the towel.

It was hard to keep them off the deck when I tried to sleep... I was single handing and only slept 20 minutes at a time. I would take the two kittens, one in each hand and hold then on my chest as I tried to sleep on the lee berth.

They did manage to escape and headed straight for the deck to grab flying fish. It freaked me out, but we are not heeled to much and they managed to return to the cockpit. It was hot and I didn't have the companionway blocked.

These cats learned to do their biz on a grid made of fishing line rigged into a plastic tray. No litter and disposed in the ocean.

Sancho Panza and Dr Would had offshore sailing resumes at 4 months old!

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overboard